Best order for food and exercise...

Options
Hi!

I was just curious to see whether it is better to eat before or after exercise.
Today, for example, I did an hour of tae bo as soon as I got up and then had a bowl of porridge and a banana...Was this the best way to do it??

Thanks x

Replies

• moonpie13
    Options
    Anyone? I just want to know so I know how to do it from now on :smile:
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I don't know, I would like to know though!
  • TrefG
    TrefG Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    It's a good question. I always exercise before I eat as I find I am motivated to eat less that way. Does that help?
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    both.

eat protein + slow releasing carbs pre

eat protein + fast carbs after

example:
    BEFORE- 1/2 cup oatmeal with egg whites
    AFTER (within 30min is optimal)- 1 banana + whey protein
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You will hear both sides of this.

My opinion is "do what YOUR body tells you is best". When I workout in the evening I usually get off work, go home, eat dinner, wait about 30 minutes, then workout. If I workout in the morning, however, I usually eat after. It depends on how your body feels. In the evenings if I don't eat first I don't have any energy. In the mornings, however, if I eat first then workout I feel like I'm going to throw up. If you eat before make sure it isn't something too greasy or "heavy" that is goign to make you feel sick when you work out. If you eat after, make sure you aren't so famished that you undo all your hard work during your workout. I always have a post workout snack with some protein when I workout in the evenings.
  • country91
    country91 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You will hear both sides of this.

My opinion is "do what YOUR body tells you is best". When I workout in the evening I usually get off work, go home, eat dinner, wait about 30 minutes, then workout. If I workout in the morning, however, I usually eat after. It depends on how your body feels. In the evenings if I don't eat first I don't have any energy. In the mornings, however, if I eat first then workout I feel like I'm going to throw up. If you eat before make sure it isn't something too greasy or "heavy" that is goign to make you feel sick when you work out. If you eat after, make sure you aren't so famished that you undo all your hard work during your workout. I always have a post workout snack with some protein when I workout in the evenings.

This^ - I always eat before and have my protein right after a workout.
  • moonpie13
    Options
    Brilliant, thanks all!

I suppose I did it that way as I thought my body would burn from the stored fats, then by eating after my metabolism will be working quicker and it will help me recover, but I feel not so concerned that there is a way I 'Should' be doing it now :smile:
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A really good book that addresses this question, and other similar questions, is "Which Comes First, Cardio or Weights?: Fitness Myths, Training Truths, and Other Surprising Discoveries from the Science of Exercise" by Alex Hutchinson. As mentioned above, he recommends some protein sometime in the 2 hours following an work out.

http://www.amazon.com/Which-Comes-First-Cardio-Weights/dp/006200753X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347213210&sr=8-1&keywords=weights+or+cardio+first
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    This is not scientific, but I always eat before doing anything else first thing in the morning. When I exercise, I try to eat afterward rather than before. I'm a daytime/evening exerciser.