Is having a very high bpm dangerous?

Options
I ran/walked a 10k today and when I was running my heart rate was around 181bpm. I'm a 31yr old female, 160lbs and 5ft7in so theoretical heart rate shoul be about 189? This means I was at 95%... Is this dangerous or am I just incredibly unfit? p.s. evertime I exercise I feel light headed.

Just want to put my mind at rest. xxx

Replies

• mf0u1098
    mf0u1098 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Girl, go to a doctor.
  • jenniferstanton
    jenniferstanton Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Mine has gotten that high. I'm 5'9, 40 years and weigh around 148 and do a lot of cardio. I believe it's how fast your hear rate can get back to normal that's important. If you can get that high and it regulates quickly your ok.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    There is variation in max heart rate.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    The theoretical maximum is not the actual for each individual. You can determine your max by going for a run and then sprinting up a hill all you've got for 200 yards and then reading your HRM. Its possible in the running sections you were going way to hard I would recommend going to a doctor for a check up prior to starting cardiovascular exercise though.
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    Definitely speak with your doctor. That is a very high percentage, and it can have serious effects if you are not under supervision. Good luck, and ALWAYS listen to your body. If you feel faint, dizzy, sick, etc, STOP IMMEDIATELY! You can do more harm than you realize.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mine has been that high...when I was really out of shape. Take it slow, and build up that cardio vascular base.

And focus on how fast your heart rate gets back down into a normal range.

I'd imagine your resting heart rate is probably fairly high too. Some of us have naturally high resting heart rates, but even those can be lowered with exercise.
  • mf0u1098
    mf0u1098 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's frightened me a little to be honest, I just felt so light headed and exhausted. Still feel absolutely shattered now. I do 1-2hrs in the gym x3 a week but I mix the cardio with weights so whenever I start to get light headed (usually within about 5mins at 11min/mile pace which is slow...) I just switch to weights till I feel better. I'll book in to the doctors this week xxx
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Mine gets that high when I'm running, especially during a race when I'm excited, and I consider myself in very good shape. Good blood pressure. Good resting heart rate. I don't get light headed, though. If it worries you, it's definitely worth checking out.
  • littlecar1
    littlecar1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My bpm has been that high on quite a few occasions when I have exercised hard, but it always comes back down quickly and I have never felt light headed.

Maybe time to check with your doctor. Things like low blood pressure can cause light headedness I believe, so definitely worth getting it checked.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    There is variation in max heart rate.

This. Yours might be higher than you calculated. I'm about the same size and age as you and I've gotten mine up to the mid 170s doing HIITs.

Also, check blood pressure. If you are feeling light headed your blood pressure might be too low. Either way, talk to the doctor.
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I learned to stay away from high amounts of sodium before I start to exercise. Normally my heart rate on average was around 15% higher doing the same exercises at my normal pace.
  • Ant_the_old_keith_lemon
    Options
    i am the same age and have seen mid 180s... i know this is high but so too was my intensity, if it bothers you back out beofre you hit 175 until you build up your stamina.

i have built up an endurance where i can hold 170 for three mins before the pain sets in - then i have to back out. on a spinning class this morning i hit 178 and was buzzing from it.. hell yeah, i am confident now that i am not going to drop dead with cardio.

but get your heart checked out professionally before hitting it super hard.

FYI if you are 31yrs with a 189bpm you were at 101% in the 220-age rule - but this rule is a myth so i am told..
  • IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I would wonder how you fueled before your work out.

My heart rate gets that high when I am pushing myself my hardest. I don't think that heart rate is, in and of itself, dangerous, but it's a combination of where your fitness is at and what you are putting in your body before you exert yourself that is also going to factor in.
  • AnitaS71
    AnitaS71 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The number would not concern me. Being light headed and dizzy would. When I was in my 30s and in great shape, I would sometimes even hit the 190s in a hard run, but I felt fine, so I wasn't concerned. Now that I'm in my 40s and in horrendous shape (my profile picture is old & meant to be motivational), I don't have that issue. I got close to 180 once and was dizzy, so I stopped running. If it is a recurring thing, I would definitely consult a doctor. Always listen to your body though.
  • FitTeenager
    Options
    I'm 16 and doctors have checked me up saying my heart is okay, but today my HRM when I was doing hip hop abs hit 231. That's definitely not normal, I know, but the weirdest thing is that I feel very good, my heart doesn't feel like it is going out of my chest, I don't get light headed or feel the urge to stop. Maybe my HRM is broken? Btw how can I calculate my average heart rate??
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Mine gets that high during intense cardio like sprints, running, or really heavy lifting in supersets.

if you feel faint, slow down and walk

talking to the doctor is a good idea, but don't be too frightened yet. you may just need to not push SO HARD during workouts.

have you taken your resting heart rate? if your resting rate is high, your workout rate will be higher than normal too (usually) so take that into consideration
  • daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I'd go get a basic check up, just to be on the really safe side.

that said--I'm 25 and on my runs I can get up to 185/188ish if I speed up to much, go up a big hill, etc. A big part of it is recovery, and within 30 seconds I'm back down in a better range. I try not to get over 175 on my runs these days, but sometimes that happens. I just make sure it's not prolonged.

one thing i've been told helps tremendously is to do some lower HR work--like faster walks on off-running days. Supposedly working at 50%-70% or so will help overall heart strength and help lower your HR on more intense workouts (like your runs). I've just started experimenting with this...so I can't tell you yet from experience if it works :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I do that often. As long as you feel good otherwise, I don't think it's a huge concern. You may want to bring it up with your doctor, especially if you get very short of breath at the same time (there is a benefit to short bursts in the high range, where you are out of breath and all), but in general, the % of "max" heart rate is not exact and not always the best guide. How you feel is a better way to tell.

BTW, max heart rate is based more on age for an accurate measure. They take resting heart rate and other things into account as well.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    The number would not concern me. Being light headed and dizzy would. When I was in my 30s and in great shape, I would sometimes even hit the 190s in a hard run, but I felt fine, so I wasn't concerned. Now that I'm in my 40s and in horrendous shape (my profile picture is old & meant to be motivational), I don't have that issue. I got close to 180 once and was dizzy, so I stopped running. If it is a recurring thing, I would definitely consult a doctor. Always listen to your body though.

This...I am 44 and (I think) in good shape, and mine often go as high as 180 during a hard run....I slow down and it drops...If you feel dizzy or sick or have heart issues in the family, get it checked out, but I would not worry too much.....