I have hit a plateau.

So.. i guess i could use a little advice.

I know that when people hit plateau's theyre supposed to change something, be it there work out, diet, etc.
however i guess my question is, in which direction should i go.

On my working days, i might eat a little bit more then the 1530 calories im set to, fitbit keeps telling me i earn over 600+ calories from excersize on my work days, but until someone explains HOW they calculate the 600 calories, i refuse to eat those calories back, but i am pretty active at work, and i dont work out on days i work because i work from 6:30am to 7pm and im pooped.

On my days off, i do cardio for 40 min to earn myself some extra calories to eat. under 200 anyway. ( could be more but my HRM never asked for my info so i just use the number it gives me ) I am a bit less active when im home, compared to work.

so what should i do? increase my calories? excersize more on my days off? help meee lol

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    How long have you been on this plateu. If it's anything less than a month I wouldn't change anything.
  • TheRealMrsMetro
    TheRealMrsMetro Posts: 25 Member
    Try eating different foods than you always eat. Variety is the spice of life. You will break through the plateau. PS stay away from diet soda, add water and get plenty of sleep!
  • Krisstah
    Krisstah Posts: 136 Member
    How long have you been on this plateu. If it's anything less than a month I wouldn't change anything.

Ah.. its only been a couple weeks.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    maybe you should try to mix up your workouts a little bit.
    try adding in some weights if you don't normally strength train, or pilates after your cardio routine to stretch out and cool down.
  • Krisstah
    maybe you should try to mix up your workouts a little bit.
    try adding in some weights if you don't normally strength train, or pilates after your cardio routine to stretch out and cool down.

someone was gonna recommend me a good pilates thing.. can you find these on youtube?
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member

I agree with this.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    We use the word plateu when we get stuck for even a week, it seems. However, a true plateau is one where you have no movement in weight for over 3 months.

If it is less than that, then I say stick with what you are doing and be patient. Especially if your are in a new workout routine as your muscles will retain water for the first 4-6 weeks to combat soreness.
  • Krisstah

I agree with this.

I guess i am just anxious cause people at work keep asking if i lost anymore weight and i feel like im failing when i tell them no.
  • good question, I am in the same page, I have been in a plateau for a while now.
    I am trying to make changes, do different exercises, add resistance to the cardio machines.
    :wink:
  • Krisstah
    We use the word plateu when we get stuck for even a week, it seems. However, a true plateau is one where you have no movement in weight for over 3 months.

If it is less than that, then I say stick with what you are doing and be patient. Especially if your are in a new workout routine as your muscles will retain water for the first 4-6 weeks to combat soreness.

Ah.. i didn't know that you could be stuck that long.. =/ goodness, that would be very discouraging.
  • kellyirisheyes
    kellyirisheyes Posts: 137 Member
    yeah check out blogilates. she has some good routines. there are many others out there, but that's my go-to.
    hope you find what you're looking for. :)
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Strength training has done wonders for me...
    I have some health conditions that make loosing weight near impossible...
    I started lifting, and even though the scale isn't going down as fast as I'd like, the inches are coming off pretty quickly...

It helps me see some change to stay motivated. :)
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    I've hit a plateau for about 3+ weeks now , it is very discouraging.
    I hope you find the solution! and I'm gunna watch the advice on this thread :)
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member

Ah.. i didn't know that you could be stuck that long.. =/ goodness, that would be very discouraging.

It IS quite discouraging to be stuck for that long...but I am in my 5th month of a plateau - I am at my last 10 pounds and I began a new running routine. My doc says my body needs time to adjust and the last 10 pounds are always the hardes to get off. I have just this week resorted to a low carb diet again in hopes of getting those last annoying pounds to go away.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    So if you have an active job, is your account set up that way? Also, what is your per week weight loss goal at? How much do you have to lose to hit a normal weight, not your goal weight? Its fairly common that people over extend their per week goal.
  • I too have been 'stuck', for 3 weeks..... however while the scale has not moved, my measurements have. So if you have not done so .... measure! And try on an older pair of 'skinny' jeans .... you know the ones we keep in the back of the closet knowing that one day we will fit back into them? I tried on a pair last week, and while it wasn't pretty (meaning I wouldn't wear them out of the house yet), they did go on, and I could do them up without lying on the bed - LOL!! Good luck, and don't worry about what you need to say to co-workers ... it's you you need to please.:flowerforyou:
  • So.. i guess i could use a little advice.

I know that when people hit plateau's theyre supposed to change something, be it there work out, diet, etc.
    however i guess my question is, in which direction should i go.

On my working days, i might eat a little bit more then the 1530 calories im set to, fitbit keeps telling me i earn over 600+ calories from excersize on my work days, but until someone explains HOW they calculate the 600 calories, i refuse to eat those calories back, but i am pretty active at work, and i dont work out on days i work because i work from 6:30am to 7pm and im pooped.

On my days off, i do cardio for 40 min to earn myself some extra calories to eat. under 200 anyway. ( could be more but my HRM never asked for my info so i just use the number it gives me ) I am a bit less active when im home, compared to work.

so what should i do? increase my calories? excersize more on my days off? help meee lol

Hi krisstah

I can only make a stab in the dark as I can't see your diaries. If you go to work on the bus, get off at the stop before & walk the last bit to work or on the way home.
    If you have lifts at work, you could get off at the floor below the floor you need & walk the last flight of stairs.
    I can' say eat more protein & less fat.

Anne
  • We use the word plateu when we get stuck for even a week, it seems. However, a true plateau is one where you have no movement in weight for over 3 months.

I stayed the same for 3 years. That is why I joined MFP to kickstart some more weight loss. I believe that I just maintained at the
    amound of calories I was eating. So MFP helped me to eat the right amount to lose some more. I have 15 ot 20 lbs to go.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member

I agree with this.

I guess i am just anxious cause people at work keep asking if i lost anymore weight and i feel like im failing when i tell them no.

aww yeah... well its not 'other people' you are loosing wt for!! and I agree a couple wks is nothing really.. i mean its hard if you are used to seeing the scale go down every wk!! but it could just be random... are you eating more SODIUM lately?? i gained 3 pounds once!! just from sodium/bloated.. cuz had so much one day... then drank water/low sodium day and right back down! was crazy.... if peeps as you just say 'no'.. but im on it! or idk havent weighed in.. LOL.. idk.. but keep at it you are almost down 30#'s!!!:drinker: