Detroit free press (half) marathon training advice.

Options
Hello there.

My name is Kate, and I'm in relatively good fitness. I'm overweight, but extremely active. I bike 20-30k no problem, and I do circuit training and am currently having some fun with Insanity.

A friend asked me if I was interested in running the Detroit half marathon. I'm not a runner, but I'm not a couch potato either.
The date is Oct 21st for the half, which makes it around 8-9 weeks away?

So my question is, do you think this is achievable? I would love to knock it off my bucket list, but I'm afraid I got on board too late.
Advice?

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Do you run at all? If so, what's the longest distance you've done to date?

If not, go from no running to a half marathon in 9 weeks will probably be pretty rough. You have endurance from the biking, but the stress on the body and the total self-propulsion of running is a totally different beast from biking.

It wouldn't be impossible to finish, but you'd likely be walking a fair bit of it if you don't have any running already under your belt.

I'm training for my second half marathon, had gone about 6 miles as my longest run prior to starting training for my first one and used a 12 week long training program to be able to run it from start to finish. And I'm using the same 12 week training program for my next one as well.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    How many miles would you say you can run now?

If you're not running at all, 9 weeks to a half might be a stretch to finish the whole thing running- but if your fitness level is good, I would bet you could finish- but it might end up being run/walk intervals rather than running the whole thing.
  • Keightisgr8
    Keightisgr8 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have run 5k before. Without stopping. It hurt after though!
    I did some "jogging" mostly, where I did run/jog for 5k a couple times.

I don't know how to test how far I can go without injuring myself, the one time I ran the 5k without stopping I didn't feel terrible while it was happening, but then after I was unable to walk for a few days because I wasn't really used to it.

I would really like to know how to attempt a distance while still knowing my limits.
    (I'm sorry I'm such a newbie!)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Here's a good run/walk training program:
    http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/half_marathon.html

Now, obviously you don't have that much time. I'm not expert enough to tell you exactly how to modify the program. If you can get yourself to 11 miles by week 7, so that week 8 can be a taper before the race, you'll be in really good shape to finish. The best you can do is try, and know your limits. Is there a 5 or 10-k concurrent with the half marathon that you could do instead?
  • Keightisgr8
    Options
    I just looked into it, there is a 5k available, but it doesn't go over the bridge and in the tunnel, which is the reason I want to do this particular event. Maybe I'll do the 5k this year, and attempt the half next? There's still almost two weeks until registration deadline, so I'm going to see what this body can handle!

Thank you so much for the help :)
  • superfitconball
    superfitconball Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The half marathon distance is a very "doable" distance, however your pace and results may vary depending on how much training you do.
    If you are happy just to complete it, I would say go for it...however if you want to finish with some sort of target time, then you might want to defer it for a race where you have more time to train.

If you are set on running the race, here are some things to keep in mind...

Don't train "extra hard" right now to make up for your lack of time. This will only get you injured and burn you out before the race. Ease your way into it.

There are some 8-10 week training programs you can find out there online. But typically, you should try to vary your training a bit.
    Within a week you should do a mid distance run at a moderate pace. One or two shorter runs at a faster pace, and if you can get some hills into your run or try some intervals, they will help your muscles deal with lactic acid.
    And then you should get some miles on your shoes by building up to a longer run...go at a slow pace where you can easily carry on a conversation.
    You'll get an idea on the long run what state you are in mentally, how much water you might want to carry, if you need to bring some sort of energy drinks/bars on the run. (typically after 10K you want to start carrying something to make sure you don't hit a wall...but also be careful if you're not used to using them, the can cause cramps).

For race day, one of the biggest things is to not be tempted to start off running too fast. There will be adrenaline and a crowd and lots of people running past you, but remember it's a long race and want to feel good through the whole thing, rather than burn out half way. Typically the 9 or 10 mile mark is when I start feeling it...so if you make it to then and still feel good, then feel free to pick things up.

And since you're training period is short, I'd recommend rather than aiming to run the whole thing, to do run/walk intervals. When I've done half marathons with not much training, I actually do 10-and-1's (run 10 walk 1), it breaks the race down into manageable chunks that you can tackle at a time.

Feel free to message me if you have more questions. I don't run too much any more, but I used to help out with the beginner running clinics so I can dust of some of that knowledge.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    in addition to jeff galloway you may also want to look at hal higdon
    http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51131/Half-Marathon-Novice-1-Training-Program
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon's plans are the ones I've used. A slightly modified version of his intermediate plan for each of the ones I've done.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll do the 5k this year, and attempt the half next?
    I think that's the smartest option. You could almost certainly get yourself in shape to finish a half, but if your goal is to continue to run long-term, a more gradual approach is less likely to lead to injury and burnout.
  • Keightisgr8
    Options
    Update: Today I ran 2 miles in 25 minutes.
    I've also found two people to train with, and I think I'm actually going to attempt the 13.1
    I know I can finish it, just not super fast/running the whole time - I was just informed you're not considered a cheater if you walk part way which was a huge concern (I'm really new at this)

I'll keep updating, or feel free to add me as a friend - I'm always looking for people that do what I do!
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I've also found two people to train with, and I think I'm actually going to attempt the 13.1
    I know I can finish it, just not super fast/running the whole time - I was just informed you're not considered a cheater if you walk part way which was a huge concern (I'm really new at this)

I'll keep updating, or feel free to add me as a friend - I'm always looking for people that do what I do!
    With the freep marathon isn't there an option to do it as a relay? You still may not be able to do the tunnel and the bridge but you may get to do one of them.

Also whoever mentioned the Hal Higdon training program, I'd look into that. I've heard good things.

Also, if it's your first big race you'll probably be able to run a bit farther than normal because of race day adrenaline. At least I can usually.

Just have fun, it doesn't really matter how much you walk or what your time is, you're doing it just to do it, not to win.
  • intoscrapping
    intoscrapping Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    It is all mental. You can totally do it if you set your mind to do it ... plus you are already an active and fairly fit person. Good luck! :-)