How often should we be weighing in?

Options
I've been using MFP for almost a week now and have been weighing myself every day. While it has helped to make me accountable for each day, I'm worried that it will make me become obsessed. Just wondering how often everyone else weighs in.

Replies

• Culley34
    Options
    Hmmm - you may want to do weekly or biweekly.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I only weigh in every 10 days or so. I have a LONG way to go and don't want to get discouraged if the scale doesn't show a loss every day. But, I log my food and work out every day.
  • pg3ibew
    pg3ibew Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Pick a day, any day. Pick a time, any time. And then weigh yourself in your birthday suit on that day and time, ONCE a week.
  • Kalebdylan
    Kalebdylan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I find myself weighing in too often. I need to try to weigh in only once a week, but I find myself doing it daily. I know this can be discouraging so I hope I can force myself to wait.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    People usually do it weekly, mornings work well!

You can also do it monthly.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I modulate from every day to every three days or so, to sometimes weekly. Daily can be interesting since weight fluctuates so much. I find every 3 days works well for me.
  • cgarand
    Options
    Pick a day, any day. Pick a time, any time. And then weigh yourself in your birthday suit on that day and time, ONCE a week.

But, make sure the shades are pulled or you may find some evil ***** out on the patio with a camera. :)
  • Italiano7
    Italiano7 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week as soon as I wake up.
  • pg3ibew
    Options

But, make sure the shades are pulled or you may find some evil ***** out on the patio with a camera. :)

You figured me out. LOL. My next question was going to be, Where does she live? LOL
  • cgarand
    Options

You figured me out. LOL. My next question was going to be, Where does she live? LOL

I know....but I'm not telling!
  • ktleeanderson414
    Options
    Since I've struggled on and off with an eating disorder, I try not to weigh myself often. I would say once a week or when you feel up to weighing yourself. Just remember! The number on the scale can be deceiving!!
  • pg3ibew
    Options

I know....but I'm not telling!

I'll bring you low cal cookies if you tell. LOL
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I weight myself daily first thing when I wake up....but I am trying to track body fat% loss...

I would do it every day so you get in the habit of it...just my two cents :)
  • rubixcube1974
    rubixcube1974 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Once a week. I think if you try to do it more, you will get discouraged when there isn't a difference after 3-4 days. That once a week weigh in is SOOOO gratifying to see that stupid scale 1-2 lbs lighter
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I weigh myself everyday just to keep an eye on things. Everyone talks about how that can be unhealthy or make you obsessed.....but I think there is a healthy and unhealthy way to do everything. Weighing everyday is only bad if you let it get to you, I'd think.

On that note, I only record official weigh ins once a week. My OFFICIAL weigh ins are generally Monday nights, after my work outs. I use the same scale (at the gym) and wear the same clothes (sports bra/shorts). Those are the only weights I really "count" and/or record.

Another note about weighing in......I actually take a photo of each time I take off another 5lbs. It's been a huge help to have a visual reminder of my progress for when I've hit plateaus and get discouraged. :)
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on you and how easily you think you'll be discouraged if you find you've gained a pound, even if you KNOW it's probably water weight. :flowerforyou:

I think once a week is the general recommendation. I have been weighing about twice a month because I know myself well enough to know how discouraged I will feel if the number didn't go down.
  • traceface71
    traceface71 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In the past I did it daily and almost never made it past week 2 or 3. I found myself obsessing about it and beating myself up if there wasn't any loss or God forbid, a gain. By the end of the day I was saying "screw it" and munching on cheese balls because I wasn't seeing any progress...nope, no progress in that ONE day. Imagine!!

This time I'm holding off and trying to go a week...okay, well I made it 3 days so far. But, I lack self control as evidenced by the cheese balls...anyway, a week from this point forward, at least a week.