bicycles?

Options
For those of you who do much bicycling, do you have recommendations for good bikes? I am doing research because I never imagined we would enjoy it so much, but DH has taken commuting to work which is at least 12 miles per day, sometimes 24 (yes, for you purists that isn't that much, but for my hubby it took me 4 years to convince him he could do it because a lot is gravel).
We bicycle 3-4 hours per day on weekends. Because I didn't know if he was going to stick with it, we got an el cheapo Walmart bike this spring and he has stuck with it every day (and we are saving gas money LOL). He said every time he goes by the gas station he just smiles at it. ;)
This last weekend we took our bikes on vacation and almost wore them both out - back brakes went on mine, my one wheel is now wobbling and DH definitely needs more speeds for those steep trails - we take our 4 kids and so he pulls a trailer and we each have a bobike child seat strapped on each of our bikes. He also takes a child to work with him now and then on the bobike seat, so his bicycle is pulling 100+ lbs, he weighs 240 and he has a 33lb child on the child seat. So he needs a work horse. I am thankful he has taken to using the trailer, because up until 2 weeks ago, I pulled the trailer with 100lbs AND the child seat and he would zip along wondering why I was so slow *G*. He hooked it up to his bike this weekend and boy did he feel that workout! LOL
Anyway, any recommendations? He was thinking of a Big Dummy so he can pop two kids on the back plus carry cargo (he often shops for us or takes a fair bit back and forth from work as he is a veterinarian), but you know, we live in the middle of no where and have no bike shops within 80 miles and all he and I have ever ridden is $80 Scout from Walmart or freebees growing up so I don't even know what a nice bike would feel like. All I know is it needs to be able to carry a decent amount of weight and 1-2 children.
Also, we ride on gravel half the time so that needs to be taken into account.
Thanks!!
Heather

Replies

• rkgirlusa
    Options
    Hubby bought me a SunBike for Christmas. Mine is a step through frame which looks odd but allows me to get on & off even when my hips are bugging me. I LOVE my bike. SunBikes are a USA company & very well made. They have a ton of different models. I've been riding a couple days a week for 9 months now & no complaints.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I started out the exact same way. Wore out a K Mart Huffy in 3 months. If you're already taking them on vacation with you, you're pretty into it. My second bike was a Schwinn Hybrid and I still have it and love it, but we started doing century rides and found out everyone else was riding much lighter, quicker bikes. We eventually saved up enough for a Trek for each of us, which we love. They, and almost any other good quality road bike can be pretty pricey. If you can afford it, I would recommend as good a quality bike as you can afford. Our Treks are about the lowest end they make, but still very nice and a joy to ride. They were around 1,000 each. Schwinns are good because they seem to hold up forever and you can get a good Schwinn for around a couple hundred.
    My most important piece of advice, whatever bike you choose, get it from a quality bike shop that will fit you for the bike. Having the right size bike makes a huge difference. I didn't realize it but the bike between my Schwinn and my Trek...A novara, was too big for me and the difference between riding that and the Trek that I was measured for is the difference between wrestling the bike and having it be an extension of your body. Second...but even more important...have your butt measured. A good shop will have a device that measures your sit bones and will recommend the proper size seat. This will save you a lot of pain in your butt and sit bones.
    Welcome to cycling! We love it.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    When you're next in the area where there's a bike shop get fitted, that'll be one of your best moves when it comes to biking and sticking with it.
    Being gravel that pretty much moves you to mountain bike / offroad as opposed to a 10speed best for paved trails etc. Beyond that... look at the bikes at the shop, tell them what you're mostly riding on, tell them your load requirements... they'll have some pretty good ideas.

