I Would REALLY Appreciate Input- Anti-depressant

Options
2»

Replies

• BamaRose0107
    Options
    I have been on many anti-depressants in the past. For me the side effects were worse than the depression itself. Know that each anti-depressant can work completely different from person to person. You may have no side effects at all or you could be like me. Lexapro made my depression far worse and I had to be watched very closely because I was having suicidal thoughts. I also gained 50 lbs with diet and exefcise. My suggestion would be to have someone close to you keep a watch an how you act and if there is any worsening in depression or mood call your doctor. I am not trying to scare you just wanting you to be aware of some of the severe side effects that are possible and may need immediate attention. Also if you are on any other medications make sure your doctor is aware and make sure there are no interactions. Anti-depressants don't mix well with some other medications.
  • zeala
    zeala Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Since it's related with your period, have you considered going on the pill? There is one which allows you to have 4 periods a year. I'd probably try that first before the other pills. Also if it's every two months, why are you taking a pill daily??
    I know that anti depressants have helped a lot of people, but I am still weary of them.
    Have there been any other more natural solutions at least discussed or tried out?
  • Mina133842
    Mina133842 Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I have also been on Celexa from time to time, and at a small dosage. I didn't notice anything at all at first, but what my doctor told me, was that at some point the "little things" stop bothering you, and I didn't notice any weight gain from that at all, or any other side effects. I also suggest journaling, sometimes that can help you keep track of what's going on, and days with ups and downs a little better - especially if you're not going to counseling, or anything like that.
  • president1
    Options
    I read a number of the posts before replying, because I too started out on a small dose of anti-depressants. What I found was almost everyone I knew was on them. I could'nt beleive it. Everytime I went into the doctors about getting off them, seriously he put the dose up. I too like one person mentioned was walking around like a Zombie. One day I just said to f with this and I threw them all away. Not recommened, because of withdrawl, but I knew I was done. I realized I had to deal with some underling issues and get in the real world. I did and will never go back. Get your b vitamins and cod liver oil.