HELP! SUGAR CRAVINGS!!!

Options
So I have been doing an awesome job the last month and a half with eating/exercise but feel like this past weekend it has been a huge down fall for me. I am having extremely bad sugar cravings and I dont know why. I have been getting complimented on my progress by many and I dont want to screw it up now. Please if you have any suggestions to help get through sugar cravings I would love to know.
Thank you!!
P.S I do drink as much water as I can but the cravings are still there :(

Replies

• OliveCarsey
    Options
    Have some fruit. Watermelon is my fav- low in cals high in water and sweet.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Water doesn't help me. Fruit does. I'll admit, it isn't the same as having whatever I'm specifically craving (past two weeks it's been hot fudge -- like a whole bowl of just hot fudge) but it helps me a bit.

- Flavored teas. Usually fruit (Lipton's blueberry & pomegranate for example) or even just regular tea with a slice of lemon.
    - Prunes
    - Apples
    - Grapefruit -- if I REALLY need sugar, then I'll add 1/4 tsp of sugar on each half of the grapefruit.
    - Eating something sweet like Fiber One's honey clusters with vanilla almond milk (NOT the unsweetened)
    - Raisins in Greek yoghurt with some oatmeal and raspberries
    - Strawberries

Or if i want to just shut my cravings up, I'll eat something like Ful Medames (http://shahiya.com/english/recipes/traditional-ful-medames-276) which, when made with half the EVOO you're looking at about 178 for 1/2 cup serving and it will sit in your stomach like a ROCK. You won't WANT anything else in your stomach then!
  • photojunkie28
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Have a piece of dark chocolate or a few roasted almonds..something with the sweetness you crave but still nutrients for your body. The longer you ignore it the worse it will be in my opinion. Just make room for it to fit within your macros and calorie goals and there you go...have your cake and eat it too. :)
  • lumyrainstar
    Options
    one of my friends on here uses the mantra: My goals are bigger than ________ . Ex my goals are bigger than a bowl of ice cream. just repeat this to yourself and go do something so you don't eat from habit or boredom. :) Hope it helps
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I have a 1/4 cup of ice cream with a bit of plain yoghurt and nuts on it. It's under 100 calories and all the sweet I need.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. Have a piece of dark chocolate or a few roasted almonds..something with the sweetness you crave but still nutrients for your body. The longer you ignore it the worse it will be in my opinion. Just make room for it to fit within your macros and calorie goals and there you go...have your cake and eat it too. :)

Yes.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have sugar!

I buy skinny cow items (110-150 depending on if you buy candy or ice cream), the individual ice cream cups (with the wooden spoons) or fiber one 90 calorie brownies.

I have something every night because I love sugar! It hasn't affected my progress and by buying things that are individually wrapped, I get away with one and I don't justify another scoop or another cookie!
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Watch Dr Lustig's utube video on "Sugar: The Bitter Truth". It scared me big time to give up a 64 year addiction to sugar. You also may think of getting your energy from fat rather than sugar. Good luck.
  • BrewerFan2
    Options
    I have been feeling the same way lately too. I have never liked dark chocolate, but people on here have save to try it with some flavorings like mint or orange flavorings in the middle. I picked up some Ghiradelli filled with orange a few days ago and tried a square last night and it tasted pretty good. It says on the bar that 3 squares is a serving, but I have chosen to limit myself to one small square per night or every other night (basically when I have the craving for it). Sometimes you have to allow yourself the treat so that you don't go overboard with other treats. Just a suggestion.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I avoid foods that spike my blood sugar... one bite starts a swing that marks the beginning of the end. Ask yourself what exactly it is that you want. Another poster was specific - hot fudge. What is yours, exactly? Keep asking yourself that until it's one, single thing.
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Watch Dr Lustig's utube video on "Sugar: The Bitter Truth". It scared me big time to give up a 64 year addiction to sugar. You also may think of getting your energy from fat rather than sugar. Good luck.

I haven't watched the video yet, but I did notice after a few weeks of cutting out refined carbs, I don't crave it anymore. And if I do, I'll eat a serving of peanut butter or one square of really dark chocolate. That always fixes me!

Had a bite of cake at my mom's birthday party, and it just tasted so toxicly fake. It was made by the best baker in our area, too. I would MUCH rather have an apple, handful of raspberries, or an ice cold beer.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I keep Hershey Kisses in the bottom drawer of my fridge.. they're out of site so I don't get tempted every time I go in the refigerator but I know they're there if I want my fix (I usually have 2-4 a day) they're nice and sweet, 22 calories a piece so I don't feel like I'm hurting myself by having my sweets. I'll try and suck on them and melt them in my mouth so I really get the best taste for the calories.. and it takes a lot longer to eat them that way so I feel content by having a lot less.

Maybe you can find a bite size candy you enjoy and try it out? Good luck!
  • SilverStormi
    SilverStormi Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I give into my craving when I have them but always in moderation. I have had the issue of when I dont then later on I end up overeating what ever it was I was craving. I find letting myself indulge that little every once in a while actually helps keep me in check.
  • Lkatinas
    Lkatinas Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'd start by eating all the fruit that you want because it has natural sugar that is healthy for you unlike chocolate, ice cream, breads, candy and all other sweets. Fruit has substantial nutritional value and will ease your cravings. I would eat as much fruit as you want, which will get you through the initial cravings- they will probably last about a week and a half to two weeks. Once the cravings subside, cut down as necessary to reach your goals :) hope his helps!! It works for me.
  • Mathguy1
    Mathguy1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    When a sugar craving hits, I usually keep busy by reading a book, working on a puzzle, or doing something to keep your mind occupied after eating dinner. If after an hour, the sugar craving persists, try a couple of tic tacs (or a different breath mint). They are very low in calories (I think around 1 1/2 per mint) and will curb the sugar craving. As your body gets used to eating less sweets, the cravings will become less frequent.
  • LooneyBruni
    LooneyBruni Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of sugar cravings constantly! I am usually tempted to eat cake/chocolate every week and I manage to include a piece in my diary without going over.
  • domez
    domez Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Congratulations vytamindi, looks like you have conquered your sugar addiction!!!:happy:
  • jlgregory13
    jlgregory13 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When i want something sweet i eat a fiber one chewy bar. They have the oats and chocolate, which is about 140 calories or the just chocolate one that is only 100. REally cuts my cravings w/o blowing my calories and it's actually relatively healthy for me.
  • ellyinflight
    Options
    Gonna second skinny cow ice cream, I have one almost every evening just to shut my sugar cravings up. Other things that work for me are caramel flavoured wholegrain rice cakes (only 33 calories a cake!), low fat muffins or cupcakes (usually only around 100 cal for one if you get the right recipe/mix) and drinking a big glass of diet soda (there are ones with natural sweeteners, you've just gotta look for em!). The fact that I can scoff down several of these without breaking the 200 calorie mark really helps when I feel like I just NEED to eat more than one sweet thing, and by the end you really don't want any more sugar.
  • victoriadw84
    victoriadw84 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is wonderful! Thank you so much everyone! I am glad to know I am not alone and I really dont want to ruin the progress I have made. I did great and there wasnt any feeling of wanting sugar and all of a sudden it just hit this weekend and I want the feeling to go away lol! Thank you so much again! I will take each suggestion with me and work through the cravings! :)