Portable Self Defense/Outdoor Exercise

Options
Greetings, community.

I am looking for personal recommendations for how to best take self defense tools (pepper spray, blades, telescopic batons, etc.) along with me during outdoor exercise, specifically on my runs. I add the disclaimer that I am never looking for a fight (but I plan on damn well winning if I get into one), have martial arts training and a good understanding of first line defense (ex. avoiding dubious areas/situations/people, awareness of surroundings, projecting confidence and authority, all that jazz) am aware of the legality of each weapon option in my area, and despite this post probably coming off as rather paranoid and trigger happy, I don't plan on strapping a small arsenal on my person.*

I'll be frank, I've a "always be ready because something horrible is going to happen to someone, somewhere" mentality and no reservations about using decisive force against an assailant, even if my only available tools are tooth and claw. To that end, I would have no problem using several separately placed holsters, for lack of a better term, on my person if necessary. I just have no clue where to start searching for them as I have no personal experience with brand quality or what will fit my style best. After searching the forums I saw mention of something called a spibelt, which I've glanced at but it doesn't strike me as adequate for what I'm looking for. Neither have other running belts I've researched. Ideally whatever I use will provide me with space for phone, keys, minor first aid gear, hydration, and quick access to weapons. Naturally, I'd rather have the defense objects out of casual sight.

I think that's it. I'm very sleep deprived and frazzled at the moment, so I apologize for redundancy or incoherence. Thank you in advance and stay safe!

* definitions of "small" vary

Replies

• AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I carry a camelbak when I run that has a pocket for an iPod Nano on one of the chest straps. I tuck a pocket knife in here =)
  • LifestyleChange33
    LifestyleChange33 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    The.best way to carry a self-defense tool is ready in your hand. You may not have time to reach for your belt...

Oath wise pirate belts are awesome (seriously). Look it up ;)
  • keeping_on
    keeping_on Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    AZKristi: I was looking for something more streamlined than a backpack, but thank you, I'll check it out.

LifestyleChange33: Pirate belts ARE awesome, and now I'm inclined to find a run that encourages full costume, but they are too clunky for habitual use. And, uh, flamboyant. Which is super when I want to be noticed but not conducive to concealing personal defense items.

But man. Now I really want one. And a debonair hat.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What do you carry on the treadmill?

When I mountainbike my minimum kit has a first aid/survival set I defined that fits my jersey back pocket - you could get a jersey like that and carry quite a lot and rather accessible. Or a protein bar.