I've always hated my el cheapo bikes and one got returned within a week as they couldn't get the pedal arm to stay attached, only thing I can think of is someone else must have wound up with 2 of the arms meant for the left side so their pedal arm on the right came off opposing my left one being the one to fall off within a mile of the store (riding home)
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I recently upgraded from department store bike to a Trek FX, which is considered city/fitness, which I bought at Scheels. I cant believe the difference! The fit is perfect, its light weight and the gears work great! I too have gravel before hitting the road, but it's made for that too. it's in between a mountain bike and a road bike. I do suggest you go to a professional and get their help, because they have the best knowledge for your needs and area. Good luck and happy riding!
  • larrys2112
    larrys2112 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I ride a lot, on and off road. I have close to 2,000 miles on my bike without a single repair. I have a Specialized Expedition. It has been the most dependable, well built bike I have ever owned.

2011_0417bicycle0004.jpg
  • DanaJ1983
    Options
    I would look up the possibility of a hybrid bike. These bikes aren't as bulky as a mountain bike but are more substantial and stable than your typical road bike. I've always been partial to Specialized brand but you can find hybrid bikes made by Schwinn and most other bike companies. Go to your local sporting goods store or outdoor store and ask for the person who knows about bikes. Ask a lot of questions about quality and durability and usually they will give you good advice. If you aren't planning to purchase that day or want to get a better grid for price ranges just tell them your doing some research for purchasing a new bike and this usually takes the pressure off of them asking you to commit to one particular bike that day.
  • DanaJ1983
    Options
    might also be helpful for you to know I ride a Hard Rock Specialized and I've had it for 14 years with only minor repairs needed. It was the best $350 I've ever spent (keep in mind that was 14 years ago, they are a bit more expensive now)
  • KidP
    KidP Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I love bikes. I've heard good things about the Big Dummy you mentioned. I ride a variety of bikes for a variety of purposes: a Trek mountain bike for trails, an old 1980s Fiori road bike for longer exercise hauls and mostly old Raleighs for getting around town because they're rock solid, 3 speed internal hubs (so very little maintenance), rugged and can handle paniers for groceries. Some of the Raleighs i ride are 50 plus years old, but they were built like tanks.

Being that i ride everything from junk pile bikes to bike shop bikes, i will say that you *can* make due with a variety of sizes of bikes, but getting measured & fitted is a great idea. My road bike is too small for me and i start to feel it after 25 or 30 km. I'll be getting measured for a new one next summer.

The hard thing about living up here is that winters are a no go for riding unless if you're a) well prepared and b) a little crazy.
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have a Specialized hybrid that I purchased at bike shop sale one spring and have had for at least five years. I used to cycle on a regular basis with bike clubs on 30-50 mi rides. The bike is still in good condition and I use it ocassionally now. Starting to get into running since it is more convient now.

Since your roads are partially gravel, a light hybrid would be better than a road bike. They typically support larger tires that are less prone to flats on (hard pack) gravel roads/trails. They typically have 21 gears which is great if you plan to do hills. Mountain bikes are typically very heavy and are used for off road trail riding.Go to a bike shop and see what they have to offer that you like. They are knowledgeable and typically have lighter bikes with better components than a department store will carry. If you plan to spend a lot of time on them, go for the better, more comfortable bike. You will be happier.
  • simplynaturalfarm
    Options
    Wow a lot of good information and suggestions. I am going to do some looking up on the bikes you all mention - anything has to be better than what we are doing at Walmart ;)
    The problem with our climate is we are looking at serious snow in 2 months. I keep trying to figure out how to bicycle as long as possible, but I am thinking from November til April we simply won't be able to. Most years snow blows so hard we can't really cross country ski so easily and we get at least a month of -30 minimum which makes outside stuff hard. Before I got married and had 4 children I had the layering stuff down perfect plus the right shoes and walking gear so no matter how cold it was I still went out. I think I need to start doing some skijoring :) Or do any of you have suggestions on what to do in winter besides freeze and drink hot coffee?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Being that i ride everything from junk pile bikes to bike shop bikes, i will say that you *can* make due with a variety of sizes of bikes, but getting measured & fitted is a great idea. My road bike is too small for me and i start to feel it after 25 or 30 km. I'll be getting measured for a new one next summer.
    You certainly CAN make do and it's a great way to decide if it's something you'll enjoy, but a properly fitted bike can be the difference between doing that 12-24miles per day and enjoying it and wanting to go for the weekend ride or wanting to take a sledgehammer to the hunk of junk on a poorly fitted one.
    I can't pass up a good deal though, my current ride was $10 at a yardsale, flipped it upside down to get at the chain and lube it up, other than a couple loose screws there've been no problems for riding around the neighbourhood. Certainly wouldn't go out on the trails on it though, not without an overhaul and tightening up everything.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The bike depends on the type of riding you want to do.

