too painful for workout but ready to lose

Options
i have heard some really good things about this site and I'm ready to try. I need to lose my pot belly and get in better shape..I have been in too much pain to work out but hopefully will get some relief on 24 August. In the meantime, I want to try this fitness pal thing and see if it helps.

Replies

• tallvesl99
    tallvesl99 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I would like to add that I had a medical procedure which has relieved my pain significantly. I have been able to walk much more frequently. Also, using My Fitness Pal I have lost 6 pounds already!
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Good job. I'm in a similar situation. It's pretty tough - I wish you the best.
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started in Aoril of 2011. I had a failed back and knee surgery and in pain everyday. I had 112 lbs to lose and have lost 78 lbs so far. It can be done, I exercise to what my limit will allow. You will get alot of support here and I have sent u a friend request. IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joann
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Good for you, I wish you all the success in the world!
  • Jewel31657
    Options
    WOW. You go girl !!!!
  • kmonique801
    Options
    hello,

i understand about trying to work through the pain. im right there with you. what work best for me was to find something that i was interested in that would raise my heart rate. i found a belly dance class and i love it. by the time i walk out it looks like ive been douced with a bucket of water. i also have a tony little gazzell. its low impact and keeps me moving and i can do it while watching tv or studing for a test. but if that is to much some days i just strech, it makes a world of difference. wish you much success.
  • citizencrp
    citizencrp Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar boat. I have chronic pain after multiple back surgeries. My pain isn't 1/10th as bad as it was 18 months ago but it's always there and it often keeps me from working out. I see a lot of my MFP buddies logging big workouts, but I'm proud just to get my 2 solid 30min walks in a week. I mean, I walk more than that, but those 2: I'm really focused on my posture, and speed, and breathing, and keeping my abs pulled in, so that it feels like a real workout and not just walking the dog.
    The rest I do with diet.
    The fact is, working out is one of the best things you can do for your health, and probably for your pain management in the long run, BUT to lose weight, it's not required. All that is required to lose 1lb a week is to take in 3500 fewer calories per week than you normally would. Let MFP guide you. And if you can start adding more exercise, do it.
  • Jen_Jennings
    Jen_Jennings Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have chronic back pain and nerve pain in my arm/hand. I can relate.
  • sisyoli
    sisyoli Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am glad you shared your story. I have RA and other problems and everyday i hurt when I exercise but I sure feel better after I am done...I know my limits also.Good Luck .
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    You can lose the weight without exercise. You just have to be good on macro managing your food log. Its doable log as your ready to commit and believe in yourself.
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Like the others, I too can relate. If you would like to add me I support my friends. Good luck to you!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I started in Aoril of 2011. I had a failed back and knee surgery and in pain everyday. I had 112 lbs to lose and have lost 78 lbs so far. It can be done, I exercise to what my limit will allow. You will get alot of support here and I have sent u a friend request. IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Joann

GOOD JOB!!! Might I ask what you are able to do for exercise? I am always afraid I'm not doing enough but I've read about a lot of people who lose a fair amount of weight just by diet alone. Now I know a lot of the exercise comes in wanting to tone up and at my age I'm going to have to use that..but I dont' do the weight lifting or anything other than cardio. Please share your tips :)
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda right there with you guys. In July I had a hysterectomy and a shoulder surgery. I also have fibromyalgia, knee problems, and back problems. Then last week, I accidentally drop kicked my phone. Bone bruise, anyone? So just at the moment, I can't walk, can't do weights, and too much of anything makes me tired. I focus as much as possible on what I CAN do. I can swim and ride a recumbent exercise bike, stretch, and do PT exercises for my everything (at one time or another in the past four years, I've been to PT for shoulders, back, knees, and ankle.). I do these as much as i can manage. Swimming in particular is an interesting challenge, since i cant do arm strokes on the right just now. I either kick my way across, or use a one-armed canoe style stroke with my left arm, or jog in the pool. If all you can do is bicep curls and leg lifts, do that. Work with your doctors if necessary, to work it an exercise program you can do.

Exercise IS possible, even with multiple problems. It takes determination, and the patience with yourself to accept that sometimes, you gotta take a rest day.
  • emmaamme2
    emmaamme2 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this. I am finding that the accountability of writing down my foods is great. It's the exercise that worries me. Every time I start trying to exercise I end up injuring my back & then I am back to square 1. With 3 young boys to look after I need to be healthy, active and on my feet, not in bed because I have stupidly injured myself again. I want to do this safely and well. Would love some friends who are on the same journey.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Glad to see that you're trying to change your life for the better. I'll add you for sure to help motivate and support you in your journey. Good Luck! Let's lose this weight together!!!
  • jpe71
    jpe71 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this. I am finding that the accountability of writing down my foods is great. It's the exercise that worries me. Every time I start trying to exercise I end up injuring my back & then I am back to square 1. With 3 young boys to look after I need to be healthy, active and on my feet, not in bed because I have stupidly injured myself again. I want to do this safely and well. Would love some friends who are on the same journey.

Have you considered going to a physical therapist to work out an exercise plan, and maybe improve your back? Mine has done wonders for my back in the past, and now if it bothers me, it's back to the old back routine. Otherwise, you might try swim, if you can find a pool or lake or ocean to use. Really good for bad joints.

Although it also occurs to me that with three kids, you probably get in a daily workout just keeping up with them!
  • Rowdy00
    Options
    So glad to hear that you have been able to do some walking. It is difficult when you are in pain and you want to try to exercise. I am in the same boat and I do what I can as long as my body can handle it. It has helped boost my moods as well. Congratulations on your 6 pound loss! You are moving in the right direction!