Bananas and tummy aches!

Options
I have always loved bananas but I have noticed the past three times i've eaten them I get a nasty stomachache for about three hours afterwards. I was just wondering if anyone knew why this might happen or what could be the cause of this?

Replies

• rogerbosch
    rogerbosch Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Are they ripe enough? Unripe bananas have a lot of starch which causes stomach ache.
  • nmwhitney12
    nmwhitney12 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    No they were not unripe :/ the skin was starting to brown a little.
  • favhrnstr
    Options
    I actually had this issue for years and eventually just stopped eating bananas. I've started back up again after at least 5 years and don't seem to be having a problem (yet). I still don't know what the reason is for this, but know that other people have had this too!
  • nmwhitney12
    Options
    That is so weird :/ I guess I better shy away but they are my go to breakfast :(
  • buckeye86
    buckeye86 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Me too!!! I love them and still eat them occasionally when I know I don't have anything important to do the rest of the day. I've been trying to figure out the same thing. And mine are definitely ripe- I don't like the taste if there's any green on them at all.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Yes, they tie my guts into knots.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My friend has this happen, she then started having it happen with other sugary foods. Her doc said it was something like an intolerance to certain sugars.
    In fact, she can only eat barely ripe bananas. She probably shouldn't have them at all, but I guess she loves them enough that she will eat a green one.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    I have always loved bananas but I have noticed the past three times i've eaten them I get a nasty stomachache for about three hours afterwards. I was just wondering if anyone knew why this might happen or what could be the cause of this?

Here's some info that might help:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/544171-why-do-bananas-cause-a-stomach-ache/
  • nmwhitney12
    Options
    It could be anything. I know that I developed an allergy to Tylenol (it closes my throat :/ ) After 21 years of taking it so. I've just never heard of anyone being allergic to banana's but those stomach pains are hell!
  • Zombriana
    Zombriana Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    The same thing happens to me. It started happening about 3 years ago. :(

I get the same feeling when I eat dates as well. I figured this out by eating Lara bars, whose main ingredient is Dates.

I tried to research it, but so far all I could find was that its the protein in bananas, (Chitinase) is detected in people like us's bodies as 'dangerous' so it attacks it.
    OR it could be the serotinin in the bananas?

Here, let me link you some stuff. It's super hard to explain, and super sad. Because.. Bananas are DELICIOUS!!

http://www.homeopathyandmore.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3648

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Allergy/allergy-or-intolerence-to-bananas/show/639168
  • nmwhitney12
    Options
    Thanks ! It is super sad though :( I love bananas :/
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options

I get the same feeling when I eat dates as well.

Yikes, I hope I never ask you out.
  • Zombriana
    Options
    I know the feeling, honey.
    I just try to enjoy banana flavored things! Like banana pancakes, or banana bread/muffins, banana flavored coffee....

Eating them cooked doesnt seem to bother my tummy, so maybe try that out?
  • Zombriana
    Options

I get the same feeling when I eat dates as well.

Yikes, I hope I never ask you out.

:laugh: :laugh:
    I'm like a black widow. ;)
  • nmwhitney12
    Options
    I'll try cooking them like you suggest :) Thanks for the input!
  • Zombriana
    Options
    I'll try cooking them like you suggest :) Thanks for the input!

Don't beat me up if it doesn't work! Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience with fresh pineapple. I've always eaten it, but the last three times I ate it, I got the worst pains in my stomach. It happens about 45 minutes after I eat it, so it took me a couple times to figure out what was causing it. I kind of figured maybe I had an ulcer and pineapple, being acidic was irritating it. But I don't really have any other ulcer symptoms. Bananas are bland, so that can't be it. But it sounds kind of like the same thing I've been experiencing. Maybe just a food allergy?
  • Emalyn
    Options
    Wow, I've had the same problem within this year...so odd. The pains were so bad that they actually made me throw up...needless to say I don't go near them now, but I still love them!
  • nmwhitney12
    Options
    It is really weird. I guess over time bodies can develop allergies to certain things or become unable to digest or handle certain things. I've developed a couple of allergies before so that is why my mind went straight to this. However after reading about it there could be a number of things that is happening. All I know is I am steering clear of bananas!
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options

Weird this happens to me too