1/2 Marathon Runners: Advice?

Options
Is it better to start at a decent pace (say a 9 min/mile) and just increase mileage

OR

Run slower and further at first and then increase pace?

Obviously, I can run a lot further when I'm going at 6mph (about 4 miles) as opposed to 7mph (only 2 miles right now).

What's the most effective way to train?

Replies

• RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Go farther to run faster. Your pace should be such that you can still carry on a conversation.

Later in training you may start doing some speed or interval trainings. But in the beginning worry more about time on your feet rather than how fast you go.

I like the McMillan pace calculator. Should give you a good idea for how fast your runs should be.

(my race pace is like 9 to 10 min miles; my long run pace is like 1140!)
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    have a run a week where you go slow but get the distance up

have another shorter run a week where you run faster to keep your speed.

(this is, obviously, a very very simplified running plan)
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    distance should always come before speed. You have to learn how to manage the "time on your feet" before you should be thinking about how fast you are going. Long run speed should always be such that you can carry on a conversation while you are running. It may seem slow, but you are doing important work by building up your distance. You can have one run per week that focuses more on speed: do fartleks, for example, after you have given yourself a good 1 to 2 mile warm up.
    9:00 mile is a pretty quick pace for an entire 13 miles, if this is a first half, so try not to worry too much about speed, and just focus on distance. Depending on how long you have to train, you may very well end up meeting that 9:00 per mile goal.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Read this. http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

To best improve your running ability first increase your aerobic capacity by running often and running long.

Much speed will come by doing this alone. More speed can come with some specific speed training after you have built an aerobic foundation.

If you try and build the speed first you will quickly improve a little and then plateau and improve no further. If you focus on building aerobic capacity you can continue to improve for years.
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Go farther to run faster. Your pace should be such that you can still carry on a conversation.

This, speed will come with endurance. Endurance comes from time on your feet. Conversational is the key...if at the end of 4 miles you are struggling to breath, then 9min miles is still too fast for most of your runs. (Doesn't mean you won't hit the pace on race day)

Most of your runs should be 30 seconds/mile over HM pace and your long runs should be 60-90 seconds per mile slower. Stick with it, put in the miles and you will pleasantly surprised when you race. McMillian is a good place to start for paces, just be sure to plug in what you can do, not what you want to do.
  • moonmistmm
    moonmistmm Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I'm training for my own half marathon, so this can only be helpful to me!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I trained with 2 short runs where I did a faster pace and then 1 long run each week that gradually built distance. FWIW, my 5K time is around a 10 minute mile. My 1/2 time was 12:15 min miles. My 1/2 was also HOT, so you have to account for time of year as well with humidity/temp. I have friends who run a full 2 minutes/mile SLOWER in the summer than in the winter.
  • raeraeti
    Options
    This was really helpful, thank you all! So it seems like the most important thing to do is make sure I am running a lot, and for a decent amount of time. Focus on speed later into it, an even then still focus on distance.

I've been running fast and burning out after 20 minutes or so. I think I'll slow it down and go on 30-40 min for a few weeks.
  • raeraeti
    Options
    Also- yes, this is my 1st half. The longest race I've run is a 10K.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Bump....I start training in December for a 1/2 marathon.
  • griffx12
    griffx12 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Runners world site has great programs! My best advice is to take water at each stop but grab from the last table so you can get going faster. Remember you don't need to run going down hill let your body and gravity take you so you can get a little recovery time!!! I've done 17 I love them - it's a great distance. Good luck Have fun.
  • welshcoffeeaddict
    Options
    When I first decided to take part in our local half marathon, my initial concern was to get the distance. I admit I find it impossible to fit in the training for long sessions all the time, I had built up to 10km, so had about 3 1/2 months out I set myself 3 runs a week.
    1x 8km (5miles) per week at a moderate pace- so aim was to get faster, eventually going to 12kms (7.5miles).
    1x 5-6km (building to 8km), this was speed or intival work- so hills, sprints etc. this built up my speed.
    Then the 3rd was a long run. As I have every second firday off work, I would make that my LONG run and the other week just longish. The aim of this run was just time on the road... no pace, just distance, as it's all great to be able to run 10km at such a pace, but there's another 11km to go in a half.
    The week I was off I would add a bit more to the course, the other week I would add another 5mins.

Hope this helps
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Im a few weeks out from my first 10K and Ive actually been training off a half schedule. Over in the Runners World forum they basically say as others have said above. Speed will come with the miles under your belt. So thats what Im doing right now, just getting miles in. Sat I hit 8 straight for the first time. I started jogging around the end of May. I have never been a runner, I have always hated the thought of it... till now.

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • fairc3jam
    fairc3jam Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    distance should always come before speed. You have to learn how to manage the "time on your feet" before you should be thinking about how fast you are going. Long run speed should always be such that you can carry on a conversation while you are running. It may seem slow, but you are doing important work by building up your distance. You can have one run per week that focuses more on speed: do fartleks, for example, after you have given yourself a good 1 to 2 mile warm up.
    9:00 mile is a pretty quick pace for an entire 13 miles, if this is a first half, so try not to worry too much about speed, and just focus on distance. Depending on how long you have to train, you may very well end up meeting that 9:00 per mile goal.

This one
  • raeraeti
    Options
    Awesome, guys! I've been putting off following a program until I could run the 1st week easy at a 9min mile pace. I think I'll just slow it down to 6mph (or maybe lower at first) and start the program on Monday! (The longest run in the 1st week is 4-5 miles, I believe. I couldn't do that at my regular pace, but I know I can if I slow it down :)
    I have a feeling my training is really going to take off- thanks, people!!
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I agree with all of the above: distance, distance, distance! Also, if your first long run is 5-6 miles and you don't feel like you'll be able to complete it running, there is no shame in walking portions of it! It's more important that you complete the distance period than how you complete it! Have fun and good luck :flowerforyou:
  • raeraeti
    Options
    Okay, so walking is OK? I feel like if I have to walk I should start my week over or something... idk why
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I can do 3 miles at 11 min pace but that is about it right now. I need to slow it down to 13 ish to get 5+ miles in. If you feel like you have to walk, walk then. Just catch your breath and get back to it. Could be your still going to fast or just not built up to that distance yet. Either or as econut says, just get that distance in (walk, run, crawl, log roll).

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    You'll tend to start off at a faster pace because of the adrenaline at the starting line and the excitement of the event. Try to get yourself to your "normal" pace so you don't run out of steam before the end of the run.

When I train, I do 3 timed runs during the week, then focus on distance for a long run on the weekend. Once you've built up your distance, you can start adding some speed training if you want.

Good luck!