Lunches to take to work...

Options
hurleycutie142
hurleycutie142 Posts: 480 Member
okay so i work an in office with a fridge and a microwave... what can i bring to lunch and dinner that would be very filling and would last me till the morning (i work from 3-1130 at night) i dont like any types of peanuts... annnndddd ummm salads dont fill me up... and im tired of chicken... anything else?

Replies

• Alweb
    Alweb Posts: 2
    Options
    Beans on toast if there is a toaster? it fills me up and is dead easy with those Beans in a Pot things from Heinz.
  • Schatziheart
    Options
    you could try to make:
    Pasta salad ( like with tortellini, bow tie noodle or penne) one of my favorite is penne with sun dried tomato and mozzarella
    tomato soup with parmesan flavored goldfish crackers. (it taste really yummy ^_^ and easy)
    mashed potato with some of your favorite shredded cheese then you can add some chopped turkey breast or ham
    easy chicken or turkey wrap with crunchy lettuce and feta cheese

for healthy and low calorie snack: ( if you get hungry after lunch and between til dinner)
    Fruit n' veggies, sliced and packed in mini-bags like baby carrots, olives, cucumber, apples, grapes, tangerine or oranges
    fruit cups
    nonfat yoghurt
    rice crackers (like making a mini rice cake stacks with half slice banana and peanutbutter or soybutter)
    granola bars
    Wasa hearty rye crispbread

and drink lots of water or tea (best is Green tea).
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Bento style lunches lately. I didn't buy a fancy lunch box or anything, I just pack my lunch based on the principle of 3 parts carbs, 1 part protein, and 2 parts fruit and veg. You don't have to make Japanese food, there's a great website at http://lunchinabox.net/ that has an awesome FAQ section. It helps to stave off the boredom for sure.
  • stella_star
    Options
    I bought a microwaveable omelette maker for work - fits 2 eggs and plenty of filling - I use a little cheese, ham and plenty of veg, keeps me full for hours!
  • halfpint71
    halfpint71 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If you like beans you could make a Turkey Chili it's high in protein low in fat and freezes well.
  • Trav
    Trav Posts: 2,022
    Options
    I have the same thing

I take those tuna packs that are premade
    I have beef jerky
    Pork rinds
    Turkey, wheat bread
    protien bars
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    I'm kind of obsessed with Tasty Bite meals right now. They're Indian dishes that come in little packs and they're DELICIOUS! I just bring some rice along and heat it all up together in the microwave at work. EASY! And a whole pack + a cup of brown rice is less than 500 calories.
  • cattiemac
    cattiemac Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I like to bring last night's leftovers to work or I make big batches of soup and chili and freeze them to pack in my lunch.
  • brookelillie
    Options
    Oooh I envy you're microwave and fridge!! I don't have one at the office. If I did I would take soup (progresso light is my favorite-southwestern style) and a lavash wrap. I also take veggies and dip (light ranch, salsa, or hummus). My husband takes bean salad to work (black beans, red beans, blackeyed peas, chopped green onion and bell pepper soaked in ff italian dressing) he loves it. Good luck!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Bake potato topped with broccoli and cheese, chili, cottage cheese. Do some power cooking make a batch of chili take some to work and freeze some, make taco meat with ground chicken or beef take some to work and freeze some, make spaghetti sauce and you favorite pasta take some and freeze some or black bean and rice I sometimes mix chicken in it, make a batch of soup. Make a pot roast, or center cut pork chops. You will end up with a variety of meals in the freezer and it will save on cooking time. You will also have something ready if you get in a pinch.
  • teri00
    teri00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    protein shakes
  • pledbetter
    Options
    Soup is always good - Progresso Light.
    I'm currently on a spaghetti o's trip!
    Also, I love the Bird's Eye Steamfresh vegetables....just nook it in the microwave and voila! (Broccoli and cauliflower is my favorite combo and the entire bag is around 100 calories)
    Smart Pop Popcorn
    Oatmeal
  • jweyand
    jweyand Posts: 13
    Options
    I bring different types of sandwiches. Same multigrain bread, but different lunchmeat and toppings.

