Loose skin or fat - is it fixable? [pics]

Options
It's been about 6 and a half months since I had my daughter.
I've been on a calorie deficit, and going to the gym.
Just recently I've added in strength training.

I was wondering with more weight loss and toning ect, could I change the appearance of my stomach?
Or is this going to just be a bunch of loose skin?

Merr021.jpg

Merr023.jpg

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Genetics will determine some of it but if you concentrate on maintaining your lbm and heavy weight training, your stomach should shrink. Especially, since you are 20.

Ps- since you are a normal weight, you should be aiming for a small deficit (1/2 lb per week or 20% less than tdee)
  • marketdimlylit
    marketdimlylit Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Looks a little like both.
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Genetics will determine some of it but if you concentrate on maintaining your lbm and heavy weight training, your stomach should shrink. Especially, since you are 20.

Ps- since you are a normal weight, you should be aiming for a small deficit (1/2 lb per week or 20% less than tdee)

this.

also, if money is not an issue i do believe there is a surgical procedure to take away the loose skin
  • lindajwebb2
    lindajwebb2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi - you look in great shape for a young mum. I'd give it a year, continuing with what you are doing. There will be some natural shrinkage over that time, I think. Try using a body cream also, will help to keep the skin soft and supple. My daughter has just (2 weeks) had her 3rd baby - she definitely weighs far more than you and sadly, I think it will take her more time to get trim again, but she's also keen to start working hard. Hope this helps.
  • Debby0904
    Debby0904 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I gained 65 pounds with my daughter 19 years ago at the age of 26. Other than a bit of loose skin below my belly button and very light stretch marks I can say yes it does go but it needs to be worked at by eating clean and exercise. You'll be just fine!
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    You look great for having a child in the last year!! You are young- keep working outt, and I agree with the other poster, you should make sure you are not cutting caories too low. You body may take another 1-2 years to go back to 'normal' but you def do not have a ton of extra weight hanging around. You are doing amazing. keep working out and I have no doubt you will lose all the extra skin.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    It may shrink some but surgery might be a last resort to fix that. I'd give it a year or two before doing anything drastic though.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    If you work on some strength training that will help because it will build up muscle in areas where there was fat so you will look toned without as much loose skin. Also be sure to add at least a good multi vitamin. Be sure to drink plenty of water which is good for everything in your body, but especially your skin.

I have not personally tried them but there are some body moisturizers that contain caffeine and other things that are supposed to help your skin. My tanning salon always recommends them but the ones there are a little pricey for me.
  • mscoco10
    mscoco10 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I say give Jillian Michael 30 day shred a try. I will help shrink it all back tight.
  • JLD81
    JLD81 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Also, since you are young, your skin will recover better than if you were older. Be sure to give it time to see what it can do on its own (with your help) before jumping to go under the knife. Be patient!
  • xburiedmylove
    Options
    Wow I genuinely thought I looked in terrible shape for a young mom lol.
    Thanks everyone anyway, i'll definitely keep up with what I'm doing and add more toning exercises.

And i'm definitely trying to avoid the knife in every way possible.
    I just hate the way it hangs.. erg.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Are you kidding me? You're beautiful! :)

I've never had kids so I can't imagine what it's like but I used to be 375 pounds, so at 250 I'm definitely concerned about loose skin as well. I've heard strength training is literally the night and day difference for loose skin, but I'd be proud to look like you!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    This is due to losing too much weight too fast. You're not giving the body time to adapt. I took me over 2 years to lose 100lbs. In today's instant society (thanks biggest loser) that's too long. I was in a small deficit and I lifted heavy. That allowed me to lose weight at a steady NON-LINEAR pace.

I have next to no lose skin.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    It takes time, but it will tighten up, mine was like that. I still have some extra skin, but it's not bad as it was before.

someone posted this link on another forum.
    http://getfitguy.quickanddirtytips.com/how-to-tighten-loose-skin-after-weight-loss.aspx
  • Bmoremama
    Bmoremama Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    This is due to losing too much weight too fast. You're not giving the body time to adapt. I took me over 2 years to lose 100lbs. In today's instant society (thanks biggest loser) that's too long. I was in a small deficit and I lifted heavy. That allowed me to lose weight at a steady NON-LINEAR pace.

So after you had your baby you made sure to let your stomach go down in size at a steady non-linear pace, unlike this young mom who did it all wrong?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Skin is only paper thin, so you've got mostly fat there just dragging the saggy skin down with it. As fat loss increases it will tighten up nicely, especially given that you're so young.
  • ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The loose skin will tighten back up, it will never be like it was pre-baby, but it won't be sagging forever. Just give it time and lots of bicycle crunches. :D Use a good lotion and keep your skin hydrated, a lot of people swear by coco butter. Also stretch marks will take a long time to fade too, easily 2-3 years. Remember, you grew a new LIFE inside you and be proud of your battle scars!!!
  • DeeDel32
    DeeDel32 Posts: 542 Member
    Options

So after you had your baby you made sure to let your stomach go down in size at a steady non-linear pace, unlike this young mom who did it all wrong?

Thank you!
  • restoreleanne
    restoreleanne Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    After a baby it can take up to 2-3 year before your tummy looks like it did before.
  • rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    Options

i was just thinking the same thing ;)
    OP- you look great! i noticed a ton of results in my stomach area from doing heavy lifting (mostly squats. deadlifts, etc) and i cant wait to get back to it after baby #3 comes in march lol
    keep going and it should shrink down more :) dont give up!