New Breakfast Ideas

Options
I've been eating the same breakfast for awhile, and while it works well for me, I'm looking to switch things up. My typical breakfast is Greek yogurt with grapenuts. I like it because it has both protein and complex carbs and is super portable. This is important since I take this meal to work with me and eat it there. I also like the convenience of it because I can buy large batches of the yogurt and cereal without worrying about it going bad quickly. I'm looking for something that offers similar nutrition and portability but doesn't have yogurt (I'm flirting with the idea of going semi-vegan). Any ideas? Oatmeal is a no-go for me because, for some reason, I take FOREVER to eat it so it isn't realistic to have at work. Thanks!

Replies

• butterflyqueen1984
    Options
    I too have the same problem as I take my breakfast to work. I will be looking out on this topic for ideas when people post!
  • clp60
    clp60 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love a toasted english muffin with 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter and a sliced banana. Very filling and keeps me full until lunch. I also make my own version of an egg mcmuffin, with either a slice of canadian bacon or a soy sausage.
  • maryjay51
    Options
    you can always make up a breakfast sandwich or wrap to take in..or have something nontraditional for breakfast. no one says you have to have traditional breakfast food in order to diet ... i eat breakfast at home but on the fly i always make things up ahead of time.. fresh fruit and a protein shake ... almond butter on whole grain bread or i like almond butter with kashi honey & sesame seed crackers.
  • MILFaspirations
    MILFaspirations Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    lately i have been having a bagel thin, with 1 wedge laughing cow veggie cream cheese spread on both halves, and a sliced egg on top, if i'm really hungry i slice two eggs.

i hard boil about 6 eggs at a time and keep them in fridge. I take this breakfast to work and put it together.
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm not a morning person and not very hungry in the mornings, so my breakfasts are simple.
    Boiled egg and a piece of whole grain toast.
    String cheese or cottage cheese and a piece of fruit.
    A handful of almonds and fruit.
    A protein shake.
    Protein bars (just posted a homemade no-bake recipe on my blog that I like.)
    Hummus on a piece of toast.

I also keep hardboiled eggs (peeled and in a covered container in the fridge--I've read they will last up to a week that way.) Cheap, easy-to-grab protein!
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    lately i have been having a bagel thin, with 1 wedge laughing cow veggie cream cheese spread on both halves, and a sliced egg on top, if i'm really hungry i slice two eggs.

i hard boil about 6 eggs at a time and keep them in fridge. I take this breakfast to work and put it together.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I prefer Greek yogurt with muesli, raisins, raspberries, blueberries and chia seeds. Same portability, same protein with some fruit as well as oatmeal. If you don't like raisins, you could switch out the muesli for just oatmeal and put diced prunes in there instead.

Hard boiled eggs are great as well.
  • takerbrat
    takerbrat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola with quinoa -

1 cup canola oil
    1 cup honey
    1/4 cup peanutbutter
    1/4 cup corn syrup

8 cups rolled oats
    1 cup wheat germ
    1 cup pecans, chopped
    1 cup cranraisins, chopped
    1/2 cup flax seed
    2 cups quinoa, soaked in 1 1/2 cups of water for 2 hours

Directions - melt first four ingredients in a saucepan, stir to combine, pour over remaining ingredients and mix to coat. Spread mixture on two large cookie sheets and bake at 300 degrees for one hour. Stir granola every 20 minutes and switch top cookie sheet with bottom half way through.

And then I make my own breakfast cookies:

1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup butter, softened
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 egg (you can omit the egg if you are going vegan)
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    2 cups granola
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
    2. In a large bowl, beat the brown sugar, butter, vanilla and egg.
    3. Stir the applesauce into the mixture and then add the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
    4. On an ungreased cookie sheet, drop rounded tablespoons of dough about two inches apart. Bake for 11 to 13 minutes or until cookie center does not leave indentation when touched. Remove and cool the cookies on a wire rack before serving.
  • jonielena
    Options
    Oh man, I have the same problem with oatmeal! I can never finish it! I've gotten around that problem by putting oats in my smoothies. Also, quinoa breakfast bowls are delish and easier to finish (for me, at least). Try boiling quinoa with chocolate almond milk and cinnamon, and then mix in a mashed banana and walnuts. So good!

I have to be to work by 7am every morning, so I've gotten pretty good at packing work-friendly breakfast foods... also, I can't eat dairy or gluten, so I can help you out with some vegan options!

If you can cook, try making breakfast bars on the weekend. That way, you can just cut one up and bring it to work in the morning along with some fruit and yogurt. This week I made vegan oatmeal chocolate breakfast brownies, and they're delicious (and pretty healthy). This blog has a lot of great vegan/GF breakfast bar recipes: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca

Also, a friend of mine is a holistic nutritionist and vegan chef. She has some pretty awesome recipes on her website: http://abigailchristens.com

If you need any specific ideas or recipes re: vegan/GF/work-friendly meals, feel free to friend and/or message me!
  • MdmAcolyte
    MdmAcolyte Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch and breakfast during the week (except for Wednesdays, when I treat myself to something fun to help break up the work week).

Well, these are not semi-vegan ideas, these are my breakfasts I typically pack:

2 hard boiled eggs and bacon (you can cook these ahead of time, and it take 10 seconds to warm up bacon in the microwave)

2 eggo waffles (I have a flat container I squirt syrup in, then put the hot waffles on top, and then 1/2 TBS of butter on each one, and it melts perfectly by the time I get to work and eat it)

Oatmeal ~ I know you said you had a hard time eating it, but I mix all sorts of things into mine that make it less bland... If you mix it the night before, toss some frozen fruit in it when you microwave it in the morning... I have also been known to mix in pancake syrup, peanut butter, raisins, cranberry raisins are the BOMB... Lol Live a little.

Im not a big fan of yogurt, but Ill pack that and mix in frozen fruit.

Hope that helps. ;)
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I love a toasted english muffin with 1 tbsp creamy peanut butter and a sliced banana. Very filling and keeps me full until lunch.

Thanks! I might be able to make this at home and just bring with me. I'll keep it in mind.
  • SamAdams125
    SamAdams125 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I have the same problem with oatmeal! I can never finish it! I've gotten around that problem by putting oats in my smoothies. Also, quinoa breakfast bowls are delish and easier to finish (for me, at least). Try boiling quinoa with chocolate almond milk and cinnamon, and then mix in a mashed banana and walnuts. So good!

I have to be to work by 7am every morning, so I've gotten pretty good at packing work-friendly breakfast foods... also, I can't eat dairy or gluten, so I can help you out with some vegan options!

If you can cook, try making breakfast bars on the weekend. That way, you can just cut one up and bring it to work in the morning along with some fruit and yogurt. This week I made vegan oatmeal chocolate breakfast brownies, and they're delicious (and pretty healthy). This blog has a lot of great vegan/GF breakfast bar recipes: http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.ca

Also, a friend of mine is a holistic nutritionist and vegan chef. She has some pretty awesome recipes on her website: http://abigailchristens.com

If you need any specific ideas or recipes re: vegan/GF/work-friendly meals, feel free to friend and/or message me!

Thanks! I sent you a message :) Do you have a specific recipe for the quinoa bowls? (ie how much quinoa to liquid and how many servings does it make). I'm a pretty decent cook so making bars might work so long as I can keep them healthy enough ;)