Anyone from Australia?

Options
Hi I am a newbie to this website. I love it and it was brought to my attention by a facebook pal who is doing a great job at losing her weight. I notice it is USA based and that is ok. I am able to change from pounds to kilos and calories to kilojoules - helps my math skills and lose weight at the same time!!!

I am interested though if there are any other Aussies using this website and/or if any of you know of a similar site that caters for us. I love adding our Australian food products to the USA based food product list. And it is great once something is saved it is there for next time.

Cheers for now ....

Replies

• adnilem
    Options
    hi lonypony, i would say welcome but i'm only new myself :-)

Yes I'm from Australia, I was just about to post this same topic but you beat me to it! except that i'm terrible with converting pounds and calories, so if anyone can recomend a good online conversion calculator (or free iphone ap) would be very much appreciated. myfitnesspal is a great site, I found it as an iphone ap, very handy, i can log things in on the go.

Anyways, hope you settle in ok
  • Arienna
    Arienna Posts: 913
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!

I am not from Australia though I wish I was!! lol Especially this time of year :P

Good luck to you in achieving all of your goals!
  • barefootbabe
    barefootbabe Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

I am Canadian born but I have lived here in Australia for two and a half years now. I tend to just add products as I go and have built up quite a database for myself.
    As for conversions, it is pretty simple. Kj's to cals = kj's/4.2 Kilos to pounds = kilos*2.2

Feel free to message me if you have any questions in the meantime. Good luck with your journey :flowerforyou:
  • lonypony
    lonypony Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Hi, thanks all for replying. I had to go to work for a few hours and when I came back to add my night meal the record had gone to the next day. Obviously we have a 12 hour difference - anyway I transferred 'Thursdays' breakfast and lunch to now Friday and completed my day!! Will need to remember to check the day up the top of my diary.

I use my calculator on my mobile to convert pounds to kilos and divide kilojoules by 4.2 to get the calorie amount.

I also found when I was re-doing my food diary there were a lot of what I had already listed - so I guess it is a matter of adding if not there and checking under brands etc. For instance Safcol Tuna - earlier today I put in tuna with chilli sauce and had to add it myself. Tonight i put in Safcol Tuna and it came up with it automatically - so there you go.

Oh and by the way if I ate like today I will be 38.5 kilos in 5 weeks. Woo Hoo - I will fade away to nothing. I hope not!!!! :-)
  • jules860
    Options
    hi this is julie from country NSW
    new to this site starting diet tomorrow so will be a great adventure
    this site seems good being able to track at home & on my phone
    glad some on here use kgs

will report back next week see how things are going

julie
  • nick78fitz
    Options
    Hi, good to see some Aussies on here. I have been using this for just over a month and have learned a lot in that time.

Those couple of cheeky beers after work add up (as do the Tim Tams)
    A big bowl of Just Right and large glass of juice adds 550+ calories to the day
    You can treat yourself if you keep everything in moderation. Portion size is critical
    Even a small burger meal from Maccas is pure evil

The calorie counter is a great tool and its great to be able to add Aussie food to the database.

Managed to lose 6.7kgs in just under 6 weeks and not had to adjust the lifestyle too much. One beer every other night instead of 2 a night, 1 biscuit after dinner instead of 3, a walk or bike ride most evenings. Aiming to lose 20kgs to get to 90kgs so I have a lot more energy to play with my first child due next weekend.

To adnilem, there is a free iphone app for unit conversion. Great for cooking qtys as well as calories. Search the app store for convert for free and it should pop up.

Good luck everyone

Nick

420909.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • aaly10
    aaly10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I live in Canberra and it is nice to see Australians here. I started on MFP a year ago but then got slack. I have once again started using it and this time I am going to stick to it. Would be good to see more Australian brands on the database. That would make things so much easier.

I was initially having the problem of adding my meals to the food diary due to the different time zone, but I was able to change the timezone to Australia in 'settings'. It is so much easier now.

Good luck everyone.
  • larsbeachgirl
    Options
    Hi everyone!!! I'm about a week and 1/2 old now and have been looking for some Aussie support (or any support...) - I'm in Sydney...

