Popular Restaurants with surprising calorie count

Options

Replies

• orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I ask for a side salad with the dressing on the side and ask them to NOT bring the bread sticks. I do the same at Texas Roadhouse(those rolls with the cinnamon butter are to die for). Problem solved. If they aren't in front of me, i can't eat them.

Yum, love love love texas road house, I usually get the sirloin kabobs, with veggies and the side salad and ask for oil and vinegar so I can do my own dressing. Very reasonable price wise, calorie wise and delicious!!!!!

And yes, that cinnamon butter bread is to die for, I just take a pinch from one of my kids ;)
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Worst place - Cora's.

No nutritional info. Don't even ask about it. When you pick apart your meal and log everything individually, that's your daily allotment or more in one shot. The healthiest thing I found is the Samira Wake-UP - mostly fresh fruits and comes with 2 thick slices of toast with about 3T of margarine/butter.

Cora's is my favourite restaurant...EVER!!

i always get the sunshine crepe..and i dont know or care how many cals it is....i enjoy every...single....calorie... hahaha
  • SoonerVet
    Options
    Taco Bell is actually not terrible. I personally get full really easy, and the Fresca menu is pretty good! Even a regular crunchy taco I think is like 170 calories. I can eat 2 of those and be full. However, I know people who have to eat a lot at Taco Bell in order to be full, so I guess it depends on how much you need to eat.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I really don't pay attention to calories for restaurants. I live 90 miles out of town so I am not around any restaurants on a daily basis. We usually go out once a week when we go to town to groceries and I make that my "free" meal.

That being said, Subway seems to be the best sandwich place - over quiznos and jimmy johns. Most restaurants seem really high in sodium. They also have "hidden" ingredients that can add up...like the ingredients that make up sauces or what things are cooked in.

It's possible to look up calories before you go and see what options there are but it's not always convenient or you change your mind.

JB's restaurant has calorie options listed on their menus. Granted, some say "500-700" which is based on the side you choose or whatnot. I like going there because even though I don't really care when I go to a restaurant, I can make better choices.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I ask for a side salad with the dressing on the side and ask them to NOT bring the bread sticks. I do the same at Texas Roadhouse(those rolls with the cinnamon butter are to die for). Problem solved. If they aren't in front of me, i can't eat them.

Yum, love love love texas road house, I usually get the sirloin kabobs, with veggies and the side salad and ask for oil and vinegar so I can do my own dressing. Very reasonable price wise, calorie wise and delicious!!!!!

And yes, that cinnamon butter bread is to die for, I just take a pinch from one of my kids ;)

That is what I get there and I LOVE IT! I bring my own fat free dressing. I have a couple rolls...no butter and just watch what I eat the rest of the day. All things in moderation and portion control.
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    O'Charlies classic burger is less calories than their turkey burger! The 6 oz sirloin is less than half the calories of either of those!! Guess I'll get the sirloin next time!
  • ItzPSGina62
    ItzPSGina62 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Subway's calorie count is pretty good, but their sodium is ridiculously high. A 6" sandwich has almost half the recommended daily amount of sodium.

YES! I just found this out today. I was going over all my reports and after seeing the peaks and valleys I noticed I peaked on several counts: sodium, carbs...etc. on days when I ate out. Eating HOME is best. Something safe always in the purse JUST IN CASE.....
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I definitely check out the nutritional contents before I go. It's hard but can be done in a moderately not so crappy way!!!

1) Chili's--Classic Sirloin (as served) 250 calories, Margarita Grilled Chicken 550 calories
    2) On The Border--Create your own combo, I usually do Chicken Tostada 130 calories and Guacamole Tostada 180 calories. I get the rice (280 calories) and beans (black-180 calories) on the side and don't eat them because I don't need them. I also have chips and salsa (1/2 order is 215 calories).
    3) Buffalo Wild Wings--Grilled Chicken Buffalitos 380 calories (from website)
    4) Chipotle--Barbacoa burrito bowl with brown rice, barbacoa, black beans, green tomatillo salsa, guacamole and lettuce--635 calories (not all that low but for an every once in a while treat it doesn't break the calorie bank).
    5) Olive Garden--Soup--Minestrone 100 calories, Pasta e Fagioli 130 calories, Zuppa Toscana 170 calories (all per serving); Salad (1 serving) 150 calories; Stuffed Mushrooms (appetizer) 280 calories. There are actually quite a few under 500 calorie dishes if you look here!!!

You have to look and plan a little more but you can get reasonable meals at Jimmy John's, Subway and even McDonalds. Nutritionally none of these are the greatest but you can totally do it without breaking the bank!!!
  • stephaniec78
    stephaniec78 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people stay away from baked potatoes because of the carbs but for those of us who love them, be careful at restaurants. I know for a fact that Texas Roadhouse roll their potatoes in bacon grease and salt before baking them.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Olive Garden heads up.... if you ask nice they will put steamed veggies in place of the pasta and you can get your sauce over that. I get the one with the spicy shrimp marinara (can't remeber the name) over the veggies (usualy broccoli & asparagus I think) and it's awesome.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat at chains, because if I'm going to treat myself going out, it's not going to be at a place that's pulling their food out of a freezer ;)

That being said, if I want the same thing as fast food... I'll do fast food. Kids meals at Wendy's or McDonald's are routinely 300-400 calories, or a grilled snack wrap, and even a small fry. I'm surprised about the Jimmy John's complaints--I always order the Veggie Club on the multigrain, no cheese, no mayo. The avocado takes care of the creamy, and the whole thing is under 350.
  • cbevan1229
    cbevan1229 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I've been choosing Outback, Panera, Chipotle, Ruby Tuesdays, and Boston Market, because there are things on the menu that I like and know I can fit into my calorie budget.

Hard to find much at Fridays or Chili's that won't push you way over your goal.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I looked up The Keg (Canada) last night and was baffled at the calorie amount I used to consume in one sitting. More then a whole days worth. Disgusting!
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I looked up The Keg (Canada) last night and was baffled at the calorie amount I used to consume in one sitting. More then a whole days worth. Disgusting!

^ yep I looked theirs up as well, shocked is an understatment....

if I know I'm going out to dinner, I always look up menu's online before I go so I know which choices are the best :)

I rarely go out to eat though lol
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was going strong losing weight a couple years ago, and had a meeting in a small town about an hour away, and I drove a colleague with me. I brought my own lunch and was doing great. At the end of the meeting, he said "I'll take you to Dairy Queen..." which I NEVER go to, never eat there, never had an urge to. But he really wanted something, so I went, and tried to think of the smallest, least-offensive/bad thing I could order for a little treat. They did not have the frozen yogurt or low-fat/low-sugar ice cream. So I ordered a small vanilla malt. Tiny thing, about 3/4 -cup of blended ice cream and a spoonful of malt.

Went home and looked it up on the DQ webpage. 650 calories. I about passed out.

However, that week I continued to lose my 1-2 pounds per week as I had been for several months. I learned important lessons, though: 1) processed and fast foods of any kind (salads included) seem to always have more calories than you expect, so reduce those as much as possible; and 2) one goof during a week won't kill you.

But I'm much more mindful--and forgiving of myself--now and that's probably been my only visit to DQ in the past 10 years and I have no urge to ever set foot in one again.

I am obsessed with DQ. That is one thing I refuse to give up. I'd run hard for 2 hours or do anything to have a blizzard. Ice cream is probably my favorite food.

Dairy Queen is my absolute favorite! Even before I tried to eat healthier, I would only eat there once every other month or so because of prices! :tongue:

I will still eat there through. I agree! It's worth a 2 hour hard run or whatever I gotta do to eat a Peanut Buster Parfait!
    BEST
    ICE CREAM
    EVER!!!!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Outback Steakhouse
    Macaroni Grill
    Cheesecake Factory

--And surprisingly--Taco Bell! I mean I know it's fast food, and no fast food is GOOD for you, but I was pretty shocked to learn that almost all of their stuff is pretty pricey, calorie-wise.

OK, weird!~

I just ate at Taco Bell and was remarking on how low their calorie counts are! It's less than 200 calories for a taco supreme and only 230 for a volcano taco. I can fit in three tacos for my dinner, two if it's lunch.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    I love getting frozen custard at places in the summer, went to get some ice cream and looked up some of the calorie amounts and it was damn near a meal just for a single scoop if ice cream.. I sadly realized I shouldn't be eating as much custard as I love eating.. Just can't have 1 scoop for at the least 700 calories.. then you add the real good flavors (chocolate items, or anything with mints, nuts, etc) almost 1000..
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I found that with a little investigation, you could eat at Taco Bell, and be satisfied without going too high on the calorie count. My favorite is the Double Decker Taco. It's filling and it combines chewy with crunch. At 320 calories, it's hardly over the top. I get the $2 meal deal which also includes a 1 oz bag of Doritos and a drink.

I'll usually order a Fresco Hard Shell Taco in addition to the $2 meal and save the bag of Doritos for later. The taco has the same calories (140) as the bag of Doritos. You can eat at Taco Bell and get filled up in under 500 calories.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    At Wendy's you can get a Grilled Chicken Go Wrap (260 calories) and a small Chili (260 calories). I always substitute a small chili (210 calories) instead of fries at Wendy's. With a diet drink, I'm sitting pretty at 470 calories. An easy way to save 35 calories from this one is to get the wrap without sauce. Keep a bottle of Tobasco handy as a substitute to creamy sauces.
  • Coming4U
    Coming4U Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people stay away from baked potatoes because of the carbs but for those of us who love them, be careful at restaurants. I know for a fact that Texas Roadhouse roll their potatoes in bacon grease and salt before baking them.

So that is why they taste SO GOOD there! I always say why do their baked potatoes taste so much better than everyone else? *sigh* lol