For example this week I had peppered turkey with alfalfa sprouts on toasted bread with mustard.

Today I had same toasted bread, pastrami, fat free cheese (melted it in the microwave on the meat) tomatoes

I also bring a container of fage fat free yogurt and pomegranate seeds, mix that together and i'm full until dinner time.
  • joann
    joann Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Home made soup is good..plus its cheap. This week I made cabbage soup using 1/2 turkey polish sausage, carrots, onions, celery, green cabbage, diced tomatoes, low sodium chicken broth, and I chopped up one potatoe. I didnt figure out calorie count only because I never know how many servings it makes but it is good Im on day 3 and still love it.
  • pocostef
    Options
    I like those Nile Spice cups of soup that you add hot water to (200 cals). then I eat an assortment of fruits and veggies, and coffee :-)
  • prudychick
    Options
    If I have them I usually bring leftovers. However, my dinner meals are usually higher in calories so I don't usually and leave the left overs for hubby. Lately I've been doing a half turkey sandwich and a salad or a bag of the 100 Calorie Baked Cheetos. Maybe something like soup for lunch and then a large salad with chicken (or turkey) and a slice of low calorie bread for dinner. Trying to think of things I've made recently that would be easy for you to take. Unfortunately nothing's coming to mind. I'll repost if I think of something.
  • rlsluvr
    rlsluvr Posts: 130
    Options
    I make this.... and freeze in individual containers...
    Crockpot Chili with Corn, Black Beans, and Ground Turkey

1 pound ground turkey
    1 1.25-ounce package taco seasoning mix* see note
    1 15-ounce can Mexican style Stewed Tomatoes
    1 15-ounce can black beans
    1 15 ounce can Kidney Beans
    1 15-ounce can whole kernal corn
    1 5.5-ounce can V-8 or tomato juice ( use 2 or 3 if you drain and rinse the Beans and corn)
    1 Med Zucchini chopped
    1 Med Squash Chopped
    5-6 Mini Sweet Peppers seeded and chopped

Brown the turkey in a large skillet and drain off any extra fat.
    Place the turkey in a 3 1/2-4 quart crock-pot.
    Add all other ingredients. Do not drain the beans, Tomatoes, or corn.
    Stir.
    Allow to cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-6 hours on low.
    Makes about 9 servings of 1.5 cups

*I use my own seasonings for this as I don’t want the added sodium. I don’t measure I just guesstimate. Cumin, Chili Powder, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper

I also usually double everything, so I can freeze it in individual portions for lunch.

Nutrition Facts
    Heather's - Homemade - Chili - Turkey & VeggieServings: 1.5 Cups
    Calories 225 Sodium 197 mg
    Total Fat 4 g Potassium 478 mg
    Saturated 0 g Total Carbs 19 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 6 g
    Monounsaturated 0 g Sugars 2 g
    Trans 0 g Protein 15 g
    Cholesterol 36 mg

Hope this helps!!!!
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I like to bring last night's leftovers to work or I make big batches of soup and chili and freeze them to pack in my lunch.
    Yep,,, that's what I do. Sometimes when I'm doing something yummy for dinner I'll cook way too much so I have good healthy lunches for a while. And then my wife steals them :mad: :tongue: :angry: :love: :drinker:
  • anneses
    anneses Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can you describe the omelet thing? Where did you get it? Do you prepare the eggs at home? Sounds like a good idea!
  • wendyrezvani
    Options
    Celery and PB and it is filling. I make sure and have healthy snacks special K bars, I also found 100cal packs almonds. I LOVE crystal light it helps me get in all more water and most days moe then I need. Chicken is a good choice, just need to change it up. I took 5lb bag and made 3 dishes at the same time, my prep time for all 3 was 30 min. 1st cubed chicken, minute rice, water, seasoning, oven 30 min 2nd cubed chicken, stir fry veg in crock pot water seasoning 3rd chicken breast in pan whole red pepers seasoings. Salsa is also yummy. I had lunch dinner for 3days and even shared at work and gum really helps