I think MFP is fantastic - keep you honest with yourself, my only problem is that since starting I think I've had the worst food diary ever! - it's weird!! I am aiming to lose 10-12kg (22-26.4lbs) and realise my lack of exercise is my downfall. I have 2 young children (1 @ home under 3) and find it hard to have 'me' time....

I know no one has written on here for months but for what its worth, I thought I'd write......:drinker:
  • charmwhite
    charmwhite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've been using Free the Apps "Convert Units" app on my itouch to do the kj-cal conversion and found it really useful.
    if anyone can recomend a good online conversion calculator (or free iphone ap) would be very much appreciated
  • larsbeachgirl
    Options
    Oooooo thanks for the tip!! I just got an iPhone will look into it :):):)
  • bluefire1970
    Options
    I reckon there are a fair few of us (Aussies) on here... not sure they all use the forum though... I've been on the site for about 5 weeks... but only looked at the forum for the first time tonight...

Should fix up my signature I suppose... live on the NSW Central Coast... loving the lifestyle... am working really hard to achieve my goals... was 131kg in January 09... am now a much healthier 95kg... chasing down 88kg (would be stoked to get to 86kg... wonder how thin I'd be then... apparently that's my ideal weight)...
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Don't segregate yourselves, being overweight is universal. I'm from England and love hearing from people from all over the world. The american people have a fantastic positive uplifting and vibrant attitude which keeps me on track.
  • shagsywagsy
    Options
    Hey I'm in Canberra too, lemme know if you need any extra support and motivation!
  • jenfur74
    jenfur74 Posts: 3
    Options
    I'm in Sydney, and just joined recently... AND I love it... It's so easy and there are so many helpful and friendly people her for support and motivation.

Jenny.

6170417.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    HELLO!!!

Im from Sydney and trying to "collect" as many friends from near here as possible - I am hoping that eventually we can start a group where we can train or compete in events!!

Please feel free to friend me if you are interested - or just want to speak our language lol!!!
  • mkennedym
    mkennedym Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    i almost moved to australia once.......once!
  • geeky1
    geeky1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Hi and welcome,
    I am from Melbourne and have been using the app since November. It is really good and has heaps of Aussie foods.
    Am happy to have any of you as friends if you like :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    There's lots of us Aussies here, and you will find that there are a lot of local foods in the database too. Make sure you check carefully before you add in new stuff because there are soooooo many duplicate entries which can be a bit of a pain to sort through.
    I cook almost everything myself so usually use generic things like "skinless chicken breast" or "roma tomatoes" and don't get too bothered if they have been entered as a Tesco or Trader Joe's product.
    If you search by brand you will find lots of Aussie stuff on there - like Kraft 100% peanut butter, Be Natural muesli bars, Balfours vanilla slice (don't ask how I know that one!). I haven't looked for timtams but I bet they are there!
    I am getting used to converting calories, but if you'd like an app I use the free Convert Units app too. This is good for converting miles to km, kg to pounds, kilojoules to calories etc.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I've been to Aussie twice (3 week stints) made life long friends and I love it!!! You can add me! I am American but I love Aussie all the way!!!
  • geeky1
    geeky1 Posts: 142
    Options
    There's lots of us Aussies here, and you will find that there are a lot of local foods in the database too. Make sure you check carefully before you add in new stuff because there are soooooo many duplicate entries which can be a bit of a pain to sort through.
    I cook almost everything myself so usually use generic things like "skinless chicken breast" or "roma tomatoes" and don't get too bothered if they have been entered as a Tesco or Trader Joe's product.
    If you search by brand you will find lots of Aussie stuff on there - like Kraft 100% peanut butter, Be Natural muesli bars, Balfours vanilla slice (don't ask how I know that one!). I haven't looked for timtams but I bet they are there!
    I am getting used to converting calories, but if you'd like an app I use the free Convert Units app too. This is good for converting miles to km, kg to pounds, kilojoules to calories etc.

Hi,

What sort of things do you cook for dinner? I have been sticking to the frozen meals because I know the calories for those. Am too scared to try cooking.