trying to bounce back after several months of depression

Options
Hi everyone! I'm not new here exactly. I joined in Jan 2011 and had initial success (lost about 10lbs in 2 months) but hit a really discouraging plateau and stopped trying to track food on here. Then last Christmas I went through a huge personal crisis that turned my life upside down. I lost two very important relationships, moved out and started living alone for the first time, lost my job due to my depression, and on top of that struggled to keep my grades up in my masters program. After about 6 months of being really depressed and anxious (worst I have ever felt) I am finally feeling like myself again - thank you meds and therapy! The result of these last months has been a shocking weight gain of 30lbs. I am at my heaviest now, 209. And I desperately need to get back into the habit of tracking my food and exercising regularly. Will you be my friend and help motivate me in this journey? :)

Replies

• rainbowbykristen
    Options
    Of course! I'll friend request you :)
  • sharonnyc
    Options
    I will add you also. :) And congrats on coming back and asking for help---such great steps to moving forward on this journey!
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Welcome back. Depression does suck I know since I'm always mildly depressed. I have a couple friends from Arizona kinda too hot for my liking.
  • ivan1964
    Options
    Hello You can do anything you put your mind too. I hope you have a great day and feel free to add me if you wish. I have been through depression too back in the 2001 so I understand how you feel.
  • kathyc727
    kathyc727 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Trying to get back into it myself. Depression can hit you like a ton of bricks. Lost 18 pounds a few months ago & put back almost 30. Need all the help I can get, Friend me if you'd like.
  • msjmyates
    Options
    I am also struggling with Depression. My appearance, diabeaties and other life factors are contributing to my decreased desire to participate in life. I celebrated my 32nd birthday yesterday and with my birthday money i bought an outfit. The jeans i bought were a size 24. I delivered a 9lb9oz baby girl 12/2010 and a few days after i delivered her i bought a pair of jeans they were a size 20. Needless to say I am tired of being tired.
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting depression since God knows how many years. Its tiring really. I have everything I need to make a man happy. But the attack comes all of a sudden. I am surviving only on meds. I am sending u a friend request.
  • feast4thebeast
    feast4thebeast Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have recently fought through similar stuff. I wrote about it on my blog yesterday www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/tommybhoy83 feel free to add me
  • jxerickson
    Options
    I can understand a whole lot of what you are going through. I am battling with depression, a work injury and the pain along with it. I am a nurse and was injured by a very angry patient. It is to the point, that I have not been able to work since May, and now they are referring be to a surgeon. Up until now, I have been lounging at home, trying to not become a hermit, and have also gained over 30 pounds. I was at 235 when I was hospitalized for pneumonia and exhaustion. My blood pressure and sugar levels were found to also be concerning during my stay and at my follow up. This was my wake up call to get beck into the groove. I do not know about you, but sometimes after getting the workout done and logging in all of the great stuff I have chosen to eat, I feel good about myself. Sure the pain is still there and I battle that everyday. I am more than willing to be part of your support team through all of this. Please add me if you want.
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    keep yourself busy and love yourself, its not easy but you need to try
  • caseykm
    Options
    Wow, thanks for all the support! I know how common it is for depression and weight gain to go hand in hand. Glad I'm not the only one here who faces this extra challenge!
  • mrshoneydew
    Options
    I just saw this thread and I can relate (with depression effecting weight)!
    Sorry, but I'm about to dive into slight TMI mode here:
    I've always struggled with my weight, but I was managing it pretty well for a few years until last fall, I was going through a lot of stress at work. I don't have children, but I have been trying for years. My 4 year old cat's health suddenly deteriorated and no vet seemed to know what was wrong. She ended up passing away in my arms. It hit me really hard because as far as I'm concerned, she was my child. Then...I got a positive pregnancy test. My husband and I got all excited and started to plan right away. When I got a call from the doctor's office a few days after taking another test, they told me that test was "negative, have a nice day". My heart just broke. I didn't feel like going anywhere. I was comforted by all of the foods of the holidays and within just 3 months I gained around 30 pounds!

I knew that something had to be done. I got a gym membership asap!! After about a month, I found mfp, which has really helped me control my eating. It helps to see what I'm eating and burning off each day. I've only recently started using the forums and making friends here which is a whole other level of helpful.
    It's awesome that you have decided to get up and out to better yourself. I find that losing weight and exercising even enhances my mood which helps me with depression and anxiety. :)
    Good luck to you!
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Hi! Please feel free to add me as a friend... I also wanted to suggest that you check out The Mood Cure. That book helped me get back on track and I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone with depression, anxiety, mood swings, irritability - anything like that. It was by far the best $8 I ever spent!
  • manohirarevolutions
    Options
    Oh my God,

Your story is just exactly like me. I lost 22 lbs from feb to june, then i failed with my dissertation. thank God the uni allow me to stay and i can find a new topic to get my degree.
    at that same period of time I had a very very bad relationship with someone, he intimidate and look down on me trough our relationship. it ended with i failed in my dissertation.
    my mother was very upset with me, we start fight a lot then i moved out from home start to live alone by myself.

in my case, I cant lose weight when i'm in depression. I cant even think about my dissertation let alone exercising or logging what i eat.

first thing first, I deal w/ depression. meet my spv and talk about my dissertation, discuss our timeline, etc. done.
    second, get a part time job where i can still have time for my study. done.
    third, start using MFP, set on 1800 cal (85% of my tdee). My goal is just to make my body prepare for less amount of food. done.
    fourth. get a gym membership for aerobic class. I've loss 22 lbs w/ aerobic in the past. I really dont have time to think or plan abt my exercise. So just do whatever I have done successfully. Maybe later when am no longer in depression and my body ready for new exercise, I will start strength training, or C25k.

Hang on there girl, you are not alone :)
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I know exactly where you're coming from sweetheart - I suffer from depression periodically, and during it I always put on weight from not having have the energy to exercise, or to shop and cook healthily. I'll send you a friend request :flowerforyou:
  • jules26665
    jules26665 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel I was in a dreadful marriage for 25 years which I should have ended years ago but didnt, the things we do for our children! I put on six stone plus. Two years ago I got the courage to leave having been on anti depressents on and off for 20 years. I have lost 17 pounds since then with five stone plus to go. Feel free to add me as a friend anyone always up for a chat xx:smile:
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with weight control all my life - having had some initial success ( 2 stone off) in the first month I have stuck at 110K (240lbs) for a few weeks.
    I also did the "let's worry myself into an early retirement" a few years ago and the doctor put me on Prozac - after a year I got fed up of not knowing if I felt content because of something I swallowed - so I stopped taking them.
    - and discovered that the reason why I was content was because I was content. (I realise this wasn't a very sensible thing to have done without medical advice and might not work for everyone, but I wouldn't have known otherwise)

So, having walked some of your journey - if I can help, let me know. I shall not presume to impose a "(be)friend" on you but would be happy to accept should you choose.