change my mind on mexican situation.

Options
Ok. I already posted something about how I am going out to lunch tomorrow with some friends for mexican to an awesome place. And i said that I was going to still try to do good and blah blah blah and I was really stressing over it. But ya know what. I'm not going to worry about it. I mean don't get me wrong. I'm not going to go crazy and eat the place out of business, but I'm just not going to anaylize everything I put in my mouth. I will still make healthier decisions. Diet coke and water, no sour cream. But I have.t eaten bad since last weekend. And I will do better for breakfast and dinner tomorrow but lunch. Im going to enjoy. I'll even just eat half of the meal and eat the other half for dinner! And I am or was concerned about the chips and salsa.. but I'm going to eat it and ENJOY it.

SO there it is.

Replies

• MotorCityHippie
    Options
    Girl, I can dig that You have to allow yourself little indulgences or the instinct is to completely overdo it. and chips and salsa, and half a Mexican lunch are definitely "little indulgences." Good call on the sour cream. Enjoy!!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Girl, I can dig that You have to allow yourself little indulgences or the instinct is to completely overdo it. and chips and salsa, and half a Mexican lunch are definitely "little indulgences." Good call on the sour cream. Enjoy!!

Do you think that will put me back anything? I had a bad weekend last weekend but I've done really well this week. And im planning on starting to work out next week.
  • gmaddox
    gmaddox Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Eat up! Have a good time. Remember, if you deny yourself all the time, you are more likely to "fall off the diet wagon". However, if you treat yourself every now and then, it is easier to stay committed. What I do when I have a "treat day" coming up is be extra careful each day until the "treat day". It gives me something to look forward to and I can still eat and feel good about myself. Plus, who wants a salad when everyone else is having enchiladas. Enjoy!
  • ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    you might want to rethink the diet coke. there are a lot of research studies that have been completed proving that diet drinks in general actually make you crave sweets even more. artificial sweetners especially. you are better off that if you have to drink a pop to just drink a plain ole coke. if you google it you can find a lot of credible research.

but enjoy your meal!!!!! n im like you i would soooo not skip the chips and salsa! have fun. :)
  • LETIN1
    LETIN1 Posts: 38
    Options
    I went out last night with my husband to Bahamas Breeze and I enjoyed my dinner. I made healthy choices. For ex. grilled chicken kabobs with plenty veggies and yellow rice. It was a huge a plate but I ate half and I am saving the rest for today. I drank a diet coke and ate very slowly. The key is talking. That will distract you from eating alot. I even had a piece of entemann's raspberry danish.

But I did make it a point to exercise on the treadmill at least 20 min.

I didn't feel guilty. So you shouldn't either.
    Have fun!:smile:
  • PanicAtTheBuffet
    Options
    you might want to rethink the diet coke. there are a lot of research studies that have been completed proving that diet drinks in general actually make you crave sweets even more. artificial sweetners especially. you are better off that if you have to drink a pop to just drink a plain ole coke. if you google it you can find a lot of credible research.

but enjoy your meal!!!!! n im like you i would soooo not skip the chips and salsa! have fun. :)

I would skip the diet coke also, and have a Corona light!! :wink:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I like diet to much. And I know its bad everyone tells me that lol. But I dont ever crrave sweets or anything. Luckily im not really into sweets to begin with. But Does anyone have any healthier ideas of what i could get? usually I get 1 hard taco and then 2 enchiladas with the rice. Its the meal. Is there something better I should get? HELP
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options

agree with this statement above. The sugary taste makes your body think your gettin sugar (i.e. energy) but never gets it from the coke. Then your body craves the sugar from other sources - making you go for that nice desert! :P

again - look it up... see what credible research is out there...

and enjoy the mexican! one day won't set you back... each day =14% roughly of your week..
  • burner
    burner Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    sorry - you beat me to the post...

agree with the corona! :drinker:
  • jaxterbom
    Options
    I used to think Mexican food wasn't too bad, but once I was eating at a Mexican Restaruant, and the cook walked by carrying a 5-Gallon bucket marked "LARD" in huge black letters. I think Mex food is OK once in a while. Hard to figure the calories though!

:glasses:
    Hank

223140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • LETIN1
    LETIN1 Posts: 38
    Options
    Try going to the restaurant's website. Many of the restaurants have a nutrition guide for their entrees on the web.
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Options
    I just tried and they didnt have anything. Dman
  • bambi5014
    Options
    I <3 it! We all deserve little splurges once in a while. I think you are right. Don't over-analyze and just eat half or a 1/3 of what you normally would eat. Its all about portion-control and moderation. And while the chips might be bad, salsa is all veggies, so try putting more salsa on each chip, that way you will end up filling up on the good stuff, rather than the greasy chips. That's my theory anyway. Enjoy!!

(OR you could sneak your 1 cup measuring cup in your purse like I do and just eat what fits in there. But I know, I know... then your friends will think you have really lost it!) LOL

Either way, hope you have a great lunch and wonderful weekend!
  • workingitout
    workingitout Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My guess would be that eating fajitas without tortillas, or the "mixed grill" without tortillas might be pretty healthy. Definitely delicious! Also I heard that tortilla soup isn't too unhealthy. We recently went out for Mexican food and I got the bowl of tortilla soup. It was so yummy - full of chicken pieces and avocadeo, etc. Ate a few chips with salsa and I felt very satisfied and also felt healthier than my husband, who ate the enchiladas covered with cheese sauce! Enjoy your delicious treat meal!
  • cacharra
    Options
    Yeap, A Corona Light 12 oz =. 99 cal or a Coronita 7 oz = 58 cal. That will make you feel full too! :happy: I mean..no that I want to sabotage the diet, but for me a lunch or dinner out w/o any beer or wine is just not fun at all. Otherwise, If you want to be on the safe side, just order A Glass of Water with Half Green Lime on the side, You squeeze the Lime in the water and zip it as a healthy refreshment with no sweetner at all or with some if you prefer! I do that too.... The idea is to have fun girl..There is always tomorrow to exersice 2 or 3 hrs straight and have fun too!
  • rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    I used to think Mexican food wasn't too bad, but once I was eating at a Mexican Restaruant, and the cook walked by carrying a 5-Gallon bucket marked "LARD" in huge black letters. I think Mex food is OK once in a while. Hard to figure the calories though!

:glasses:
    Hank

223140.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

i think it just all depends where you have it from just like with most things.

I make stuff at home and it is alot healthier then going out.
  • jweyand
    jweyand Posts: 13
    Options
    ask for black beans vegetarian style, that way they won't cook it in all that animal fat they tend to use. Be picky with them, it's your diet and your health. :) don't be afraid to be high maintenance lol (I learned that from Biggest Loser)

sauces on the side
    black beans veggie style
    fajitas are a good choice
    soft tacos are good
    fish tacos if it's grilled fish is a great choice.

otherwise just enjoy yourself and allow yourself the chili relleno or enchilada. It's not going to set you back at all.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I like fajitas, but to avoid the temptation of the tortillas/cheese, etc. i like to get a salad with veg or chicken fajitas on top - most places do it and i leave off the beans/cheese/sour cream and use salsa and a dab of guacamole as dressing. Sounds like it wouldn't be good but you get a lot of flavor from the char and juices of the fajitas and the salsa makes it nice and wet and it's actually quite hearty and delish.

A shrimp dish is also a decent option since they usually cook in tomatoes and onions etc. but again, you might want to get veggies or salad in place of the rice that it usually sits upon.

I hope you enjoy your meal - and maybe you'll even find the strength to make some good choices and enjoy it fairly guilt free!