Thanksgiving

Options
Hello MFP's!

I was thinking about Thanksgiving this morning; all the yummy food and fellowship with friends and family. And first I wanted to let all you know that I am very thankful for all of you that are on this healthy weightloss journey with me. You guys are awesome and give such great support and advice. Second, I was wondering if any of you have a certain agenda when tackling the food on Thanksgiving? I usually don't over eat on Thanksgiving, I'm more of a graser(sp?). I just wanted to see of any of you guys are going to be keeping to you calorie max. or if you were going to allow yourself to enjoy all the food. Or if you have found a way to eat what you want without going over you limit. Just curious I guess.

I am going to attend a 90 min. spinning class on Thanksgiving morning, and with that I will be burning about 1000 calories. So I am not too worried about going over my calories,(even though I was going to allow myself what I wanted anyways).

I would appreciate any advice and input that may have. Thanks,

:heart: mandakay:heart:

Replies

• mandakay
    Options
    Hello MFP's!

I was thinking about Thanksgiving this morning; all the yummy food and fellowship with friends and family. And first I wanted to let all you know that I am very thankful for all of you that are on this healthy weightloss journey with me. You guys are awesome and give such great support and advice. Second, I was wondering if any of you have a certain agenda when tackling the food on Thanksgiving? I usually don't over eat on Thanksgiving, I'm more of a graser(sp?). I just wanted to see of any of you guys are going to be keeping to you calorie max. or if you were going to allow yourself to enjoy all the food. Or if you have found a way to eat what you want without going over you limit. Just curious I guess.

I am going to attend a 90 min. spinning class on Thanksgiving morning, and with that I will be burning about 1000 calories. So I am not too worried about going over my calories,(even though I was going to allow myself what I wanted anyways).

I would appreciate any advice and input that may have. Thanks,

:heart: mandakay:heart:
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    In the past, what I have done is just take a tiny bit of everything. We have a huge Thanksgiving dinner with all the traditionals. I have found that if I take like a big tablespoon of everything (green bean salad, mashed potatos, seven layer salad, etc, etc...) and then a little extra Turkey, I end up with a fairly full plate but less calories than if I took full servings of everything. I also am not full to the point of not moving like most people will admit. Then, if the craving is unbearable, I allow myself a VERY small sliver of pumpkin pie (usually about 1/4 of a slice). This is satisfying and I don't feel terrible about it. But, like you are planning, I usually also go to the gym that morning to help me feel less guilty. If you think about it, it is only one day and if it's the only day that you go over your calories, it shouldn't put you behind on your weight loss goals. This is just my opinion.
  • Najah5150
    Options
    Mandakay~
    To be honest with you, I don't plan on tracking my calories on Thanksgiving or the day after. Thanksgiving and the day after are my two favorite days out of the year. On those days, I get to eat food that I don't have all year except for the Thanksgiving holiday. My family is from the south so when they cook....they COOK!!! This year I don't plan on over eating like I did last year. I was REALLY:ohwell: bad last year. I look forward to these two days every year though. I will probably go walking on Thanksgiving day but I'm not too sure yet since I will be out of town. So, if I don't workout on Thanksgiving or the day after, I will definitely be getting back in the groove of things on Saturday.

GL,
    Naj:flowerforyou:
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I'm a veggie, so you would think that Thanksgiving isn't an overeating experience -- turkey doesn't have the calories though - mashed potatoes, sweet potato casserole, and dessert really pack on the calories.

I already told husband that between noon "dinner" and 7ish "supper," I will be using the elliptical at the hotel, but since I'll be out of town (with no MFP :sad: ), I'm not going to obsess. I think sometimes you just let it go for a day.
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    This is going to be a difficult day for a lot of people. These are good ideas. Last year I did a Turkey Trot (5k). It was so much fun. This year, I think I'll just run the hills around my house. Then I'll go home and burn more energy cooking and getting everthing ready. I actually volunteered to make all of the vegetable plates so if I do taste, it'll be all good stuff... Yay! :bigsmile:

Have a great day!!!
    Angela :flowerforyou:
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Well with no gym around the corner, (big sigh) and still having a tender ankle I don't know whether I will get on the treadmill or not. I usually just eat a little of everything too. I would love to try and make a healthier Thanksgiving but my troops will revolt. If it was just me there would be turkey, brown rice and a steamed veggie:bigsmile: but I don't think anyone would go for that. So I will be the one cooking a traditional meal. Then I think I will practise on making different types of food during the year to find what would make a healthier and tastier Thanksgiving next year. I can work on different recipes and see who likes what then pull it all together for the next one. I just didn't think about it far enough ahead of time. I believe it is a time to enjoy family and I don't want to make them all feel like they are dieting. But I am slowing converting everyone over to more healthy food every day. My hubby even ate fish last night without :grumble: ing LOL Everyone please have a happy thanksgiving and if you are traveling, travel safely.
  • denmother46
    denmother46 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I usually am OK with the dinner itself - can be satisfied with small portions. Skipping desert is no problem as well. The problem is all the appetizers and cocktails/wine beforehand. I think I will do extra cardio in the morning and then show up late at my brothers house. I typically go early to help my sister-in-law, but she ends up doing everything anyway and I end of stuffing my face with junk before dinner:grumble:

Not this year........:happy:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I am going to enjoy my Thanksgiving dinner with my family and have no guilty feelings or regret. The next day I will eat right….all day. Saturday I will eat right then go to my sisters for cake and coffee with the rest of the family. I will enjoy my full size piece of cake right along with everyone. After that I will continue to eat right the rest of the day. That one piece of cake isn’t going to put me that much over my calorie count for the day. When we have birthdays I do the same thing. I enjoy my time with my family and have no regrets. That is how I did it the whole time I was losing and I still lost all of excess my weight. I have kept it off for 3 years doing the same thing.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Loretta_Jo is that your cat? What a cute pic. I understand where you are coming from too. I plan on enjoying all the special occasions too without regret. ps. my cat is jealous of your cat's hat.:bigsmile:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Loretta_Jo is that your cat? What a cute pic. I understand where you are coming from too. I plan on enjoying all the special occasions too without regret. ps. my cat is jealous of your cat's hat.:bigsmile:

No that isn’t my cat. That’s just a really cute cat picture that I have had for a long time. My cats would shake a hat off as soon as I put it on their heads. lol I have bought sunglasses for them…they shook them off. I bought a tiara for one of them and she shook that off as soon as I sat it on her head. She said no thank you. lol
    :flowerforyou:
  • natashav
    natashav Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    thanksgiving is so good
    i am plannin on takin a break for thanksgivin and eating alot and i mean alot then i will go back to my diet. if you splurge one day it wont hurt its not like youll gain alot of weight it takes time to just gain 2 pounds unless your retaining water. which i sometimes do
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    My husband and I have each lost 15 lbs in the past 8 weeks, so we decided to just pretend that MFP doesn't exist for that day (sorry guys!). We will be back on track by Saturday (have to enjoy leftovers on Friday!). :love: