Upper body questions

Options
So I'm off my feet for a while with a bum foot... On crutches... I go to the ortho on wed... And I'll probably be on crutches a while

Until then I'm looking for ways to not loose my upper body strength... I've gotten to where all my exercises I do at the gym involve way more weight than I have at home... And I don't feel safe trying to navigate the gym on crutches (although I've been told...I should go anyways because it would be motivational to others)

So I can't use my right foot at all and I'm trying to figure out upper body exercises... Should I just say screw it and eat at a deficit and convalesce?

Replies

• justjenn1977
    justjenn1977 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I should add I'm bored out of my mind! And looking for something to do something...
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You can get resistance bands for a relatively cheap price and you can adapt most exercices you would use dumbells etc in the gym, giving you a good upper body workout :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'd still go to the gym and do what I needed to do. I've seen a handful of people do this at the gym before, and it's awesome that people still have the drive even when injured.
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    I think I'll dig out the resistance bands (unless my son took them to school) and try to figure out how to do some things without involving the feet (or standing...)

For at least the next week or so I'm trying to stay off it as much as possible as just walking to the bathroom (without putting weight on it) has me sobbing...

Thanks guys
  • GrumpyAG
    GrumpyAG Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think I'll dig out the resistance bands (unless my son took them to school) and try to figure out how to do some things without involving the feet (or standing...)

You can use door handles and things like that to create the resistance so you dont need to use your feet :)
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    Personally, I'd still go to the gym and do what I needed to do. I've seen a handful of people do this at the gym before, and it's awesome that people still have the drive even when injured.

it's my right foot... so I can't drive until I can walk (legally... apparently there are laws about this?!) and it is hard enough to find people to take me to places I *need* to go... let alone to take me places I *want* to go...

I have tried to use the resistance bands... and I just feel like I am waving my arms around?? I don't know what I am doing wrong... I am trying to mimic things I do in the gym... I don't know proper names... the tricep thing where you hold the bar over your head and lower it behind your head... tried to hold the band behind my back and then lift it up to stretch it... I feel the band stretch but it feels like I am just waving my arm...

bicep curls... sat on the band and held it close to my leg... did bicep curls... felt the band stretching... but not my biceps... I could have just been waving a feather...

a couple others...

sigh...
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    What's the damage to your leg?

Strength training can't be replicated with bands. I'd rather see you find other ways to lift at the gym with the injured leg then do bands.
  • justjenn1977
    Options

Strength training can't be replicated with bands. I'd rather see you find other ways to lift at the gym with the injured leg then do bands.

I broke my foot while jogging... I am to wear this ginormous boot and not put any weight on it or drive... I go back to the doc on 10 oct...

I am feeling really lazy by staying on the couch... but I have to keep it up because I have a lot of pain in it when I am up and about...

I would rather find ways to go to the gym... but I don't think that will happen for a while... I am hoping that the pain lightens up soon... I am ok if I sit with it up and and have the heating pad on it... but if I spend more than an hour or so upright (as in with my foot not elevated) I get sharp stabbing pain...

I remembered "girl" push ups today... I did 14! it felt amazing... (I have never done 14 of ANY kind of push up!!!) and didn't hurt my foot... I might just try to do push ups again tomorrow... and see if it bothers me to do them a couple times through out the day...
  • JNick77
    Options

I broke my foot while jogging... I am to wear this ginormous boot and not put any weight on it or drive... I go back to the doc on 10 oct...

I am feeling really lazy by staying on the couch... but I have to keep it up because I have a lot of pain in it when I am up and about...

I would rather find ways to go to the gym... but I don't think that will happen for a while... I am hoping that the pain lightens up soon... I am ok if I sit with it up and and have the heating pad on it... but if I spend more than an hour or so upright (as in with my foot not elevated) I get sharp stabbing pain...

I remembered "girl" push ups today... I did 14! it felt amazing... (I have never done 14 of ANY kind of push up!!!) and didn't hurt my foot... I might just try to do push ups again tomorrow... and see if it bothers me to do them a couple times through out the day...

It might be worth just sitting for a while and letting it heal. Maybe when you stop experiencing the pain you go back to the gym. You can use upper body lifts that allow you to sit or lie down. If you need to stand for some reason find a flat bench that you kneel on with the injured foot and keep from putting pressure on that foot.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    HI!

Now is the time to break the lazy habit! Pick up those hand weights and do this!!! CONGRATS on those girl pushups _ KEEP it UP!!

We all end up out of shape because of the "looking for excuses" phenomenon. YOU are BETTER!

do it! :love:

p.s. - one of my very first friends here on MFP was a DR. who had broken her ankle! (had a boot like you) She and I took on chair aerobics to music and eventually she was healing.....got strong and lost 90 pounds! It took time BUT she did it! So can you!
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    HI!

Now is the time to break the lazy habit! Pick up those hand weights and do this!!! CONGRATS on those girl pushups _ KEEP it UP!!

We all end up out of shape because of the "looking for excuses" phenomenon. YOU are BETTER!

do it! :love:

p.s. - one of my very first friends here on MFP was a DR. who had broken her ankle! (had a boot like you) She and I took on chair aerobics to music and eventually she was healing.....got strong and lost 90 pounds! It took time BUT she did it! So can you!

thanks... I think the reason I am going crazy is that I have broken the lazy habit... I am used to 100+ miles per month hiked/biked/walked (aug I had 167)... I feel like I am being a lazy bum!!!

It might be worth just sitting for a while and letting it heal. Maybe when you stop experiencing the pain you go back to the gym. You can use upper body lifts that allow you to sit or lie down. If you need to stand for some reason find a flat bench that you kneel on with the injured foot and keep from putting pressure on that foot.

I am going totally crazy just sitting here... I am trying to find ways to be 5 or 6 minutes of active without injuring myself... and I can move my upper body just fine... I am also somewhat worried about losing everything I worked so hard for...
  • JNick77
    Options
    I am going totally crazy just sitting here... I am trying to find ways to be 5 or 6 minutes of active without injuring myself... and I can move my upper body just fine... I am also somewhat worried about losing everything I worked so hard for...

I totally get how you feel right now. I injured myself pretty good 3 times in the last two years that limited and even eliminated lifting for a while and I was going nuts. Even last week I was just on a business trip and didn't have time for anything and wanted to throw my laptop against the wall. LOL
  • justjenn1977
    Options
    I totally get how you feel right now. I injured myself pretty good 3 times in the last two years that limited and even eliminated lifting for a while and I was going nuts. Even last week I was just on a business trip and didn't have time for anything and wanted to throw my laptop against the wall. LOL

I have gotten so used to being active...

I feel like a junky with no fix :sad: