Ankle and foot pain?

Options
I recently started walking/jogging and enjoy it a lot. 6 miles/4 miles/2 miles a day (2 if I feel bad.) My shoes however aren't helping, I need motion control which I already established, I have low arches. Anyway, i'm wondering aside from new shoes what stretches will help me warm up before I go? Or even after. My feet hurt horribly even 12 hours later after some sleep. I need some relief so I can keep on. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Earshler
    Options
    I used to experience the same thing.

If you have a Fleet Feet store in your area, try them. They try various styles shoes based on your foot's arch. You go outside and run/jog so that they can't watch your stride to determine your foot motion. I now have the perfect shoes and I need an arch support because I am flat foot.
  • psyonix
    psyonix Posts: 12
    Options
    My wife has flat feet and has similar problems. She even got special shoes but still has issues. I've seen her ice her shins and the tops of her feet for 20-30 minutes afterwards and that seems to help her. She'll also tend not to do the jogging every day but mix it up with aerobic workouts in between.
  • Isabelle
    Isabelle Posts: 102
    Options
    Maybe you also have "pronated feet", meaning the ankle are "falling" too much inside. Sometimes, the best shoe is not enough. You should be evaluated by a pedorthosist who will tell you about your feet and maybe recommand custom or "off the shelf" arch supports.
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    Options
    I suffer from overpronation, yes. I'm horrible about that though...
    Because I hate having to see doctors. :/