Fat people stereotypes?

Options
I'm sure you've all heard some! Some are super offensive, like the stereotype that fat people smell bad. Um hello?! I still shower! Some aren't so bad though, like the stereotype that fat people have better personalities. We can't rely on good looks, we have to actually develop a personality and be a fun/nice person to be around! What stereotypes have you guys heard, and do you dislike them or find them to be pretty accurate?

Replies

• taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Stereotypes are bad... mmkay?
  • Sylkwyrm
    Sylkwyrm Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    "the stereotype that fat people have better personalities. We can't rely on good looks, we have to actually develop a personality and be a fun/nice person to be around!"

As with all stereo types, this is not always true.
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    yea like cartman said "im not fat! i'm big boned"
  • meghanp92
    Options
    Haha I'm definitely not saying any of these are going to be true even most of the time! And I too have met plenty of big people with terrible personalities!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    fat people eat a lot - i fit that one, but then again i also ate a lot at my goal weight

fat people are lazy/don't exercise - this one bugs me the most mainly because i'm a former athlete and i've always kept working out even as i gained weight. of course i wasnt working out hours a day like i used to, but i still knew my way around a gym and weights and stuff. i always hated that whenever i joined a new gym i'd have to sit through the "this is how a gym works" speech

fat girls can't get dates - at my heaviest i noticed that some of my acquaintances (not friends mind you) were really resentful about the type of guys who'd approach me and ask me out because these were guys they'd want for themselves. the funny thing is that these girls would also make comments about how those guys only wanted sex even though that wasnt the case

fat girls can't walk in heels - ok i can't walk in anything over 2.5 inches but one of the largest women i knew would rock the hell out of some 4-5 inch heels and not feel any pain.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Hm. I guess that's why I'm such a b*tch.
  • valerieknox
    valerieknox Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I really hate these kind of stereotypes. I also notice them in myself. I don't agree with them intellectually, but they do pop up whenever I see a person who's obese and I'm having a ****ty day. It makes me feel better to look down on someone else who's worse off than me. And I do understand how harmful these stereotypes are! :(
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    The best one I heard was fat people are stupid, I guess the good grades and diploma in college I got amount to nothing then. The personality one gets on my nerves, people expect you to be bubbly and all happy. Hell no, I don't try and overcompensate for my weight by being all in your face and jolly, I win people over with my actual personality. People of all shapes and sizes can be anything they want personality wise. You don't see people looking at uber skinny people and going "she's so bubbly".

The other one is fat people eat nothing but junk food, like we can afford to eat take out burgers and pizza and all that every night. I prefer my salads and home cooked meals thank you very much.
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    the one that irritates me is that fat people are all over eaters - I got heavy after 1 - having 14 surgeries in 17 years - thats a lot of recovery time doing not much - 2 - not eating enough and when I did eat I ate crap and 3 - not moving - long commutes and a desk job with way way way too much time sitting at the computer all night

the biggest thing that annoys me about being heavy is the lack of cute clothes and lingerie - size 0-6 22 racks of tops - size 1-3x - 1 rack of tops - just because Im a 44D doesnt mean I dont want cute bras & panties - or being a 3x means I dont like lace edging or colours other than black & white
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    "Funny fat girl" is thrown around a lot. Which is alright. Because I am f*cking hilarious.

But then there's the stereotype that fat people are 'jolly' or 'kind'. I am neither.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    the one that irritates me is that fat people are all over eaters - I got heavy after 1 - having 14 surgeries in 17 years - thats a lot of recovery time doing not much - 2 - not eating enough and when I did eat I ate crap and 3 - not moving - long commutes and a desk job with way way way too much time sitting at the computer all night

the biggest thing that annoys me about being heavy is the lack of cute clothes and lingerie - size 0-6 22 racks of tops - size 1-3x - 1 rack of tops - just because Im a 44D doesnt mean I dont want cute bras & panties - or being a 3x means I dont like lace edging or colours other than black & white

Oh yeah! This is me! I packed on the pounds after a few years of constant prednisone treatments and IV steroids for treatment of MS. My husbands step mother said once that she knew why my husband was so skinny...it was because I ate all the food and he didn't get any. :mad: You should see her now! She's twice as big as I ever was. I told my husband maybe I should tell her to stop eating so much and leave something for her husband.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am 300+ Pounds, I do NOT waddle like a penguin. I do not STINK, unless I sweat excessively and DO NOT shower. I am not weak. I can run fast (just not long lol) and I think that is all I got for now.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    "Funny fat girl" is thrown around a lot. Which is alright. Because I am f*cking hilarious.

But then there's the stereotype that fat people are 'jolly' or 'kind'. I am neither.

I was a miserable cranky B**** before I lost weight. Mostly because I wasn't happy with myself. My husband says he's never seen me this happy or this healthy. Even when we first married and I was a stick I wasn't this happy. I tell him going through a life altering illness and then coming through it healthier than you were before being diagnosed helps. I've learned to appreciate the little things. As my kids say "don't sweat the small stuff, and don't pet the sweaty stuff." :laugh:
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Why post a topic that can only be meant to perpetuate stereotypes and upset people?
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Fat people are loud breathers.

...I may have just made that one up.
  • embercakez
    Options
    Fat people are loud breathers.

...I may have just made that one up.

no a lot of them actually are.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    All of this
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Stereotypes of are dumb. Especially about the one where those who like big butts can not lie. SMDH....Those *kitten* lie all the time
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Coming back to this because I just remembered an interesting one; Fat girls give good head.

My guy friends SWEAR by this stereotype.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Why post a topic that can only be meant to perpetuate stereotypes and upset people?

For the lulz? O.o