C25K question

Options
I'm sure this is going to sound like a really dumb question! But is there a big difference between running and jogging?

I was looking over the C25K program for use on a treadmill. In reference to speek, the page I was looking at said run as slowly as possible. It says that if you can run more slowly, you're running too fast.

I've always thought of jogging as slow running, but I could be wrong. I just wasn't sure if those instructions meant to sort of jog instead of run.

I don't think I know HOW to run. Can anyone clarify?

Replies

• vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Sorry that I have no advice to give, but I would like to see what others say. I just started this, and I've never been a runner/jogger/etc.

Grats on making a change, though! Just jump on in and do the first part.
  • xbittersweet
    Options
    I jog. I don't jog as slowly as possible and I don't flat out run. Speed comes after endurance
  • yallcallmedeb
    Options
    When you jog, there is 1 foot on the ground at all times. When you run, there is a time that both feet are off the ground at the same time.

So, to go as slow as you can, you must jog!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Its all in a name... But a run by any other name would feel as sweet!

I don't think there is any value in worrying about the name... There is more value in just doing it.
  • PurpleMilly
    PurpleMilly Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm doing C25K & googled this question recently! I don't think there is a difference - some people say there's a speed cut off but no-one agrees what that is. IMO it's like the Olympic walking rules - if both of your feet are off the floor at the same time, you're running!

You might want to read some more C25K programmes - most say you shouldn't try & run fast when you start but I've never seen one that says to run as slowly as you possibly can
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Jogging is slow running. In the version of c25k that I am doing they never use the word jog anywhere, they always say run. The idea is to run (jog) very slowly so you don't exhaust yourself and give up before you even give it a chance (like I have in the past). You need to work the muscles gently at first, gradually building up your endurance. I am told speed will come later. I am still a very slow runner (jogger) at week 7, but I can do it a lot longer now :-)
  • jayrod422
    jayrod422 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    In starting out the c25k you should just jog at whatever pace you feel comfortable at.. Don't expect to be fast by any means.. In order to really "run" you need to establish a running base fitness for you body. After a few weeks you will really start to notice a difference in how you jog/run and your body will be more conditioned to it..

Congrats on making the jump to the c25k program.. When I first started in I thought I was gonna die after running for 1 minute.. Now (6 months later) I am easily running 6 miles plus.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    BTW - If you look around the forums over at runnersworld.com you will find hundreds of different answers to this question. Don't worry about the semantics; just get out there and do it. :bigsmile:
  • rudimae
    rudimae Posts: 107
    Options
    Thanks for all the answers! It doesn't matter to me what it is called, I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be doing anything wrong if I started off at what I considered to be a slow jog.

And slow it will be! When I first started trying to get more healthy, the fastest speed I could manage to walk on the treadmill was 2 mph!! I've increased my speed a LOT, but I'm still not fast. If someone had told me a year ago that I was considering running, I'd have laughed in their face. I'm not sure I'm ready for this step, but I won't know if I don't try.

It's the first exercise related thing that I'll be trying without my husband (as he is not able to run), so I wanted to make sure I would be doing it right. Thanks again!