Cardio ideas - bulging discs

Options
I found out recently I've got several bulging lumbar and cervical discs in my back, a couple of which are pressing on nerves. I've had 4 flare-ups in the last 6 months and although they've never been triggered during exercise (usually they happen when I'm doing something stupid like lifting my dog up on the bed or sleeping in an awkward position), I'm trying to figure out how I can make my cardio regime more lower-impact.

I'm in my mid-thirties and I've worked out my whole life, doing a variety of things including running, plyometrics, fast walking, high-impact dance/aerobic cardio, kickboxing and Turbofire. I'd consider myself to be at an advanced level of fitness. I've started doing yoga in the mornings, and I'm working on strengthening my core, and that definitely helps my back, but I need to sweat!!!

I've looked into buying an elliptical machine, but I have NEVER worked out on a "machine" and I'm afraid I wouldn't even break a sweat on it or that it would feel really unnatural.

Does anyone have any recommendations for low-impact, challenging cardio? I have never belonged to a gym - I do all my workouts at home or outdoors, so I'd prefer to keep it that way if possible.

P.S. I hate being wet/pruny and don't have access to a pool so I've already scratched swimming off the list ;-)

Replies

• mnlght535
    Options
    Too bad you can't do the swimming thing. Water aerobics is a great way to work up a sweat and definitely low impact. On the other hand, I have recently purchased an elliptical machine (Pro-Fit) and it is fabulous. You certainly sweat a lot. At least I do when I work out on it. So, if home workouts are what you want and you need something lower impact, that definitely could work and I really enjoy my elliptical. Good luck :)
  • take36
    Options
    Too bad you can't do the swimming thing. Water aerobics is a great way to work up a sweat and definitely low impact. On the other hand, I have recently purchased an elliptical machine (Pro-Fit) and it is fabulous. You certainly sweat a lot. At least I do when I work out on it. So, if home workouts are what you want and you need something lower impact, that definitely could work and I really enjoy my elliptical. Good luck :)

LOL Yeah, I don't know what it is with me and my aversion to water...one week out of the summer I'll hit the pool and do some water sports and that's more than enough for me ;-)

Glad to hear you like the elliptical. Given the fact that I like to work out at home, I think this might be a good option. I might look into getting a visitor pass to a local gym just to try it out a few times and see how it goes.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have a recumbent stationary bicycle that has a chair style seat with a backrest. Its very comfortable and I get great cardio results with it. I, too, have had back problems and recently had a bout with sciatica, which, thankfully, has passed. I also have a herniated disc in my lower back which, I believe, has been helped by the bike.
  • gracefulotus
    Options
    Try a recumbent bicycle. I use it in place of the normal gym bikes/spin cycles because I work at my desk all day studying and find my back muscles are too tired to then get on a bike and into that forward lean.

The elliptical is hard work, but I do find that increasing the tension on the machine can be hard on the muscles of the back and glutes, so, who knows what the implications are for disc issues. You're in a slight forward lean, so, you'll have to test out the machine and see how it feels.

Shame about the swimming.... I would encourage swimming because it is soo exhausting cardiovascularly (from my experience) of only doing perhaps 10 laps. I get so dizzy from the effort. I don't think I get pruny unless I'm in the water for more than maybe 30min.... and that's a really long time.
  • take36
    Options
    I have a recumbent stationary bicycle that has a chair style seat with a backrest. Its very comfortable and I get great cardio results with it. I, too, have had back problems and recently had a bout with sciatica, which, thankfully, has passed. I also have a herniated disc in my lower back which, I believe, has been helped by the bike.

I'd forgotten about the recumbent bikes. I've also heard they're good for the back and joints. Thanks for the tip!
  • take36
    Options

The elliptical is hard work, but I do find that increasing the tension on the machine can be hard on the muscles of the back and glutes, so, who knows what the implications are for disc issues. You're in a slight forward lean, so, you'll have to test out the machine and see how it feels.

You know, I even find that I get nerve irritation just from walking, particularly walking uphill, so I'm sure you're right that I'd have to be careful about increasing tension on the elliptical. Quite frustrating when you're body wants to go, go, go but your mind knows better!