Lost weight but somehow NOT feeling healthy!

Options
I put this topic in place because something's really been bothering me.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes in January, and I've taken that VERY seriously since then. My weight has dropped to 141 pounds, from 192 just two years ago. 40 of those pounds have come off within the last 6 1/2 months. I have watched my carbs and sodium like a hawk, reading labels, checking on things here (wish they had iCantina's Gaucho Steak Sandwich I had last night. No info on their site, but the sandwich wasn't a big Subway-sized sandwich). I've cut soda out of the picture, I've cut WAY back on the sweets, drink nothing but water (and LOTS OF IT), and I'm exercising a lot more than ever.

I figured losing weight would mean LESS health problems. Lately, though, it seems I've got MORE problems. I wake up at exactly 3am every morning with an elevated heartrate. I'm having trouble sleeping at night and can at times have trouble staying awake throughout the day. My body tends to feel weak during the day, too.

I've told this to my doctor, but I can't understand what's going on with me. I'm 37 years old, and perhaps my body is undergoing changes, but this situation is really making me angry and scared. I know I can NEVER go back to my old habits because that would only worsen things before I got the diagnosis.

Can someone please tell me why this is happening to me?:cry:

Replies

• jak1958
    jak1958 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing similiar problems with sleep (waking up frequently during the night). I've researched and found a couple of things -cortisol levels normally begin to rise in the early morning hours... also blood sugar drops during the night - both of these can wake you.

I am not a diabetic but I have found eating a small snack - like a handful of raisins- before bed sometimes helps me sleep better...

Please consult with your doctor - I am certainly not an expert - just sharing info I've run across... :)
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary it's hard to say whether it's a nutrition thing or something else.

I agree that it could be a blood sugar problem. It could also be that you aren't eating enough; again without seeing your diary it's hard to say.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Look at your diet. You're type 2 diabetic. You need a special diet plan. Look at your carb intake. Where do they come from? Losing weight doesnt mean you are healthier. You need to keep your blood sugar stable. Waking up in the middle of the night may be a sign of night time low blood sugar. Avoid eating heavy meals-fruit-sugary snacks before bed. Dont skip meals. Dont overeat carbs. Dont avoid carbs. Dont eat carbs alone. Spread your slow digesting carbs through your meals to keep your blood sugar stable. Ah also avoid caffeine.
  • Maggie821
    Maggie821 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hopefully your doctor has some idea? One suggestion - sodium levels. Drinking lots and lots of water tends to deplete our sodium supplies, and that can make you feel pretty wiped out.
  • velsbree
    Options
    your MD should do the usual testing CBC CMP and thyroid level before brushing you off.Get a second opinion or see your OB/GYN instead of your PCP
  • kat191
    Options
    Weird, I wake up at 3am too all the time I usually get up have a drink and go back to bed been like this past year and didnt really think much of it!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Lately, though, it seems I've got MORE problems. I wake up at exactly 3am every morning with an elevated heartrate. I'm having trouble sleeping at night and can at times have trouble staying awake throughout the day. My body tends to feel weak during the day, too.
    How many calories are you eating? When's your last meal? Are you eating back your exercise calories?

I've had all those symptoms when I just wasn't eating enough. Set your MFP goal to lose no more than 1lb a week, eat back a good proportion of your exercise calories and think about eating later or having a snack after your evening meal.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Open your diary if you want some more feedback.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr. but that sounds like depression to me.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Open your diary if you want some more feedback.

^^^^^^^ This. And,

Did you start taking medication for your blood sugar when you were diagnosed with DM2? You may not need it anymore.
  • SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    3 years ago I lost over 100 pounds (310 leaving the hospital to 205). I'd had my daughter and decided it was time to bust my butt and get in shape for her.

I still had more to lose when I started fainting. I went into the hospital and they discovered I had heart issues (they tried to do an EKG and my heart rate was 37). Was referred to a cardiologist that did all the standard tests and discovered heart issues that I never knew about and now have to be careful of (he said I'll have a pacemaker one day) but had nothing to do with my resting heart rate (he said I'm an athlete?!). However none of that was the cause of my fainting. I went to my GP and had other tests done. The most brutal of which was the test for hypoglycemia which lasted all day and confirmed that I had hypoglycemia. The thing is, all of this really came to light because I was eating waaaaay too little and had a laundry list of things that I wouldn't let myself eat. Anorexia anyone?

I guess what I'm trying to point out is that you're not alone. It happened to me too. It made me give up on myself and put me into a depression. I didn't know how to continue losing weight as a hypoglycemic with all of the rules it seemed that I had to follow so I simply quit trying.

Please don't let that be you.
  • leejayem
    leejayem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Sounds like hormones to me. Anxiety, thyroid issues, possible early menopause - I'd be getting all these checked. Just from my own experiences - but most importantly get this checked thoroughly by a doctor & I'd be asking for a referral to an endocrinologist. My 2 cents!! :flowerforyou:
  • BlackTimber
    BlackTimber Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a blood pressure measurement device, consider getting one. I use an battery/electric automatic machine that is easy to use and accurate. When you wake up in the middle of the night, take your blood pressure. It will show blood pressure and your heart rate. These numbers could be helpful for your doctor. You can also develop a base line for your BP and HR at different times of the day. You should also take your Glucose level at that time. My daughter is a Type I diabetic and sometimes there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for what is going on. But having good data can help over time.
  • danaweston
    Options
    Sounds like hormones to me. Anxiety, thyroid issues, possible early menopause - I'd be getting all these checked. Just from my own experiences - but most importantly get this checked thoroughly by a doctor & I'd be asking for a referral to an endocrinologist. My 2 cents!! :flowerforyou:
    I agree that hormones could also be considered...have your MD check your meds blood sugar and HORMONE level
    37 is early but I started experiencing a" change" at 38 LOL
  • vegannlg
    vegannlg Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Here is NOT the place to come for advice about not feeling physically well. There are a multitude of possibilities - thyroid issues, peri-menopause (you're not "too young"), other glandular issues, blood sugar, so many things that a doctor can help to figure out. If yours doesn't listen, find one who does!

edited to add: waking up and heart racing were my first signs that I was headed for night sweats, etc., it just took a while.
  • LupaNera
    Options
    I have insulin resistence and I am more or less ollowing the principles for 2TD. for me worked very well to spread carbs over the whole day. I am also on metformin and the sugar cravings have dropped a lot.
    I also have high levels of cortisol but seems just stress (did all the checks).
    You should check with your doc, and if he is not an endocrinologist you should find one. All metabolic issues are related.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    It can be signs of over exercising and under eating. I can't see you diary so you have to decide for yourself if it apply to you.

Good luck
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'm not a Dr. but that sounds like depression to me.
    You are definitely not a doctor.
  • OddballExtreme
    OddballExtreme Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Okay, everybody, I just made my diary public. And here's an update. I went to bed last night with TWO pillows instead of FOUR pillows. That's already made a difference, as my heartrate wasn't so crazy this morning. It's a start, but I will still see the doctor for further opinion.

Meanwhile, I'm going to enjoy a few days of vacation. The challenge will be watching what I eat and how much I eat, but the hotel we're staying at DOES have fitness facilities, so that should definitely help me burn off the calories. There's a place in Orange Beach called "Gulf Shores Steamer," where the seafood is fresh, and NOTHING IS FRIED! Can you say "diabetic dream come true"? :laugh: