Disney World Half Marathon

Options
2»

Replies

• Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is awesome! I'm doing the KC half on October 20th but didn't realize that Disney had runs. I think I know a 4 year old who is going to be super excited.
  • amselby81
    amselby81 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I want to do a Disney marathon! I really wish it were closer. Traveling to Disney is not so easy. I think we're going next November, but we're going with family and we have to all agree on dates. If I can't make it to the Wine and Dine in 2013, I'll shoot for "someday."
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    OK, I registered. Yikes! I think I'm going to follow the Galloway training program.

Would anyone be interested in having a group for Disney races so we can check in, share experiences and talk about training? I could also just start a folder in the long distance runner's group.

ETA: I just checked and there already are a few runDisney groups -- the Marathon Weekend group hasn't been active for awhile but maybe we can revive it . . .
  • bobbibull
    Options
    It would be nice to have a Disney group...support is always helpful:smile:
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

Cool! I won't be able to do it this week but I will set something up in the next couple of weeks and send out invites. There are several Disney related groups but it might be nice to have a centralized racing group.
  • irishdancer23
    irishdancer23 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    a group would be awesome! i'll for sure join! :)
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options

This would be awesome...I was following the training program on the runDisney website and have already fallen off because of weather preventing me from going running outside. :/ I might bite the bullet and buy a treadmill, by the time I get to week 15 in the training programming it will around Christmas and I hate the cold!!
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I'm in send me the invite :) I'm following a.k.a. Trying to follow the run Disney goofy plan.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options

This would be awesome...I was following the training program on the runDisney website and have already fallen off because of weather preventing me from going running outside. :/ I might bite the bullet and buy a treadmill, by the time I get to week 15 in the training programming it will around Christmas and I hate the cold!!

I got a treadmill on Craigslist for $80! Works like new and everything! I'm a TOTAL fair weather runner... and even in nice weather I can find excuses. But with a treadmill... you have no more excuses. lol So I'm all set once the snow and cold hit for my teen and 20+ milers coming up in Nov/Dec! I'm doing the Goofy training plan... so far so good! Here's hoping I don't die! LOL
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Wow, these sound really fun! I'm definitely going to look into them more.
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I did the Princess Half this year and had a great time! Honestly nothing beats getting onto Main Street and seeing the castle in front of you and then running through it... alongside tons of people dressed up in tutus, crowns, and whatever else their costumes consist of. I myself was Ariel (you can see in my pics), but i have to say the highlight was seeing the guys running in costumes.. One ran by me in a full length crushed velvet dress and long Rapunzel wig. I was doing this to set a new PR as it was my second Half, and told myself that I'd only stop for a pic with Ariel, but she wasn't on the course so no stopping for me.. However if I do it again I'd take advantage of the photo ops (tons along the course)..
    Just a few FYI things: you have to be up at the crack of dawn, so be prepared for an early night beforehand. Also, we stayed off the property as we have a timeshare, and had little problems getting in and out of the parking lots outside of the expected traffic.. I spoke to people at the start and later on in the day who took the free transport to and from the Disney hotels and they didn't fare as well. I heard there was so much traffic that buses we dead stopped, and the people I spoke to almost missed their corral start (they were in A). They had to run to just make it there. Also, as we were leaving, I could see the lines for the buses and they were very long, and these same women said it took them over 2 hours to get back to their hotel.. Just some things to consider. Those aside, the race itself is great, plenty of bathrooms along the way, and the entertainment and fans def make it one that I'd love to do again!
    Good luck to all!!
  • blueboxblues
    blueboxblues Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I got a treadmill on Craigslist for $80! Works like new and everything! I'm a TOTAL fair weather runner... and even in nice weather I can find excuses. But with a treadmill... you have no more excuses. lol So I'm all set once the snow and cold hit for my teen and 20+ milers coming up in Nov/Dec! I'm doing the Goofy training plan... so far so good! Here's hoping I don't die! LOL

Aweseome!! I am totally the same way with excuses, but I think I've finally convinced the husband that we ought to invest in a treadmill. I've been checking Craigslist and FreeCycle and haven't had luck so far...I think we're going to wait for the next sale at Sears and finally purchasing one.
  • sweetmisery474
    sweetmisery474 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I signed up for the 5k in January 2013, and also for the 5k and Princess 1/2 in February 2013.
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm running the 2013 Princess! I've been running 5K's for a couple of years and tackled my first 10K this summer. I've had the Princess on my 'someday' list for a couple of years and just went for it and signed up the day registration opened! My registration money is spent and I started saving for the trip. No backing out now! Training officially starts next month, but I've been "training" for the last few weeks.

A Disney group will be great, especially for those of us who live somewhere other than the south (Michigan here) and will be facing a lot of training runs in the winter! I'm going to need motivation to bundle up and hit the road when the snow is flying.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this existed, and now I am forever jealous of living so far from Disneys.
  • misha5555
    misha5555 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm doing the Princess half in Feb, solo. I've done the Tinkerbell half which was my first race and was a lot of fun! For 2013, hoping to do Disneyland half (local for me, as I'm near Anaheim) to get that Coast to Coast!

Please keep in the loop if a group forms for a meet up at the race :)
    Happy running!