Over calorie limit

Options
No matter how well I think I'm doing, I always end up over my calorie limit. Part of it is that I live on a college campus and my healthy choices are severely limited and not very filling. How do I train myself to stay under my calorie limit and still be satisfied? I drink a ton of water already. Help?

Replies

• musenchild
    musenchild Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Ugh, college was the worst for me! The choices were terrible!

Pick the simplest/least processed foods you can. Make the salad bar your friend. Anything with lots of fiber will be more filling, this applies to most fruits and vegetables. I'm sure people can give more specific and helpful advice if you open your diary.
  • Mommagoose4
    Mommagoose4 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Everyone will say -- open your diary so we can see so we can suggest.
    My suggestion HIGH PROTEIN -- High Fiber - both keep you fuller longer & even though maybe higher in calories could possibly reduce your hunger.
  • burbanum
    burbanum Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie limit? I would suggest upping it to a liveable amount. Maybe slow your weight loss goals to 1/2 a pound or 1 lb a week at most and add in 30-60 min exercise daily. if you are on a college campus you probably walk a lot so make sure you track fitness to earn a little extra for eating.
  • adam1885282
    adam1885282 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Do you track throughout the day? I track as I eat, which is pretty easy with the mobile app. Also, I don't want this to sound weird, but eat less, maybe? Then if you're not over you can snack at the end of the day.

What is your goal?
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You have to plan ahead. Also, it's a target, not a limit. It's ok to be a little over or a little under.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Try your best to plan ahead. I fill my diary out the night before. Yes, it always changes, but I have a better grasp of exactly how many calories I can play around with throughout the day.

High protein also keeps me fuller longer, as well as foods that are rich in natural fats (nuts, avocados, ect.).

Best of luck! College is one of the reasons I'm here trying to lose weight, so I commend you on attempting to get a hold on your nutrition while you can!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    why do you have to eat crap just because you're in college? and what's your calorie limit?
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Can you cook one day a week? Like make a bunch of chicken breasts for your lunches? Even if you can't cook, replace breakfast with a protein shake which at its simplest is powder and water. If you really have to go out and eat all of the time, look at nutrition tables online before you go so that you can make the best choice.

Increase your protein intake, don't avoid fat entirely, and reduce your carbs to feel more full. Pull the bun off of your burger to save a shocking number of cals. Or even use half the bun and a lettuce leaf for the top.

Work out to burn off some of the extra cals. 30 day shred is available on youtue, only takes 20 minutes, and burns a couple hundred calories.

That is about as much help as I can give you without being able to see your diary
  • jesekelynne
    Options
    You could try to plan your day ahead of time...You can't uneat calories, but you can earn extra calories with exercise if you know what to expect.
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    i log everything as I eat it so I know where I am. If I eat too much I do some exercise (earn my dinner lol) this can be just walking around a bit to burn some calories. Logging everything as I do it means I know what is going on and I can change my behavior accordingly.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    university was a disaster for me on the nutrition front too! fish & chips one night, kebab the next. of course, you're out drinking alcohol quite regularly, and after drinking you are more prone to making bad food decisions. and that's without the damage the alcohol itself does.

anyway, i find the key to staying full is to bulk meals out with low calorie vegetables, and to have plenty of protein. i find that porridge oats for breakfast work well, and water does obviously help.

unfortunately, if you're eating sugary stuff you probably will feel hungry again quite quickly.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Ugh. College. I gained a bunch of weight my senior year, which is part of the reason I'm here now haha. I feel your pain.

Anyway, try to eat lots of veggies--veggie wraps, salads, etc. For a snack, I'd get some carrots and eat them with a wedge of Laughing Cow cheese. If you have a sweet tooth, skip dessert and have a cup of hot chocolate instead. It's sooo comforting at night and you can find tons that are under 100 calories when made with water. If you need something more substantial, grab a light yogurt and freeze it.

Also, pickles. It sounds weird, but most don't have any calories (so they say. They may actually have a little.) and they're crunchy and satisfying.
  • BeckZombie
    BeckZombie Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If she has a meal plan, she mainly eats the food served in the cafeteria, which usually isn't very healthy. Lots of pizza and fried foods and a wilted salad bar haha
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    can you get a little fridge for your room? fresh fruits and veggies to snack on will help. I know some students have a meal plan, in which case you might have your food money limited to on campus meals. Usually you can get some kind of eggs for breakfast if you like them? Also, cereal and skim milk, if you chose the right cereals and measure out single portions, can be a good choice too.

I can see protein options being difficult because of how they are prepared but I wonder... some students have special dietary needs that I think the school might need to accommodate (low sugar, low fat, low salt, etc). Perhaps you can look into that and see if there is an option that will work for you, you might just need to ask. If it's only by doctors orders, you might be able to get a recommendation for that if you see a physician.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You CAN eat healthily in college..some thoughts based on my experience...

1) my college had chicken sandwiches and veggie burgers....put them on top of a salad with balsamic vinegar.
    2) have omelets at breakfast--we could say what we wanted in them and they used cooking spray for the grill
    3) bowl of cereal with yogurt and hard boiled eggs
    4) fruit with peanut butter and a slice of toast or a few strips of bacon (yes bacon)
    5) 1 slice of pizza with steamed veggies
    6) bowl of beans--heat in the microwave and top w/ cheese (both from salad bar)
    7) cottage cheese w/ fruit or on top of a slice of toast spread w/ 1 tsp or so of jam
    8) oatmeal
    9) steamed veggies w/ a bunless burger and a side of brown rice (both at the "hot bar" in my college)
  • crazycakez
    Options
    Are you on the meal plan? Is there a kitchen in your dorm/apartment? Definitely open your food diary so we have an idea of what you're eating. I had a hard time my first year in college when I was living in the dorms, things were definitely easier once I moved to an off-campus apartment with a full kitchen.

If you're stuck with the cafeteria food, just focus on making the best choices possible. Start off your meals with a salad. Pass by the fried foods and heavy dishes and have a sandwich or chicken breast. Fill up with protein, which should help keep you full longer. Grab some fruit and take it with you to go so you have a healthy snack for later in the day. I used to take a small tupperware container and put some peanut butter in it, and grab an apple or banana from the cafeteria for a good snack on the go. You could also buy some protein bars (I love Luna Bars).

Good luck! The "Freshman 15" is a well known affliction for a reason.
  • cutiepieinchi
    Options
    Do you have a grocery store near you? You could go and buy fruits and veggies and store in a fridge if you have one.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You have to plan ahead. Also, it's a target, not a limit. It's ok to be a little over or a little under.

I just had an ahha moment. Being over 20 calories is not going to kill me. There seems to be a pulling desire for "was under her calorie goal" Thank you for this.