If you don't like it, then why do you eat it?

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I only eat what I love the taste of and then mostly what gives my body value. That's pretty much it. My calorie budget is to precious to waste on anything else.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Agreed, well said.
  • ravenlaramie
    ravenlaramie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    *** WARNING *** If you scroll down now, you will see that this post is longer than most. If you have the attention span of a West Nile Virus infected mosquito, please do not begin reading it, get sucked into my thoughtful prose and laying open of a sensitive emotionally vulnerable side of me, only to blame me and flame me for the length of this post later on. You have been warned.

Earlier this morning, I made a status update. It mentioned how I didn't like oatmeal, but I knew it was healthy for me, so I was eating it anyway. I received MANY helpful hints. Some were to disguise it with things I had never heard of (some kind of agave nector and flax seeds, which is what I thought they grew chia pets with). Others were to blend in things that, well, let's just say that they sort of defeat the purpose of being on MFP (chocolate chips, sugar, table salt, brown sugar, maple syrup, etc.). All of the responses, I am certain, were well intentioned. However, one response that I read was so simple, so elegant, so thought provoking, and so potentially life changing (for me), that I felt like I should share it with you here.

"If you don't like oatmeal, then why do you eat it."

Sounds simple enough. We are all familiar with the kid who, at 8:30 p.m.-- because of an ultimatum from mom or dad-- is sitting alone at the dining room table because he or she wouldn't eat his or her lima beans, spinach, liver, broccoli, or other nutritious yet culinary uninspiring ingredient. "Don't even THINK ABOUT getting up from that chair until you've finished your... "

Well, I am no kid, and my parents, rest their souls, were not involved in my oatmeal-based decision making this morning. Why, then, was I so compelled to eat my oatmeal no matter how gag-inducing it was? I knew that the question resonated deeply with me. I could tell because I practically ignored the Houston Texans opening game that I had looked forward to for weeks in order to think it through (according to my ESPN app, they won, 30-10 against the Dolphins, thank you very much).

Here's what I came up with.

The amount of oatmeal that I consumed for breakfast contained 600 calories, very little fat, NO sodium (a big issue for me), virtually NO sugar, 16 grams of protein, and lots of (I don't know the correct term) teeny-tiny woolygroobers that circulate in your veins and arteries and clean out the oogie-squoogie bad stuff). It filled me up for HOURS and left me many, many precious calories for me to enjoy later in the day (helooooooooo healthy tacos with grilled chicken and fish and veggies). So there were good nutritional reasons and tactical dieting reasons to eat it. And to be honest, after about the third or fourth spoonful, I truly began to enjoy the simple, stripped down nutty flavor of the goopy glob. It felt good to be able to enjoy something that, prior to today, would only be mentioned by me with an upturned nose and/or a full body shudder.

But here's the really important part. I ate my oatmeal because it was important to me for me to redefine my relationship with food. Prior to recently, I ate for three reasons. What I ate tasted good. What I ate made me feel good (or so I thought). What I ate made me less hungry (again, or so I thought). Every time I took a bite of fried chicken, or hot homemade biscuits, or meat loaf, I was magically transported back to my own mother's kitchen where she would lovingly dish out the stuff, encouraging me to "ENJOY!" And fatty, salty deli meats... every bite of a piled high pastrami sandwich (on rye with mustard... is there any other way?) transported me back to some distant and happy family get together in the 1970's when I was a young child. I came to realize that my enjoyment of most of the rich or fatty or sugary or salty things that I enjoy eating are NOT a result of the immediate biochemical processes and physical sensations that they cause. Truth be known, most of the time that I eat many of the foods that got me into weight trouble in the first place, it causes more physical discomforts than satisfaction. But until recently, that was never enough for me to persuade myself to give them up. So what has changed?

