Chronic Pain and exercise

Options
Hi I suffer from chronic back pain from a degenerative disc disease and therefore find it difficult to exercise. Is anyone else in a similar position and if so have you any advice or help? Thanks :flowerforyou:

Replies

• catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I have DDD and herniated two discs in November. Additionally I had a previous separation of my SI joint. There are still lots of things you can do, most importantly, you need to find a physiotherapist or other professional who can teach you to strengthen your core first. That should help immensely with your pain.
  • jennai
    jennai Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Swimming may be a good option for you, as it eases the load-bearing on your joints and bones. Lots of places do water aerobics too. Swimming is an AWESOME workout, and I find it kind of indulgent in the dead of winter in Maine =)
  • IUChelle423
    Options
    You might try a recumbent exercise bike to take pressure off your back.
  • mwoerner
    Options
    I also suffer from disc herniation and mild scoliosis. Just recently the doctor prescribed a narcotic for me for pain, and it works. I work out on a elliptical trainer, which is a lower impact, and as long as I stand up straight, it doesnt hurt my back, but I definitely agree with Catherine about strenghthening your core. Good luck.
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options

I thought sitting put increased pressure on your spine? as all of the weight of your upper body is now focused directly onto the spine without being distributed through the legs?

might be way off tho? :ohwell:
  • 1Sweets
    1Sweets Posts: 395
    Options

I thought sitting put increased pressure on your spine? as all of the weight of your upper body is now focused directly onto the spine without being distributed through the legs?

might be way off tho? :ohwell:

I have many problems with my back: Stenosis, DDD, Slight Scoliosis, (whewww) and a Recumbent Bike is all I use. It is the best bike to use for these conditions. I love it. I traded a family member for it years ago. I'm still always in pain anyway but walking hurts to much. Check with your Doctor with a quick call.:flowerforyou:
  • jeaniesmith
    jeaniesmith Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Start small, try stretching exercises, Pilates. I had trouble at first, but started with easy on my joints bike riding and ellipse. Physical therapy helped me a lot too. It does get better with repetition.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Walk, walk walk:-) You don't mention if you are overweight or not, but just losing a few pounds will help significantly in reducing your back pain and the pressure on your discs. Walking is low impact, and you just makes you feel good. You don't have to try to 'kill' yourself to make a difference. Walking for 40 minutes continuously every day is a minimum, even if you have to go slow at first. Try a pedometer and strive to increase your steps every day by at least 1000 until you start hitting 10-12k.