Dried Beans

Options
Eafears
Eafears Posts: 135 Member
I can't seem to make these right. I follow the package directions but everytime they still come out hard or just not all the way tender. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to cook dried beans?

Replies

• vincent1959
    Options
    I do not have a solution. But I have the same problem when I have used dried beans. I have even soaked the beans for up to 3 days. Maybe a pressure cooker might work?
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Try this method: http://www.thepauperedchef.com/2009/06/90-minute-no-soak-beans.html. I find it works GREAT! I just discovered it a few months ago and now I am hooked.
  • cmcorn26
    cmcorn26 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Mrsfreedom41
    Mrsfreedom41 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    When I cook dried beans, I put them in a big stock pot, cover with cold water, bring to a boil and turn down to a simmer. Let them simmer for at least one hour then turn off and let them sit for another hour. Then pour off that water, put in fresh cold water, then cook them till tender. Don't remember how long this takes, but you can tell if you mash a bean against the side of the pan and it is soft and is getting somehwhat mushy. Works for me everytime.
  • Eafears
    Options
    Thanks! I will give both of those methods a try and see what works best.
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've been making dried pinto beans for years but this method works for all types of beans. Sort the beans removing any tiny rocks and yucky beans. Cover the beans with water and swish around to clean them. Drain and rinse at least two more times to be certain they are clean. Cover the beans with liquid (sometimes half my liquid is chicken or beef stock) and bring to a boil. (At this point is when I add a chopped onion, minced garlic and spices. For pintos I add cumin, garlic powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.) After the beans come to a boil, let them boil for three minutes then turn the heat off and let them sit for one hour. Bring back to a boil then lower heat and simmer for at least three hours. Check the beans and if still too firm, continue to simmer. I usually simmer for at least four hours because I like my beans soft. Good luck.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Pressure cooker. If you're at a high elevation it doesn't matter how long you soak or cook, they won't be soft, unless you use a pressure cooker.
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    The crockpot makes them delish EVERY time!
  • Eafears
    Options
    I never thought of making them in the crockpot. I will have to try that! I love my crockpot.
  • tmattis64
    Options
    Hi Eafears,

As others have suggested using a pressure cooker (quickest method) or crockpot works well. Boiling also works well but the time varies depending on the type of bean, split pea, or lentil. These are all great for alternate (non-meat) protein sources.

If you have access to a Whole Foods Market you can pick up a free "bulk basics guide" booklet within the bulk food section. The guide estimates the cook-time for each variation.

Here are links to the online version of the guide:

- Beans: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/department/article/beans

- Split peas, and lentils: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/department/article/split-peas-and-lentils

They also have sections on grains, nuts, flour, etc.

I use an electric pressure cooker for Kidney beans if I'm in a hurry (about 40 minutes cook-time), but I normally use the combination of stove-top boiling, and finish the beans in the crockpot in chili or soups. Boiling and simmering on the stove-top allows you to flavor the beans independently if you have plans to add them to a soup or stew later. I usually spice them up with some heat since I enjoy spicy foods.

Hope this helps!
    Tony
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I rinse my beans in a colander to get the dirt/dust/rocks off/out and then I put them in my crockpot and fill it up with water so there is approximately 1 inch of watch above the beans. Let them soak overnight in the crockpot on the counter (not the refrigerator). In the morning, rinse the beans again in the colander (it rinses some starch out), and put them back in the crockpot, and cover them with water again, and cook them on low all day long. Depending on your make/model it might take a little longer to get your beans where you want them (mushiness), but I have done this for years and its worked great every time. I like to add raw bacon to mine to cook pinto beans and give them some extra flavor, but this is not necessary. Good luck!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I cook mine in the slow cooker and they turn out fine. My mom and grandmother have always said that when making chili, soups ext with dried beans DO NOT add the tomatoes until the beans are at the desired tenderness. They swore that adding the tomatoes (or any acid) too early would make the beans tough. It may be an old wives tale but I've never had tough beans no matter what cooking method I use.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    The age of the beans are important. If they're old they take much more cooking than if they're fresh, so make sure you buy them from somewhere you trust and check the sell-by date on the pack.

Altitude also - they take longer if you're high up than they do at sea-level.

ETA - sometimes if you've made a batch that are tough, freezing them for a while can help make them more edible.
  • Eafears
    Options
    Hi Eafears,

As others have suggested using a pressure cooker (quickest method) or crockpot works well. Boiling also works well but the time varies depending on the type of bean, split pea, or lentil. These are all great for alternate (non-meat) protein sources.

If you have access to a Whole Foods Market you can pick up a free "bulk basics guide" booklet within the bulk food section. The guide estimates the cook-time for each variation.

Here are links to the online version of the guide:

- Beans: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/department/article/beans

- Split peas, and lentils: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/department/article/split-peas-and-lentils

They also have sections on grains, nuts, flour, etc.

I use an electric pressure cooker for Kidney beans if I'm in a hurry (about 40 minutes cook-time), but I normally use the combination of stove-top boiling, and finish the beans in the crockpot in chili or soups. Boiling and simmering on the stove-top allows you to flavor the beans independently if you have plans to add them to a soup or stew later. I usually spice them up with some heat since I enjoy spicy foods.

Hope this helps!
    Tony

Thanks for the links Tony I will check out the info. :)
  • Neecie910
    Neecie910 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump for later