In the past few weeks of my 40+ day MFP journey, I have tried to disengage the "foods I (literally) grew to love" from their emotional and psychological linkages and (and this is the important part) BEGIN TO eat healthier choices FROM TIME TO TIME simply because they are healthier for me. In other words, I am working to stop treating food as love, food as nurturing, food as comfort, food as friend, and recognize that, for the overwhelming part, FOOD IS SUPPOSED TO BE FUEL. And the more nutrient dense, low bad fat, high good fat, high protein, complex carb foods that I include in my diet, the better my mileage will be, so to speak.

So this morning, when *I* made myself eat my oatmeal, it was out of the recognition that *I* have the POWER to control and decide what I put in my mouth and body-- not some long distant emotional or psychological linkage to "the good old days" that I had created over the past five decades. Sometimes, that will be small portions of ridiculously unhealthy foods simply because I enjoy them (bacon, chocolate, great hamburgers, ice cream, etc.). MORE of the time, it will be foods that I have traditionally shunned because I perceived that their flavor, or the subconscious psychological or emotional payoff to eating them, was not high enough to warrant their consumption. And here's the best part of all. By "forcing myself" to "eat my oatmeal," with NO sugar, NO salt, NO chocolate chips, NO maple syrup or anything else, I actually learned to enjoy the simple flavor that it brought to my morning.

I am sorry I didn't pay more attention to this afternoon's football game. However, by learning what I finally did, I may, just may, have found the key to unlock this fat suit that I stuffed myself into over the past few decades. I can't wait for the REAL me to come out and visit with y'all over the coming months and years.

Scott R. in Houston, Tx.

I read your entire post- every word of it. I have to say I find it incredibly inspiring! I thank you sincerely for sharing this story with us. It has mad me rethink about the choices I've made and will make in the future.
  • LindaCrook
    Options
    Great post but I would KILL for a bowl of oatmeal. I am on a very special eating plan (I hate the word diet) under doctors orders at the moment with no grains, milk or sugar. However it is only a temporary thing and I can hopefully re-introduce all (except the sugar - I was already not having sugar anyway) in a couple of weeks time.

Love your style of writing and can't wait for the next one.
  • MissesForrester
    MissesForrester Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Love this post!
  • Celestialfairie
    Options
    I really love your posts. You have such an amazing writing ability that where I usually avoid reading really long posts here, I never have an issue with yours. You should turn these longer posts into a book, as it could be very helpful to others in your position one day.

I wish I could eat oatmeal as I love it, but it disagrees with my stomach unfortunately.
    But I too have had to learn to balance out the foods I need nutritionally, but might not find as 'enjoyable' with the foods I find really enjoyable and emotionally satisfying. So even if I feel like having a huge baked potato with prawn mayonnaise or some quiche, I stick mainly to my fish, seafood, cottage cheese, eggs, omelette and lots of veggies for dinner, and my fruit and quark before bed, and allow myself a few treats throughout the day. It is hard sometimes, especially when feeling particularly stressed or depressed, and sometimes even when feeling really happy, but it works.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    your post just inspired me to eat oatmeal hhahaha and i hate the stuff
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Personally I see food as both something pleasurable and fuel - fulfilling a human desire for sensory pleasure as well as serving a functional purpose...So for me, controlling eating is more about reducing portions, and refraining from over-indulging in salty snacks.

This. I think to break it down, I'll eat oatmeal in order to have room for the yummy stuff.

While I don't care for Aristotle's philosophy all that much, his idea of finding a "golden mean" is really important. Taking your relationship with food from one extreme to another is not realistic. I like that you were excited about the healthy tacos later in day. It's a nice balance.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Scott,

Thank you very much for sacrificing a beloved game and for taking the time to write this thoughtful and lovely post. I want you to know that I read every single word and laughed out loud at "teeny-tiny woolygroobers that circulate in your veins and arteries and clean out the oogie-squoogie bad stuff."

