Running and Lifting

Options
Hi guys, got a question... or two. A little background first.
I run, currently 4 days a week, but I will be bumping it up to 5 in the next week or two as I start serious training for my next half marathon the end of November. I also rock climb, two or three days a week for about an hour at a time, possibly more. Its mostly bouldering, so short spurts of hard effort, followed by standing around. Usually I climb the 50 ft wall once or twice a week. Effort wise its a lot like running a mile at a good clip.
Anyway I want to pick up some weight training to improve both my running and my rock climbing and because I just like lifting. My two questions are what do you think would be a good weight training program, and how many days a week would be appropriate? I don't want to over train or hurt myself.

Replies

• EdgyMcSterious
    Options
    Wow, sounds like you're pretty fit already. I might hold off on the lifting until after the half marathon.

I'm a lot like you, I like to do a lot of different things to keep it interesting.

I might try to stick with a basic full body lifting routine.

Something like: Dead Lift, Squats, Bench Press, Military Press and Pull ups.

These exercises will work all of the major muscle groups and it won't take too much time so you could do it on a day when you were doing something else.

I'm considering trying the Crossfit Endurance workout for the next few months. It's a combination of lifting and Running Intervals. You might want to look into it.

I hope this helps or at least gives you some ideas.

Brian
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Well by your pic, you look amazing! I have always lifted 4 days a week; upper and lower split routines each getting hit twice with mostly compound movements however I stopped doing lower body when I was about 12 weeks out from my 1/2 next month. The increase in mileage took a toll on my legs already and combining it with lifting my running took a drastic hit. My marathon is far more important right now and my legs thank me everyday. After my 1/2 I'll hit lower back up hard core. You can definitely do both as its all individual but pay attention to how your pace is effected and how you feel. If you must lift I would only do legs once a week.
  • nmalek1025
    Options
    Check out the Body For Life weight training program. It has a great set-up and includes the amount of reps and sets to do. Very straightforward and basic.http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training
  • heatherrose9
    heatherrose9 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Bump:)
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    Check out the Body For Life weight training program. It has a great set-up and includes the amount of reps and sets to do. Very straightforward and basic.http://bodyforlife.com/library/exercise/weight-training
    hmmm thanks for this, looks super simple and manageable. I might just give it a try.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, I also weight train and take kickboxing, spinning, muscle fitness class and have done crossfit all in conjunction with 1/2 marathon training.

My last 1/2 marathon was hilly! I felt so prepared for it because I knew my body was as prepared as I could be.

My weight training...dead lifts, squats, lunges, sumo sqauts, walking lunges, leg press, calf raises....I also work upper body...I alternate my muscle groups. I don't lift the same group 2 days in a row. I have a rest day before my long run day. Otherwise I workoout 5 days a week, with 6 days of running.

I know all that I do has helped me with speed and endurance. My 5k time is 3.5 minutes faster than it was and my 1/2 marathon timeis a whopping 10 mins faster than what it started out.

2 weeks before a race I start my taper. One week before I'll do some easy runs, but nothing else.

Listen to your body, what works for someone else might not work for you....