People think I've lost weight but I've gained..

Options
Ok, so I'm experiencing a strange phenomenon...people have been asking me lately if I've lost weight. Now, I got down to 72kgs a couple of months back and have since put on a bit so I weigh 76kgs now. These are people I see on a regular to semi-regular basis so it's not like they're remembering me from when I weighed in at 92kgs a few years back. Are they just being polite? Or do they genuinely think I've lost weight? It's nice to be complimented but it's bizarre at the same time....
When I reply with "No, I've actually gained weight" they go "Really? You look slimmer" HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE?? Has anyone else experienced this? :huh:

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Are you weight training? Perhaps you are gaining weight, but it is distributing itself in a more flattering way?
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same spot, I'm still 3lbs heavier than when I started, but it's not just people looking at me it's the clothes too, I weigh more than when i "really" started on MFP but I'm in a 3 sizes smaller waist for pants. Being that guys are in even numbers at the "big box stores" it's 3 sizes anyway. Weigh more but clothes fit better? This fitness thing is working :)
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    i weigh more than my lowest weight by about 4 pounds, but my tightest "skinny" pants are falling off.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Same here. My mom is getting mad at me thinking I'm lying that I haven't lost weight. I lost about 10-15 and then stopped for a while, and in these past few weeks, she's like upset at me lol. I'm like I seriously haven't lost any more...
  • SandyMeid
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat! ( :
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I gained weight over the summer, but I also trained for a half marathon. A few people commented when I got back to my DD's school that I had lost weight. Nope-Just strengthened my legs--a lot!
  • fmbomzo
    fmbomzo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you're strength training, that can happen. You will lose body fat, become leaner and as a result appear more compact. I'm in a size 8 dress, but I weigh 30 lbs more than I did when I last wore that size. I started out with yoga and weight training, so I got leaner but didn't lose much weight from that. People kept asking how much I'd lost and I would say "not much".
  • HogSandwich
    HogSandwich Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I have this. no substantial weight loss, but my fingers (!) are thinner, and I'm not having to use bra extender clips anymore, so the diameter of my ribs is smaller.

Which is good and all, but...
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat! ( :

Not true ...... but muscle does take up less room than fat ...... perhaps things are shifting around ...... maybe your face looks thinner ...... and when people comment like that, just smile & keep them guessing !
  • ClareWantsProgress
    Options
    I get this quite a bit. A friend saw my engagement picture (when I weighed 127) and said, "Oh, you've lost SO much weight since then!" and I got the funniest look when I said, "Actually, I weigh almost 30 pounds more now than I did when that picture was taken." She didn't believe me. All I could do was shrug and say, "Well, that's the truth! Want me to get on the scale?"
  • kadmom23
    kadmom23 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Inches lost and muscle gained? Thats my guess!