I sincerely wish you nothing but the very best on your health and fitness journey. :flowerforyou:

PS. Coincidentally, I had added old-fashioned oats to my grocery list a mere two hours ago. :)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I don't typically eat food I don't like, but I have started eating food I don't want. Instead of a hamburger and fries for lunch, which is what I wanted, I had some broccoli, zucchini, green beans and chicken. Did it taste good? For sure. I can't always indulge my food whims, although I often try to be reasonable with them.
  • amswanson3
    amswanson3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I've slowly been doing this with myself. Oatmeal was one of the foods that I couldn't stand a few months ago. Now, I eat it every so often (small steps). I've also found way to eat other veggies that I would never have eaten. I'm learning to eat the better food choices and learn to enjoy them.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This may be besides the point, but don't knock dropping in a measured amount of high quality chocolate chips. Don't stir. It's amazing. It's like a soft batch chocolate chip cookie. High quality chocolate in moderate amounts is good for you :)
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Great post ...... thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts !

I was one of those kids, the kid sitting at the kitchen table long after the dinner dishes were put away, the kid staring at the lima beans LOL

And 4 years ago I said I would NEVER use skim milk ....... well, guess what ..... I gradually weaned myself off whole milk, off 2%, off 1% ...... now I use skim milk every day & find whole milk too "thick" .......

Still not crazy about lima beans though :drinker:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Interesting post.

I agree that sometimes it can be beneficial to consume something healthy that you don't like so you can prove your will to yourself. A related example is if there is ice cream in my fridge. Yes, I could go downstairs, have a small bowl, and still not go over my calories or be any worse off. However, there's something about being able to resist that makes me feel strong. I love seeing that willpower, and it helps me make better choices when it really DOES count.

Yes, it's totally possible to find foods that you enjoy and avoid those that you don't like completely. However, there's something to be said for showing yourself you can push through the resistance.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Yep, I don't like oatmeal (porridge) but lately I've been eating it.
    I certainly wouldn't say foods I don't like wouldn't be in the 'foods I will not have in my house' category, I just don't prefer them to others.
    I have also been changing my relationship with food to one where it is fuel more often than enjoyment and to be honest, I'm enjoying the foods I'm eating MORE than what I was eating before. It's like my brain knows that there is going to be a better effect from them and it just tastes better. But I have really enojyed healthy food for a long time, I just ate too much of it and slipped lots of other things in between.

I appreciate what the better choices do for me. Oatmeal keeps me so full and happy until nearly lunch time, I have to reduce my snacking for my next drop in cals, so I don't have to snack in between breakfast and lunch. That makes me really happy.

I wouldn't force myself to eat something that I had to hold my nose for or feel sick because of it though.
  • enid42
    enid42 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe that all of us wouldn't have consumed the foods that we did today, if we weren't paying attention and logging our foods. I've made hundreds of decisions on what would be the best for me and not automatically reach for what I used to eat. Part of my healthier lifestyle is trying new foods and giving them a fair chance, cutting down on calories in my old favorite foods and staying within safe guidelines on sodium and cholesterol.

Good for you for evaluating what you eat on their health benefits.
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Beautifully put as ever - Food as a reward was the big one in my family, a habit I am trying to break for me and not start with my boys!
    I do however love my porridge, preferably with fresh blueberries but any fruit wil do :)
  • gardener3000
    Options
    Just joined MFP (literally 10 minutes ago) and this is my 1st reply.
    Loved the entertainment value and "food for thought" of the post.
    Thanks!
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Great post (as always)! I don't know if someone else posted this in your oatmeal thread, but you can try making the oatmeal with only about 2/3 of the oats, cook it until it's almost done but still a bit thin, remove from heat, and then mix in the last 1/3 of the oats. I love the taste of oatmeal but I'm not too crazy about the texture, but in this way, it's not as gooey. If you add a small dash of cinnamon, and couple of chopped almonds, oatmeal can be really delicious. And this is coming from someone who used to hate oatmeal up until a year ago...