Very female oriented!!!!! What to do when the Doctors blow y

Options
Ok so before anyone tells me to go to the doctor I have.
I am a USMC wife and so I am limited to the doctors that I can see. I do not get to choose my doc they choose one for me and if I am unhappy I call and they choose another. So thus begins the problem I have seen more docs than I can count on one hand in the past 2.5 years whether because they deployed, got a new duty station, quit or because I was unsatisfied with the care. When we go home on leave I get to see my regular Doc who has been treating me since I was a kid. In Jan he put me on blood thinners do to a suspected PME he requested I remain on them for 6 months. So the doc here can not seem to get me to a level where my blood is as then as he would like it. He has played with my dose for 5 months. On April 13 I started a period and seriously have not stopped bleeding since. I called the doc 3 weeks in and he said it was fine and did not even do an exam. I was not ok with this and called tricare to switch doctors. I changed and the new doc can not get me in even after I have had major bleeding passed a clot that was scary looking and informed them I am on blood thinners. His nurse will not even speak with me. So I called the advice nurse and was sent to see a Nurse Practitioner in another office who spent the entire appointment scolding me for not seeing my Primary care Doc even after I explained I could not get in. She found a bacterial infection in my vagina and did not explain any further just put me on more antibiotics. Did not seem too concerned about the bleeding because it had nearly stopped yesterday. Well today I am bleeding really bad again and I do not know where to turn. I am scared soemthing is really wrong. Does anyone have any advice? Have you been through something similiar and found a way to make them listen?

Replies

• rayneenie
    rayneenie Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Ok so before anyone tells me to go to the doctor I have.
    I am a USMC wife and so I am limited to the doctors that I can see. I do not get to choose my doc they choose one for me and if I am unhappy I call and they choose another. So thus begins the problem I have seen more docs than I can count on one hand in the past 2.5 years whether because they deployed, got a new duty station, quit or because I was unsatisfied with the care. When we go home on leave I get to see my regular Doc who has been treating me since I was a kid. In Jan he put me on blood thinners do to a suspected PME he requested I remain on them for 6 months. So the doc here can not seem to get me to a level where my blood is as then as he would like it. He has played with my dose for 5 months. On April 13 I started a period and seriously have not stopped bleeding since. I called the doc 3 weeks in and he said it was fine and did not even do an exam. I was not ok with this and called tricare to switch doctors. I changed and the new doc can not get me in even after I have had major bleeding passed a clot that was scary looking and informed them I am on blood thinners. His nurse will not even speak with me. So I called the advice nurse and was sent to see a Nurse Practitioner in another office who spent the entire appointment scolding me for not seeing my Primary care Doc even after I explained I could not get in. She found a bacterial infection in my vagina and did not explain any further just put me on more antibiotics. Did not seem too concerned about the bleeding because it had nearly stopped yesterday. Well today I am bleeding really bad again and I do not know where to turn. I am scared soemthing is really wrong. Does anyone have any advice? Have you been through something similiar and found a way to make them listen?
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    Why are you on blood thinners?
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Do you have the option of going to an ER? Because there is something seriously wrong, probably easily fixable, but even a small cut that simply continuously bleeds can cause some major problems, problems that can easily be avoided. I say, bypass all the "docs"and have your husband take you to the ER. They have everything you could possibly need with all the tests possible. You need some answers definitely sooner than later.
  • beep
    beep Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    They have to be really careful with Tricare (wonderful military socialized medicine) as they could get stuck with the entire bill. Check with a rep first (if you can get ahold of one.)
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    That stinks. I'm guessing the military hasn't quite caught up with all the female issues yet. Do they have an emergency department, like after hours. Maybe the daytime office hour people aren't the people to talk to. Maybe contacting someone after hours may make them see the emergency behind it. I'd hate for you to pass out before someone pays attention. How is your energy level?
  • rayneenie
    Options
    The only ER I have available that I can go to with out being in an accident out in town is the naval hospital. I am on Blood Thinners because they thought I had a blood clot in my lung in Jan. W go home on leave in 18 days but I can not wait that long to get real care. I am scared that something is seriously wrong and these docs just keep treating me like I am an idiot and blowing smoke up my rear.
  • rayneenie
    Options
    That stinks. I'm guessing the military hasn't quite caught up with all the female issues yet. Do they have an emergency department, like after hours. Maybe the daytime office hour people aren't the people to talk to. Maybe contacting someone after hours may make them see the emergency behind it. I'd hate for you to pass out before someone pays attention. How is your energy level?

I am fine some days and then days like today when the bleeding has been minimal for 2-3 days previous i get really weak and sleepy and then I start bleeding bad.
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I really don't have any idea about any of this, I just wanted to say I'm thinking about and praying for you.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Have you considered paying for a doctor's consultation at a non-military hospital?
  • DesertWind
    DesertWind Posts: 17
    Options
    It may be beneficial for you to look at Tricare Standard. Far more Doctors accept Standard, but you pay more out of pocket. Bottom line, you need to do something now!!
  • rayneenie
    Options
    Have you considered paying for a doctor's consultation at a non-military hospital?

If we had the money for that I would have ran to a civilian doc.
    It may be beneficial for you to look at Tricare Standard. Far more Doctors accept Standard, but you pay more out of pocket. Bottom line, you need to do something now!!

as it is here right now if you live aboard you are locked into the naval hospital and are not allowed to see a civilian provider. I tried to get her to send me out in town and she was going to then Woops she figured out she was unable.
  • foxfire9372
    foxfire9372 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    If your chain of command is similair to Army, go see the OIC and file a complaint. I didn't have to for the doc's I was seeing, but for my husband's battalion who thought I was not really on bed rest, with my doc's note. A friend of mine just went through something similair. Finally got the right doc. I have chewed out several doc's in my time with TriCare. Another thing which they don't tell you is that if you do same day appts, a lot of times they have 10 min to see you and 15 for regular appt. Request a referral for a gyn. Don't let them intimidate you. Eat *kitten*, chew *kitten* and remind them that you have need of service, not attitude.