A couple of questions --

1) Road or gravel paths or dirt paths in the woods, downhill skills?
    2) Duration - 1hr or all day rides?
    3) I saw that commuting is important. Right?
    4) Do you plan to do any over nighters and need to pack or carry a little?
    5) Are you looking to do casual rides or get some distance out of it all?
    6) Do you want to ride upright or are you comfy in a rider's position (on something like this: http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check)

I have well over 20 bikes in various states (mine and the kids) because of the different type of riding that I do - there is no need for this - but you do need to know what you want to do with it.

For winter riding, snow tires -- take a look at my pictures - you can ride year round - I have a friend in Alaska that does using a fat bike (snow specific tires).
  • simplynaturalfarm
    Options
    The roads are not dirt, but back farm gravel roads. The only time we have hills is when we go on vacation as we live in the flattest portion of the US (it is laser levelled here for agricultural reasons).

We are not doing all day rides -mostly 1-3 hours.
    Commuting is important. He has a 7 mile ride to work and 1-2 miles each way on gravel depending on how he goes. The rest is paved and in town.
    He always carries something - briefcase, laptop or child. :)
    5 - it depends on your idea of distance. I don't imagine we will do more than 15-30 miles per day unless we get a lot more time.
    My husband likes to ride more upright - he has carpal tunnel and now shoulder problems from working on cows (he is a veterinarian), and too much leaning causes him to get numb hands.
    Having said that, I am riding an el cheapo Mongoose ($89) and he is riding an Avalon - don't laugh too hard - here is the link to his to get an idea of what he found comfortable.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/NEXT-Avalon-26-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/14272884

I didn't know they did snow tires - cool!
    Heather
  • simplynaturalfarm
    Options
    And to the rest - do any of the people in Scheels really know about bicycles? I wasn't too impressed last time I went as the fellow was simply trying to sell everybody one of everything and he always went to the highest dollar item first.
    Heather
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    And to the rest - do any of the people in Scheels really know about bicycles? I wasn't too impressed last time I went as the fellow was simply trying to sell everybody one of everything and he always went to the highest dollar item first.
    Heather

They were knowledgable in my area. I went o two other bike stores and Scheels ended up having the one I wanted. Plus they gave me a discount on accessories. If you compare, I'm sure you'll find one that you can trust.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    The roads are not dirt, but back farm gravel roads. The only time we have hills is when we go on vacation as we live in the flattest portion of the US (it is laser levelled here for agricultural reasons).

We are not doing all day rides -mostly 1-3 hours.
    Commuting is important. He has a 7 mile ride to work and 1-2 miles each way on gravel depending on how he goes. The rest is paved and in town.
    He always carries something - briefcase, laptop or child. :)
    5 - it depends on your idea of distance. I don't imagine we will do more than 15-30 miles per day unless we get a lot more time.
    My husband likes to ride more upright - he has carpal tunnel and now shoulder problems from working on cows (he is a veterinarian), and too much leaning causes him to get numb hands.
    Having said that, I am riding an el cheapo Mongoose ($89) and he is riding an Avalon - don't laugh too hard - here is the link to his to get an idea of what he found comfortable.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/NEXT-Avalon-26-Men-s-Cruiser-Bike/14272884

I didn't know they did snow tires - cool!
    Heather

ok - so looks like you want a hybrid/cross style bike - no skinny tired roady. no boing-boing full suspension mountain bike...

look at a bike like the http://surlybikes.com/bikes/cross_check

or a utility like bike:http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/urban_utility/crossrip/

see if you can get a flat bar/raised bar set-up for your husband.
    like this:
    http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/town/fitness/fx/