More important - diet or exercise??

Options
2»

Replies

• Crunchytxmama
    Crunchytxmama Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Absolutely diet. When I first started working out I was about 195 lbs. I worked out three days a week from May-August and my weight went up during that time to 199. It wasn't until I started counting calories that the weight started falling off. I think exercise plays a really big role in keeping weight off once you've lost it, though. I maintained about a 50 lb. weight loss, not watching calories, but exercising vigorously six days a week and I didn't gain the weight back. Programs like Weight Watchers are pretty successful and as far as I know you can do the program without exercising at all. You have more wiggle room if you do exercise, but you can still lose without it.
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    what you eat is way more important, but you still have to exercise to have a healthy lifestyle
  • angelnik03
    Options
    My first reaction was to say "EXERCISE!" but after I thought about it, it's diet. I was out of town this past weekend and got really off of my normal diet/exercise schedule because of the hectic nature of my trip. I came back home and had so much to catch up on, that I haven't really gotten back to my "norm", though I've been trying to workout where I can. I've only worked out a couple of times in the last week (I usually work out 2x a day, 6 days a week), and gained 3 lbs when I wasn't watching my diet but lost them back when I started counting again. I think exercise has been helping a lot, and I need both for me to feel successful, but diet definitely has the bigger impact for me.
  • CABERGLUND
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss. You must feel fantastic! I have 150 lbs to lose and I am just getting started. I feel lighter but have a ways to go. You are my hero!!!
  • OddSquid
    OddSquid Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    It is different for everyone, but as a broad generalization, proper nutrition (as always, I hesitate to use the word "diet," as that implies something temporary) is more effective for weight loss.

One can do 1,000 crunches a day, but never have 6-pack abs if they're scarfing on pepperoni pizzas and cheeseburgers every week.