Confused :/

Options
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this and I was really excited when I signed up and saw that I should reach my target weight on October 19th.
So when I saw that, I was like: " YES! I can do this! " because that's like a little more than a month which would be a dream come true!

But now...I'm really confused because, when I now put in the data about the stuff that I eat it says that I would lose less weight in the next 5 weeks.

So this is kind of embarrassing to me but to be more accurate, I'll post the numbers that it says.

So I wanted to lose 20kg - From 80kg down to 60kg and signing up, myfitnesspal was like: "You'll reach that goal on October 19th", but now when I put in the data it says: If every day were like today... You'd weigh 77.6 kg in 5 weeks.

This doesn't seem right, can anyone please explain this to me, because that kind of frustrates me an I've only started using this website yesterday..

Edit: I accidentally posted this in the "Fitness and Exercise" section before.

Replies

• mgsupp
    Options
    i think it is telling you that if ate and exercised exactly as you did on that day and did not change a thing from day to day your weight may be that low. it changes everyday depending on what you eat for that day. i take it as a goal give or take a couple pounds.
  • NyimaR
    NyimaR Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    To meet your target in a month you'd have to loose about 10lb per week. That's crazy unhealthy! I'm guessing you set up the max weight loss of 2lb per week (probably not the best way to loose sustainably) which would mean 22 weeks to get your weight down.
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    I think it must have been a blip telling you that you could lose 20kg by 19th Oct - short of cutting off a leg.

I started out at around your starting weight and my goal is 65kg. I think it took me about 9 months to achieve it - not gunning it, but just learning good habits so that once the weight was off, it stayed off (which is has pretty much - +3kg in 2 years).

Compared to some, you don't have that much to lose, so expect it to take a bit longer, although if you stick to a reasonable calorie goal (please not the 1200!) you'll see results quite quickly. I've got mine set to just shy of 1400/day, but also had MFP calculate my BMR at my then-current weight so that I knew that if I landed in between the two figures, I would still be losing and doing well.

At the end of each day, once you complete your diary, it'll run a "if every day was like today" calculation and predict your weight at the end of 5 weeks.
  • Absref71
    Absref71 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If u lost that much you'd need to see a doctor, uv gotta keep realistic goals or ul set urself up for failure. 2 pounds a week is doable but it isn't easy, prepare to be consistant and patient and you will get ur results
  • LvL1Critter
    Options
    Well I do realize that it isn't easy to lose weight but I was like: 20kg in a month doesn't sound much, since my brother lost a lot of weight in a month too (and he is completly healthy).

Could it be that it showed that amount of weightloss till ocotober 19th because I wrote that I was willing to exercise 5 times a week for 40min?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    No. You should be working out 40 min five times a week anyway, and even so, this tool on this site will not load more than a 1 kg loss per week. It's not a good plan, and you'll just likely gain it back - they call it yo-yo dieting when you lose a lot quickly but don't learn the lessons you need to learn.

20 kg in 5 weeks is not doable, so get out of that mindset, unless you do it under medical supervision.

Aim for 1 kg a week (2 pounds) Max... It's day 2....you know stress makes it harder to lose, right? :wink:

• LvL1Critter
    Options
    Yeah I know that stress makes it harder, just as I said, I'm new to all this weigh-loss stuff so I don't really know how many kg are a lot to lose in a month or not :)

Thanks for all the answers guys! Now I feel better :D

Oh and does anyone have a diet plan of some sort because I kind of have no idea how to get started, I like veggies and fruit so that's not the problem. If anyone has suggestions on dietplans or whatever, please comment :)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The easiest way to do it and to sustain the loss long term - which is what you want - is to stay under the calories that MFP sets for you and to eat less processed foods. Watch it for a few weeks and adjust from there.

My friend summarizes it as stop eating white things: white sugar, white flour, white rice, potatoes
  • Mookz0r
    Mookz0r Posts: 143
    Options
    Yeah I know that stress makes it harder, just as I said, I'm new to all this weigh-loss stuff so I don't really know how many kg are a lot to lose in a month or not :)

Thanks for all the answers guys! Now I feel better :D

Oh and does anyone have a diet plan of some sort because I kind of have no idea how to get started, I like veggies and fruit so that's not the problem. If anyone has suggestions on dietplans or whatever, please comment :)

Log a few days of what you eat normally, without thinking about cutting back and then you'll be able to see patterns - like if you're snacking loads on pointless stuff or racking up hundreds of calories on coffee, then you can cut them out without even touching your meals. If that's not enough, then look at what you're eating - first in terms of portion size (so log the warts and all properly!) and then the components (lots of bready snacks? Not so good)

I did that and realised that I was snacking to the tune of 700 calories a day, having 6 cups of coffee and double the recommended portion size of rice/pasta/potatoes, so cut all that back to a healthy amount and lost all the weight I wanted to... with no diet plan so to speak!

If you want quick, drastic results that teach you nothing about how to change your current eating habits so that you keep the weight off, then do Slim Fast or whatever other crash diet is in fashion at the moment.

Oh, and I did lose 4kg in a week once - I was very, very ill and couldn't actually eat more than a slice of bread a day. Not something I would recommend!