Protein powder

Options
Hi
I burn about 750 + calories during workout 6x a week. I want to increase my protein as well because I feel I need it. I have tried two days in a row to drink a protein drink that I buy(very expensive though) and it helps me not to get tired before dinner time.
There are so many protein products out there and it makes me so confused. What type/brand of protein powder is the best for me to buy?

Replies

• meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition protein powders as well for the taste. My favorite so far is cookies and cream although I also drink a lot of the chocolate.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I use what they use above....but I buy the natural version in Vanilla.

Erica
  • ceajules
    Options
    I also do intense workouts 6 days a week, turbofire did P90X before that was just using the protein from GNC then switched to Shakeology I was scared to do to cost well I am totally hooked now better results more endurance I feel fuller and its like going to the salad bar five times one drink and you have your daily fruit and veggies in for the day
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Thank you all very much :smile: I appreciate it
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Premier Nutrition (Sam's Club and Costco) and Pro Performance and Optimum Nutrition (GNC and many places online). All three of these taste good mixed with water (PN is RTD so no mixing necessary) and are high protein, decent calories and low carbs. And all taste super good.
  • Tat2dDom0105
    Options
    I like optimum nutrition protein powders as well for the taste. My favorite so far is cookies and cream although I also drink a lot of the chocolate.

I have the double rich chocolate, and it tastes great.
  • fitpilatesqueen
    Options
    Premier Nutrition (Sam's Club and Costco) and Pro Performance and Optimum Nutrition (GNC and many places online). All three of these taste good mixed with water (PN is RTD so no mixing necessary) and are high protein, decent calories and low carbs. And all taste super good.
    Wow you have been doing great...good progress...congrats.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    i use dynamtize whey and casein . you can buy it online a lot less expensive then in the stores. i usually buy two 5lb tubs and it lasts me a while because i dont drink it every day
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    ON Gold standard as stated is very good. I work for Gaspari and we make some good wheys too. TBH any whey as long as its from a quality supplier will do its job. Avoid very cheap brands. I personally tested brands in the UK 2 years ago and the cheaper brands tended to be the ones that had whey claiming to be 60%+ and were actually 24-25%!
  • Lovelybirdxx
    Lovelybirdxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I buy EAS 100% Whey Protein and I really like it. It isnt to much money and the nutrition facts fit what I wanted. It could be different for anyone else but so far I am very happy with it.
  • skinnybitchbarbie27
    Options
    Six Star (as mentioned above) is ok for me, however I felt their "triple chocolate" was almost too sweet to handle. I really enjoy a brand called "Muscle Milk". I get the chocolate, it isn't chaulky, and has a lovely flavor. Per 2 scoops it has like 310 calories and 32g Protein. However, I use it as an after exercise pick me up or breakfast so I use one scoop and mix it with milk instead of water. I just personally prefer my shakes a little thicker, even though the flavor is still great in water.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    ON Gold standard as stated is very good. I work for Gaspari and we make some good wheys too. TBH any whey as long as its from a quality supplier will do its job. Avoid very cheap brands. I personally tested brands in the UK 2 years ago and the cheaper brands tended to be the ones that had whey claiming to be 60%+ and were actually 24-25%!

I totally agree with Matt that quality is most important. I am also a fan of Gaspari Myofusion. I like the taste and texture the best. It has a fuller feel in my mouth than the others I've tried even when only mixed with water. I've tried many including ON. There were many that were good nutritionally but I didn't like the flavor or texture. It was either gritty or in the case of ON, great with milk but thin feeling with water. I get Myofusion online at SB Muscle and the price is very good.

Just for the record, I have no commercial relationship with either Gaspari or SB Muscle.
  • asticoral
    Options
    I use Amazing Grass meal replacement drink as an addition to my diet, wanting to add more protein as I'm not a happy red meat eater I started looking around. I found this nice comparison function on http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/top50.htm

The one thing I noticed is you HAVE to watch for added sodium and sugars on many of them!

I recently added Lifetimes Life's Basics (plant protein unsweetened vanilla) to my intake, but I am thoroughly unhappy at its mixing - as a 'loose' drink, it settles to the bottom and has a huge frothy head if blended/shaken. In a smoothie or mixed into yogurt, it does well.

My next will either be Vega One or Raw protein, unless I find something better :)