I WANT FLAWLESS SKIN

Options
alleycat88
alleycat88 Posts: 756 Member
Seriously I'm about to be 24, and some days I wake up and feel like I'm 14 with fullblown acne. I have taken tetracyclin several times. Special soaps, toners, creams, you name it, I've tried it. Short of accutane I have no idea what to do.

Anybody else that struggles with pimples as grown ups? It's become a joke for me that maybe one day, I too will grow up and puberty will be a thing of the past. I laugh and make jokes, but it seriously sucks. Not to mention my bacne :embarassed: :frown:

Replies

• bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Why are you saying no to accutane?

Also, have you ever had your hormone levels checked? A major part of my acne was just that I was kinda hairy due to hormones, and getting electrolysis on the hairs blocking my pores had a huge effect on the acne. That said, the process isn't fun, and it takes multiple appointments over a long period of time. But don't do laser because when it goes wrong, it goes wrong in ways that make you wish you had your acne back instead.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    Liz Earle Skincare -seriously saved my skin! that and drinking water by the bathful ... no kidding ! :smile:
  • alleycat88
    Options
    Not saying no to it.. have an appt. november 12th with my dermatologist to possibly take that as the next step.

Sho - I drink water all day, every day.. but might try the liz earle line. :smile:
  • JamieAlexandraX
    JamieAlexandraX Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I suffer with them also, i never used to them all of a sudden bam there they were.
    Iv seen a lot of commercials about that proactive stuff, i have no idea if its any good but i was looking into buying some to see if it helps.
  • Thinsposa
    Thinsposa Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    DON'T use Accutane! I did for nearly a year, while I have fantastic skin now, I feel as though I'm still paying the price for it, with lingering side effects.
    Coconut oil! Consume at least a tablespoon a day and your skin and hair will thank you for it. And I am aware that it may not be diet related, eating well, drinking lots of water, and exercise will all help to clear it up. All the best :)
  • alleycat88
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but what side effects have you noticed the most? I had one dermatologist that was very hesitant about putting me on accutane so I have withheld from it because he kinda scared me off it.
  • ashleen7
    ashleen7 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a contraceptive pill? I had terrible hormonal acne after having my daughter so my doc put me on Dianette and I've never looked back.
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use a clarasonic and take doxycycline, my skin has never looked better
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I so know how you feel. I'm 29, I shouldn't have to look and feel like a teenager anymore!
    I also use Liz Earle, which is great, but at the moment I'm taking Doxycycline, Dianette Contraceptive and Retin-A topical gel (Tretinoin). The Retin-A is especially good as it's designed for adult skin. I used a different antibiotic to start, but eventually my skin just got used to it and so switched to another. The Dianette has been one of the only consistent things that's made a difference. My skin is still far from perfect, but the Dr told me it might never be perfect, and it's just one of those things I have to learn to deal with :noway:
  • GuineaMother
    GuineaMother Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I hope you don't mind me asking, but what side effects have you noticed the most? I had one dermatologist that was very hesitant about putting me on accutane so I have withheld from it because he kinda scared me off it.
    I would strongly suggest trying everything other people have suggested first. Accutane should be a last resort, because of the link with severe depression. A friend of a friend committed suicide while on it and his family and friends still maintain it was because of that, he was a happy guy beforehand. do your research and make your decision carefully.
  • alleycat88
    Options
    Have you tried a contraceptive pill? I had terrible hormonal acne after having my daughter so my doc put me on Dianette and I've never looked back.

Yep. Contraceptive was one of the firstthings my doc tried because I used to have horrible cramps as well. It's not horrible all the time, but there is always SOME and then it flares up around my TOM. you know.. hormones. lol

Guinea, I am running out of things to try honestly. After 10 years of this, I'm getting tired, and am really not wanting to try Accutane. I use retin-A on my back and that has helped, but when I use it on my face I feel it makes some areas dry. damn combination skin. Definitely gonna try Liz Earle since both you and Sho have recommended it :) thank you!
  • LittleNicci
    LittleNicci Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Not only the link with severe depression, DO NOT get pregnant, horrible birth defects, they show pictures on the packaging. Im a pharmacy tech, have been for nearly a decade now, going back to school to become a Pharmacist. Accutane should be the last last absolute last resort. Coconut oil is great. If you have to use a prescription Retin-A or Tretinoin is good (you can spot treat with that too) If Tetracycline hasnt been good have you tried other "cyclines" like Doxycycline?
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm 67 years old and still have this!
  • flagator11
    flagator11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My doctor has told me that I will never get rid of the acne because it's genetic. My grandmother dealt with it all her life. I started with Retin-A to get it under control, and my dermatologist recommended Purpose soap, made by Johnson & Johnson. I still get breakouts every few weeks, but for the most part stay clear now. I asked about Accutane, and the doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference for me, but they prefer using that as a last resort. Is Accutane even available in the US? I thought lawsuits had taken it off the market here.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Best thing I've ever found for Acne is Zapzit. You can buy it at Walmart or Walgreens.

It's a gel that you apply, and the active ingredient is 10% benzoil peroxide.

I use it every time I have a flare up and it always gets rid of it quickly.
  • MouseFood
    MouseFood Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I get them now and then still adn I'm 30. Mine have never been super bad but I still hate it.

General good health and drinking lots of water and exercising helps.

I'm more concerned about my acne scars tbh :(
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Discuss this with a dermatologist.
  • magnolia_ah
    magnolia_ah Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    my skin is oily so i have acne too ..i need help ... i want acnefree forever
  • MLgarcia3
    Options
    I had them bad until I was 24.. I found that washing my face too much was the problem. I now only wash it with a gentle cleanser at night to remove makeup and only use water in the morning. I also use an apricot scrub once a day in the shower.
    Water, good diet, and exercise definitely help too!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I had 2 rounds of Accutane, each double the normal length of time. 2 years, in total.
    I was also on diane (the contraceptive pill that helps with acne) for 8 years, be careful though. that little pill gave my hypertension, made me very suicidal with anxiety attacks every day.
    It has also been banned in many countries now I have heard because of risk of blood clots and breast cancer.