I might break up with Weight Watchers...

Options

Replies

• lowerbsnow
    lowerbsnow Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been much happier with MFP than WW. I lost 40 some pounds at WW, but wasn't all that happy there. I don't like weighing there and getting the comments from the person weighing me, who doesn't know anything about me. I like to be in control of myself. Feel free to read my profile.

I love the support from my MFP friends!
  • ILoveChaos
    Options
    I did good with weight watchers a few years ago. Then I got pregnant and quit smoking,so now here I am. I'm kind of doing the weight watchers plan on MFP. MFP is awesome because it is FREE!! I have been doing MFP for 3 weeks and have lost 9 lbs.
  • Just_Pam
    Just_Pam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have done WW twice and both times I lost about 40-50 lbs and then gave up. Point counting is just not 'normal' lol I would not eat certain things because I couldn't find the point value and why convert CALORIES into points values (which isnt so easy now with pro points anyway) when you can just count calories?

I haven't lost as much weight as fast in the last 6 months but after 6 months I also don't feel the need to 'take a break from counting' Its just part of my life now. I believe this time it really is for life. Its just so much easier!

Calories in vs calories out, what could be easier?
  • cherylf145
    Options
    I cancelled my WW and I love what I am doing now so much better.

I have purchased and started using Fitbit a little over a week ago and the combination of tracking my food here and combining the Fitbit tracker has caused me an incredible sense of accountability and ease. Pror to the Fitbit I was using a pedometer and it was just tracking one small lthing. The Fitbit counts everything and it is so acurate!

Fitbit and My Fitness Pal interact and it is as simple as syncing and you can get as involved as you want or simple as you want. It is totally awesome and helpful.

I also love the boards on both.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    I left WW because I lost my job and it stopped working. I got 25 pounds off and I plateaued for 4 months until I joined MFP. I still get emails from them asking for me to come back like a drunk ex-boyfriend. :P
  • BEWILLIAMS001
    Options
    I broke up with WW as well. For me it was not so much about the tracking because you have to track on MFP if you want to be successful. For me it was more about learning how to eat. With WW I had the idea that I can eat whatever I wanted as long as I stayed under my points, and with MFP you are more cautious about what you eat because of the low calorie goal, not to mention that you are not only watching the cal count, but you are watching carbs, fat, protein ect. I am not knocking ww because It is an excellent diet, however MFP seems to be more real. I have only been on MFP a week and not discouraged and I can see myself sticking with this, as with WW, one week and I was pretty much over it. I lost like 4 pounds in the first 5 days here, so we will see where it goes from here. Another good thing is MFP is free.
  • jms3533
    jms3533 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I am a lifetime member of Weight Watchers, and MFP is leaps and bounds better than WW. With MFP, you eat "real" food, and learn how to balance your lifestyle by counting calories and exercising. Keep it simple. Think of your MFP account like your bank account. You don't want an overage, so track everything that goes in your mouth.

This site rocks!
  • herky
    herky Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have never done WW but a couple of my coworkers have been doing it, and it sounds like hell. True, they have been losing weight, but they are constantly worrying about every single point, even in things like a single M&M, and on days they have meetings, they don't eat at all in case they add an extra third of a pound to their weigh-in. MFP is FREE, and it makes more sense to track calories and nutrients (rather than points) so you can make a lifestyle change that you can keep doing. Good luck to you!
  • losinghollyann
    losinghollyann Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just broke up with Weight Watchers after one year, and 30 pounds too. I have been just paying the monthly fee, and not going, for about the past 3 months. I LOVE MFP, though, and find that using this and a Fitbit (which I use, synched with MFP), I am MUCH more involved in my weight loss and fitness goals. I love tracking calories instead of points, and it just seems a more honest way to lose weight. Good luck, and lose that last little bit!!! I, unfortunately, still have about 84 to go. But, I am so much better than I was a year ago and I know that I can do it. So can you.
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I was on WW for about 6 months before coming here. I switched because of the financial aspect and I'm glad I did. I was excited to see I could still lose weight OFF weight watchers and I've been steadily losing weight since exclusively using MFP. Also, their mobile app/barcode scanner is waaaaay better and easier to use. The MFP food database is HUGE compared to WW. I can find store brands of almost everything in MFP database whereas WW had *NONE*.
  • reggie2run
    reggie2run Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I tried WW for a bit, but honestly it drove me nuts doing the points thing.

