Best choice of Chinese food

Options
My friends and I are going out to dinner in a Chinese restaurant and I don't know what's the lowest in calories, chow mein isn't an option, What would you get in a Chinese that's reasonably low in Calories?

Replies

• jlgregory13
    jlgregory13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    You should definitely have some egg drop soup to cut your hunger before you eat. It's tasty and can fill you partially up so you don't eat as much. It also has minimal calories. Good Luck!!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Whether it's on the menu or not, you can order steamed vegetables and rice, and go easy on the rice.
  • km202
    km202 Posts: 112
    Options
    Stick to veggie dishes and if you have chicken, stay away from the breaded options. Your salt is definitely going to go over, but at least you can monitor your calories and carbs!
    Enjoy!!
  • ClaireOBrien5
    Options
    thank you :)
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I had szechuan prawns the other day and it wasn't too bad calorie-wise (avoid crispy stuff as it is deep fried / battered) :smile:
  • annie_banannie
    annie_banannie Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Order something steamed instead of stir-fried. Any good Chinese place can quickly make you a delicious dish of steamed fish or chicken breast with an assortment of vegetables, even if it isn't on the menu.

Get steamed brown rice instead of white or fried rice.

Make sure you tell them to put the sauce ON THE SIDE, because many sauces served in Chinese restaurants contain huge amounts of sugar, fat & salt. It's far better for you to just spoon out as much as you want, rather than letting the kitchen go crazy with a ladle. :)
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    won ton soup is also good.
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I always go with steamed chicken and broccoli with the sauce on the side. The protein and veggies both fill me up and it amazingly makes me think that I'm still eating real chinese food.... well, wait.... I am but a healthier version?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    have a protein shake before you go ..and then go with the steamed veggies and rice (i would go with brown rice and not white)
  • ktleeanderson414
    Options
    Start off with a soup (wonton is my favorite) and when it comes to the actual meal, veggies, veggies, veggies! And brown rice would be okay too. If there isn't very many healthy choices, eat half and drink tons of water or tea to try and fill yourself up. But focus on your friends and having fun! I'm sure they'll be supportive of your healthier lifestyle.
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    for LOW calories, just about anything steamed, with a BIT of brown rice ..... if it's too bland, add a TEASPOON of sauce or a dab of low-sodium soy sauce ......

have fun :drinker:
  • jacksie21
    jacksie21 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    try the wor-wonton soup it has shrimp and chicken or pork along with more vegetables than the regular wonton soup. the sodium might be a little high from the broth if that concerns you. ask for a side of steamed shrimp with a hot sauce for spice, spicey is good for you!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Make sure to order it "sauce on side". And ignore the funny look. :)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I had Chinese chicken lettuce wraps last night and brought half of the chicken home Also had a beef skewer appetizer.
  • firedancer22
    Options
    I agree with previous posters on the steamed protein and veggies with brown rice. My favorite is steamed shrimp with broccoli and carrots, brown rice, and garlic sauce on the side. It's totally delicious, and I barely use any sauce at all.
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Chicken and broccoli
  • hungergames324
    hungergames324 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
  • nangel4u
    Options
    You can get your chicken and brocolli and just get the veggies steamed without any sauce!
  • 1MrsMcG
    Options
    Schezcuan Prawns sounds wonderful. How can we check the calories on that dish?
  • Tebbspcad
    Options
    Chicken & broccolli is a favourite of mine, just add a small portion of boiled rice & you feel full & eaten a healthy(ish) take away! :happy: