binge eating, food coma

Options
so.. .. i was doing well.. and i find myself always getting bored of what i'm doing and that's what stops me from losing the weight i want and need to lose. i'm just not motivated anymore. and i find myself binge eating a lot. i feel like i go into a coma and don't realize how much i eat until everything in the fridge is gone. or something like that. and then i'm like wow. i can't believe i devoured all of that. but the thing is.. is i never feel full while i'm eating it. (sometimes if i eat A LOT A LOT i will feel naceous) but other than that i will just keep eating and make myself feel bad and sick and i really don't know how to stop it. i want to succeed and lose weight and be positive and healthy. my dr needs me to lose weight because of my knee. ( i had knee surgery and i have arhritis in my knee and he said i have to lose weight so it can get better) and like i said i did lose weight. but then i gain some back and i can't keep going because i'm bored of doing it or tired and fed up. help me :(

i know i'm the only person who can help myself. i'm just stuck

Replies

• geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    What are your eating patterns like? Do you feel hungry but limit food intake only to binge later? You must realize that you need to eat a certain amount of calories just to maintain current weight. If you know how many calories that requires, you will not gain weight if you eat at that amount.

You also mention getting bored while trying to lose weight. Are you just restricting calories or are you exercising? Even though you have arthritis of the knee, there are still many modes of exercise you can do that you may enjoy.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The find some way to stop from getting bored. Read a book. learn a musical instrument, join a group exercise class.......anything to keep your mind occupied. (If you truly believe you enter a dissociative state perhaps it's time to speak to a mental health professional for help)
  • jdawson1
    Options
    I understand. Totally, and completely. I just want to eat, eat and eat. For no apparant reason at all. Usually it is at night, when everyone is in bed except me....I fight with it every day. I have lost, gained, and lost again. It is a very frustrating way to live.

What have I discovered? Just don't start eating during those times when I can't control it. If I can keep myself from doing it, and just go to sleep, I can get through it. However, if I give in and eat just one little thing I will go on an all out binge. At least I can isolate my binges to a time of day. I guess I just won't do it in front of anyone! Guess I can control it then.....

I am sorry I don't have any words of wisdom, and I don't have a success story yet. When you feel like going to the fridge do something else, anything else! And pray...a lot........ if you are a praying person. Good luck to you. Don't give up! I won't either...
  • jennie0918
    jennie0918 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    in reply to brian sharpe

well when i say i get bored i mean i get bored of dieting or eating and exorcising a certain way. and then i just completely stop
  • mela216r
    Options
    First, drink a tall ice water. Sometimes that is really all you need & satiating thirst will really help. Next, rid your cabinets and cupboards of all things "junky" so that it you do absolutely crave something, you are at least getting healthier, lower-calorie options. Experiment with reading labels and making simple recipes/substiutions that you LOVE to eat so it doesn't feel like you're depriving yourself. Make sure you're eating plenty of fiber & filling foods throughout the day. Change up what you eat & experiment with different types of food so your diet isn't monotonous. If all else fails, give yourself a "splurge" day once every 10 days or so...just make sure you're journalling it & building it into your program. And I agree with the other posters who suggested finding something that will absorb your attention so you aren't bored in the first place. Good luck!
  • jennie0918
    Options
    in reply to geekjock76

well my eating patterns are kind of terrible.. because ... i don't like eating around people. especially people i dont know. so i may not eat for like 8 hours and then when i get home i'm so hungry i eat and eat until i'm so full i'm going to explode.
    and while i lose weight i restrict calories and workout all the time and after like 4 weeks i just get so bored i can't do it anymore i'm just like well i lost this much i'm good for now and then end up getting so off track i gain it all back .. i know there's exorcises i can do i usually do the stationary bike... and eliptrical and if i lose enough i'd love to run again
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Is there any particular reason you do not like eating around strangers? If you are home preparing your own meals, that really shouldn't be an issue.

Also, meal frequency does not matter. There are people out there who eat their entire day's worth of calories in an 8 hour window.

You're probably burning yourself out by restricting calories and exercising too much.
  • jennie0918
    Options
    yeah there is .. i guess.. i had a therapist and she was going throguh why i didn't like eating around people and we came to the conclusion it was because of my dad... he would always make fun of me and watch me while i ate. he would stare at me while i ate... so i guess now i feel like i'm always being watched when i eat.. and yeah i dont really prepare anything when i get home i jsut eat whatever i see
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Ugh I've been through the guilt-about-food deal...still working through it really.
    I hope it lets up for you soon....if you're basically starving yourself for eight hours because you're uncomfortable eating in public, it's just a vicious binging cycle.
    I wish I had the answer for you! :(

If you'd like a friend to chat at though, feel free to add me.
    My parents always wanted to know everything I ate, and at one time locked the fridge and pantry till they got home.
    I know they were trying to help, but it...kinda made me feel like ...

I dunno how to explain it.
    Now food is my main 'vice'...not that it's an excuse, I'm still working through it, but it does make it that much harder.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You really need to get help. Only you can help yourself, but you can get help doing it.

See a counselor. Really. That is a horrible pattern and what you're talking about seems so unhealthy.

Good luck and take care of yourself. This isn't about weight loss.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    You really need to get help. Only you can help yourself, but you can get help doing it.

See a counselor. Really. That is a horrible pattern and what you're talking about seems so unhealthy.

Good luck and take care of yourself. This isn't about weight loss.

Completely agree. I'd go back for counseling, preferably with someone who specializes in food/eating issues. This pattern of yours has nothing to do with weight, or food for that matter. You're using food to substitute for something else.

I'm in therapy for binge eating and it has helped tremendously. My only regret is not doing it sooner. I wasted years binging and avoiding my feelings. You look young, get a handle on this now.

And my guess is you don't get bored, you deprive yourself of the chance for success, maybe even sabotage your work.