MFP is simply amazing!! Enough said. :drinker:
  • keepersmom8
    Options
    I've done Weight Watchers (more than once), Herbal Magic, Zone and who knows what else. This is working for me like nothing else has.
  • mdmorgan25
    mdmorgan25 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi Meredith! That's my name too! :)

I wasn't having much success with WW and decided to try MFP since it was FREE! I was doing WW on line and my weight wasn't really moving. I logged my last day of WW into MFP and found that although I was sticking to my points allowance I was very high on carbs and sugars. I would not have known this if I hadn't started MFP. Anyhow, I find MFP works much better, has a better database of foods, is FREE and best of all it is working for me!! I say ditch WW.

Best of luck!
    Meredith
  • alliejoberry
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers for a few weeks about a year ago. It didn't really work for me, since I couldn't stay under my points. Of course, when I started using MFP, I had the advantage of seeing a dietician, so she helped me a lot.

At this point, if I tried WW again I could probably do it, but tracking on MFP is so easy to do, I prefer to do it this way. Especially since it's easier to find out calories than points. I actually started using Sparkpeople.com before I tried this site (now I use both, here for tracking and Sparkpeople for resources) and I found that I like the SP website a lot better than the one for WW.

I think the reason WW works so well is because it's just a way of tracking food and exercise. So to me, tracking on here seems like pretty much the same thing; it's just a matter of individual preference between the two.
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also left WW, several times and think.....I should go back....then money always stops me. I realize though it isn't Weight Watchers making me lose weight. It is planning my food, Logging it, and exercising. For me, I think so many years of WW has screwed up my metabolism. I tell ya, IF I eat the 1200 calories the FMP says I should, plus eat my exercise calories I don't lose weight. So I am trying to find a balance.

When I left WW It was the old point system and I was down to 18 points a day and I was starving always! I was near my goal weight and i couldn't lost that last ten pounds.....I wound up leaving and gaining...here and there....then all of a sudden another 50 pounds snuck up on me!!! So here I am needing to lose 70 pounds!

Most important....right now is to NOT gain any weight through the holidays!

To all of the EX WW's, please Friend me I need the HOLIDAY SUPPORT!
  • mocha106
    mocha106 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Do you go to meetings or are you only a online member? I am a lifetime member of WW (although I am not actively going to meetings). If you are within the healthy weight range for your height, I suggest that you declare goal so you can get to lifetime status. That way you can go to as meetings that you want without having to pay. I like the MFP online tracker a lot better than WW's. I don't like that fact the WW changes their plan every couple of years and you have to re-learn the plan. Since you have been doing WW for some time, you have all the necessary tools to succeed. Good luck on your journey!
  • Jeff0416
    Jeff0416 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I tried Weight Watchers for Men right after the first of this year. I hate the new system they have. I quickly switched to MFP because my wife was having good results. A few years ago I had good success with the WW points system. I did add all the weight back I had lost though lol. MFP along with running I have lost over 50 lbs. Hopefully I will have better long term results keeping it off than I did with WW. I continue to track my calories through MFP even though I hit goal weight several months ago. So far so good. Good luck!
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    The main reason I never joined WW was the cost. I always said if they'd pay me back all that money at the end, when I reached my goal, I might consider joining. Money is a great motivator. LOL.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey Y'all,

I've been doing WW for about a year and a half now. I lost 30 pounds; but find myself getting sick of points tracking. I still have about 10 pounds to go for Goal and have yet to get there.

Has anyone decided to leave WW and found better success here? The message boards here, alone, seem a LOT friendlier than WW. One time, they were just snarky and rude.

I think it would be better to just track calories and excercise-instead of having to always figure out points.

(Plus, I did a 10K yesterday and the excercise function at WW groups certain speeds together. I should get more credit for walking at 4mph and higher, than a slower 3mph pace..)

Any advice or input you can give me would be great! Anyone who has tried both, let me know!

Maybe this can help me lose those last 10 pounds....

I've done both...lost 75 pounds on WW (before getting pregnant with my 3rd...you can't stay on WW while pregnant). In my opinion, the support from the weekly meetings were invaluable! Much like the support you CAN get on here with a good, quality group of friends.

Tracking calories through my app on my phone, I think, is easier though. And I agree with an earlier post, if MFP works for you-SAVE the extra money! ;-)
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I made the switch too - WW to MFP and found MFP to be a more active community and friendlier. I switched for health reasons because I needed to count carbs not points and I find MFP much better. Plus it's FREE. Win-Win for me.