Pre-Diet Fast to Jumpstart Weightloss?

Options
So, I'm new to this site, but definitely not new to dieting! I just wanted to see what other people think about doing a pre-diet "fast"?? My nutritionist recommended I follow this diet for the next week: Eat 1/4 cup greek yogurt for breakfast, 1/2 an apple for lunch, 1 cup blueberries for snack, small salad with 1/2 cup shrimp or chicken breast for dinner (no dressing, no cheese, no nuts/seeds). I've never been overweight, but I have recently gained a significant amount of weight due to stress... and binge eating. I've been working out almost every day, but I just can't seem to get the healthy eating thing down! So tell me: What do you think about following this low-calorie diet for one week? If I can actually stick to it, will I be motivated to stay withing my 1400 calorie limit in the weeks after? Thanks in advance for the thoughts! :)

Replies

• Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Seems pointless. You will drop a bit of water weight in that week which you will just get back when you start eating properly again.

Why not just start your proper diet now?
  • skinny_kenzie
    Options
    I think it was meant to serve as a means to boost my motivation and flush out all the toxins in my body. I'm just sort of on the fence about it at this point. I only have a few weeks to lose the weight, but I don't see how any of this is going to work.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Your liver and kidneys do a perfectly fine job of flushing toxins out of your body.

I'm not sure how being really hungry for a week is meant to help you.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    It isn't what I would do. I find just logging and watching calories helps me.

But you are paying a nutritionist - I would follow his/her advice and see where it takes you. If you find it motivating and that this kind of purifying ritual is helpful to you, go for it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    Your liver and kidneys do a perfectly fine job of flushing toxins out of your body.

I'm not sure how being really hungry for a week is meant to help you.

this. but then again i've never quite understood why people feel they need to suffer and be unhappy during their weight loss as if it's some form of punishment.

maybe your nutritionist is giving you good advice nutritionally, but if you are a binge eater i can't see how this is teaching you anything about changing those behaviors. if anything, it's just setting yourself up for a future binge
  • jamiefay1222
    jamiefay1222 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same exact thing but I am a personal trainer who knows better. You need to just jump in and start eating healthy. Don't cut your carbs so low and don't restrict whole food groups. You have to find motivation within yourself. You can do this. Just do it. I would love to be your buddy and help you on your journey. It is always helpful to write down your goals on paper. Plan out your entire week of menus and put them into the tracker ahead of time. Then just do it. At the end of the week reward yourself for a good week with a non food reward like bubble bath, tanning, small gift whatever you are into. It works and it has helped thousands of clients of mine get results. If you need a coach I am here. I am going through one of the hardest times in my life right now and it can be done girl.
  • jannamc09
    jannamc09 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am going through the same exact thing but I am a personal trainer who knows better. You need to just jump in and start eating healthy. Don't cut your carbs so low and don't restrict whole food groups. You have to find motivation within yourself. You can do this. Just do it. I would love to be your buddy and help you on your journey. It is always helpful to write down your goals on paper. Plan out your entire week of menus and put them into the tracker ahead of time. Then just do it. At the end of the week reward yourself for a good week with a non food reward like bubble bath, tanning, small gift whatever you are into. It works and it has helped thousands of clients of mine get results. If you need a coach I am here. I am going through one of the hardest times in my life right now and it can be done girl.

I think Jamie's got the right idea here. If I followed the diet you mentioned, I would surely fail. You need enough calories to function properly and if you set your body into starvation mode, it will have the opposite effect- you will have retained the weight and lost a week that could have been productive.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I think it was meant to serve as a means to boost my motivation and flush out all the toxins in my body. I'm just sort of on the fence about it at this point. I only have a few weeks to lose the weight, but I don't see how any of this is going to work.

Why do you only have a few weeks to lose the weight? I'm sure it took more than a few weeks to put on. Realistic goals are Rule #1.
  • skinny_kenzie
    Options

Why do you only have a few weeks to lose the weight? I'm sure it took more than a few weeks to put on. Realistic goals are Rule #1.
    It's probably going to sound stupid to some people, but I leave for school in 2 weeks. I don't fit into any of my clothes, and I don't think I'll be able to afford to buy clothing that fits. It's really embarrassing and it makes me so humiliated with myself. Anyway, I was hoping to lose some weight within the next four weeks so that by the time it starts getting cool out, I'll fit into some of my clothing.
  • NearlyJen
    NearlyJen Posts: 104 Member
    Options

It's probably going to sound stupid to some people, but I leave for school in 2 weeks. I don't fit into any of my clothes, and I don't think I'll be able to afford to buy clothing that fits. It's really embarrassing and it makes me so humiliated with myself. Anyway, I was hoping to lose some weight within the next four weeks so that by the time it starts getting cool out, I'll fit into some of my clothing.

Don't be embarrassed - I have on my profile that one of the reasons I got on MFP is because I didn't want to go out and buy new jeans in a bigger size. Just be realistic about what you can lose in a reasonable and healthy way in 4 weeks. You can make a lot of progress and lose pounds and inches in that time, definitely, but it is the habits that you develop over that month that will keep the weight coming off. You can do it. You really can. Consider adding some older women as friends on MFP - I'm up in Seattle and happy to support you on your journey.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

All of us have been there.

Go to a used clothing store and get something to get you through while you're losing weight. I went to Goodwill yesterday and bought myself two blouses and my son 6 gorgeous shirts and a pair of pants for a grand total of $23.

When I finished grad school and was really truly broke I wore chinos or jeans every day (I had 3 pairs of pants) and white men's shirts. I would change my scarf and my pin every day to vary the look. People complimented me on my style all the time. But it was the least expensive way I could think of to dress.

A little while out you will fit back in your clothes. It is more important to get well started on long term weight loss.