Sweet potato as a snack

Options
jess1992uga
jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
Hey guys-
Trying to gain weight but hate Boost Plus shakes my docs have me on so looking for alternatives. Need to be 300-360 calories and I was wondering if anyone had ideas using my fav food of sweet potatoes. If not I also love:
Bananas
Bagels (or any bread really)
Prunes (really any fruit)
Yogurt

I don't eat red meat and can't process animal fats.

Replies

• kwmarissa
    kwmarissa Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Sweet potato fries (: They're pretty tasty.
  • Punthank
    Options
    Put a thin drizzle of olive oil in a baking dish, layer thinly sliced sweet potatoes with thinly sliced onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat the prior ingredients beginning with the oil..so you have 2 layers. Bake at 350 degrees until tender. It takes about 45-60 minutes. Yummy especially the second day!!!!! Enjoy!!!
  • lilanniefarnum
    lilanniefarnum Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sounds Good!!! ;-9
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Anyone have ideas for dorm room style (only have microwave). I was thinking sprinkling some raisins on top, but not sure if that would be too sugary and bad for me.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Mash the sweet potato's up, add a little brown sugar, cinnamon, and I use smart balance omega 3 butter. It's delicious and a fantastic sweet treat! Could even use the splenda version of brown sugar or stevia, haven't tried those yet because I'm using up the last bit from my cookies that I made for my boss' wedding. :) You can cook them in the microwave to make them soft enough to mash. ^_^
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i do a sweet potato mash. maybe microwave your sweet potato until it's soft and you can mash it like a mashed potato. add some honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, butter, and a tablespoon of cream cheese. mix it all up until it's smooth and enjoy! to me, this tastes like a pumpkin pie. if you really want to add some calories, add a dollop of whipped cream!
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i always mic my potato...

peel it then poke holes all over it with a fork/knife....
    microwave for ~2min (depending on size and microwave) then flip and mic for 2min again

i usually cut it in half and sprinkle cinnamon on it

if you have calories (which you do) then yes, raisins are delicious...also, maple syrup, OH MY GOODNESS YUMMY! it would be a GREAT post workout carb source! :)
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Put a thin drizzle of olive oil in a baking dish, layer thinly sliced sweet potatoes with thinly sliced onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Repeat the prior ingredients beginning with the oil..so you have 2 layers. Bake at 350 degrees until tender. It takes about 45-60 minutes. Yummy especially the second day!!!!! Enjoy!!!

I do this. I slice the sweet potatoes into the shapes of french fries. I tend to mix them with regular potatoes, and also add sliced apple sometimes. And I add grated cheese towards the end, until it melts.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    I bake them and put them in the fridge. I like them cold and plan on adding them to my breakfasts on busy days. It's quick and easy to just grab one and eat it.
  • geezer99
    Options
    For Microwave.
    Slice the sweet potatoes thin, I don't peel them
    mix with olive oil and spices (I avoid salt and use garlic powder, onion powder then choose hot (as in cayenne or black pepper) or spiced (as in cinnamon, cardamom, clove) a little sugar adds to browning,
    put a single layer on parchment paper in the microwave
    microwave 3 minutes on high (watch -- all microwaves are different)
    The biggest problem -- you can eat them faster than you can cook them!