Confused muscles? Lol

Options
After biceps/back/traps day, other muscles such as the ones under my arms and the ones near my chest are sore alongside my back and biceps muscles.. am I doing the exercises wrong or are these muscles somehow connected to my lats or something?

Replies

• Culley34
    Options
    You could be doing something wrong, but I doubt it.

This is typically experienced if you're using free weights -- since you need to stabilize your other muscles just to perform the exercise. I remember that after I would do bi's and back, my abs would be on fire the next day since I would use a swiss ball instead of a bench. Not to sound snobby, but if you're new to weightlifting -- give it a few months before you try it.

If you're using the machines -- maybe ask someone to watch you while you're doing the exercise to make sure you performing it correctly.
  • RKAY89
    Options
    Thanks very much, that's what I thought it was - the stabilising muscles.. Yeah I use free weights in my house just, been doin it a good few years but stopped for a year cuz of injury and just got back to it a couple weeks ago.. I use a mirror constantly to ensure my form is correct.. was just worried I was doin somethin wrong.. the main exercise that I do for my lats where I feel it pulling my chest is "lat pulls" where I lie on a bench with dumbells raised out horizontal as far behind me as poss and then pull them back up til they're hovering above my stomach (I'm getting a pull-up bar asap lol).. so I was worried that I was doing that wrong especially..
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What lifts are you doing? Could be secondary muscles, but from what you said, it sounds like your tris are sore, but they aren't usually hit much during back lifts (back lifts are usually pulls, which hit the bis... pushes hit the tris).
  • RKAY89
    Options
    I don't mean under my arms as in my tris, I mean as in my, for lack of better definition, arm pits.. as well as the side (and bottom) of my "pecs".. I do bicep curls, hammer curls, 21s, lat pulls (where I get the most effect on my chest), upright rows, shrugs
  • RKAY89
    Options
    Oh and bent-over rows, and one-arm bent over rows
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I don't do weights but muscles are my field. Doesn't sound like your doom anything wrong to me, from the exercise you described I would expect some soreness in you teres major and minor and perhaps pec minor ( I'm bad with visualisations and would have to actually see the exercise) which basically make up the borders of your axilla (arm pit)

*sorry that's probably not helpful at all. I don't understand any weightlifting terms, it's all different terminology for the movements. I just understand muscles :p
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much, that's what I thought it was - the stabilising muscles.. Yeah I use free weights in my house just, been doin it a good few years but stopped for a year cuz of injury and just got back to it a couple weeks ago.. I use a mirror constantly to ensure my form is correct.. was just worried I was doin somethin wrong.. the main exercise that I do for my lats where I feel it pulling my chest is "lat pulls" where I lie on a bench with dumbells raised out horizontal as far behind me as poss and then pull them back up til they're hovering above my stomach (I'm getting a pull-up bar asap lol).. so I was worried that I was doing that wrong especially..

You sure you not doing pec flys? bench flys? I don't see how what your doing is engaging your lats doing that motion as I'm imagining it in my head?

Or are you doing dumbell pull overs? where you pull it over your head while lying down and arc it over your almost like a hatchet motion. That also works the chest primary but back secondary.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    As I said primary and secondary not really familiar terms but think its referring to the synergist, which can vary depending on the movement
    You said your feeling it in your chest when your working biceps.
    Pectorals major is a synergistic of biceps brachi when doing bicep curls etc.. as they are both responsible for flexion so you should definately feel it in your chest.
  • RKAY89
    Options
    You can view it here (best exercise database ever) http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/bent-arm-barbell-pullover and I've just seen the info I need haha DUH it says Main Muscle Worked: Lats..... Other Muscles: Chest, Lats, Shoulders, Triceps... Hmm, need to figure out a different exercise while I wait for my pull-up bar as all the equipment I have is just dumbbells and barbells... any suggestions? thanks guys :)
  • RKAY89
    Options
    At least I know I'm doin it "right" haha go me :P
  • Plentiful_Tentacles
    Options
    You could to T Bar rows and deadlifts. That's all I can personally think of with just a barbell.