Perimenopausal (TMI for men)

Options
Am I the only one lost in the wilderness here? I could get my period every 14 days, or 21, or 28 or 35. They last 15 days now, so I'm on more than off. No effing clue when the heck it might show up, but I WILL be in so much pain that I will be nauseated and basically flat on my back for two days. Today, I planned a 45 minute workout, but at about 25 minutes, well, if I had stayed there it would have been a flooding embarrassment. I did have the good sense to wear long black pants, but really? A super plus tampon is unreliable for ONE FREAKING HOUR?

And my doctors say this is normal and healthy. Yay me? LOL

But I am really sick and tired of having my period more days of a month than not. Of never knowing when the damned thing will show up. Of being sidelined a good 6 days per month vomiting. And this is healthy? I'd rather be sick.

Who's with me here?

Replies

• Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand the cramps so finally my doctor suggested uterine ablation. It's a quick procedure in the office. Most ladies don't get a period anymore after the procedure. I am one of the ones that do, but it's very little and only one day, no cramping. A huge improvement from before.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I'm a little nervous to go a surgical route, though I am happy it worked for you.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I had an ablation too and it worked well. I still have severe cramping and my doctor gave me Lysteda about a month ago. She said its new (I read that it has been OTC in Sweden for quite a long time). It is made for heavy bleeding but as a side effect helps cramps. You only take it on the bad days, not all the time. It's not narcotic so it doesn't make you drowsy. You might read up on it.
  • Mistyblu08
    Mistyblu08 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    yup I am just starting the fun :( hate it already!
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I had trouble like that too - my doctor put me on progesterone tablets which seemed to do the trick.
  • petechiae
    petechiae Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My mother (47 years old) has these issues too. Her doctor prescribed her the pill and while that helps with cramps, it doesn't help with the massive bleeding. She needs to use tampons and sanitary towels at the same time to prevent any accident.
    She is going to ask for a progesterone only pill such as Micronor next month. Usually, with this pill, you just don't have your periods anymore. I'm 20, so my situation is not quite the same, but I used to have painful and irregular periods... I'm now taking a progesterone only pill and that solved everything for me. I'm an happy panda now.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    This may be the first time in two years that I'm even remotely thankful for chemo induced menopause. Thanks for the perspective ladies :). I sincerely hope you all find some relief from your symptoms and an answer to having it impact your daily lives so much. This fitness thing is hard enough without throwing that wrench into the works :(.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand the cramps so finally my doctor suggested uterine ablation. It's a quick procedure in the office. Most ladies don't get a period anymore after the procedure. I am one of the ones that do, but it's very little and only one day, no cramping. A huge improvement from before.

Ditto, best thing I ever did.
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm a little nervous to go a surgical route, though I am happy it worked for you.

The ablation was so easy, my doc did it right in the office just local anesthesia. Some cramping afterwards for a day or two but so much relief since it was definitely worth it.
  • dhencel
    dhencel Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    get a second opinion.......
  • fedorpuppy
    fedorpuppy Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had a uterine ablation 3 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. I went from bleeding through an ultra plus tampon and pad combined to using a pantyliner one day a month. A little scary as it is a permanent solution, but if you are sure no more kids go for it. I really regretted waiting so long to do it.
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Hi, and I do feel for you, it is just so tiring apart from anything else. In the UK they actually do a super plus extra, which may help a little.

I am currently going through the nauseaus phase and have some crystallised ginger that I have a munch on. It is however coated in sugar, buts its the only sort I could get. Mint tea may help. I have even tried the eucalyptus flavoured gum, to try and settle my stomach.They have all helped a little.

It is definitely a struggle but I do try to get some of my exercises in, even if its only 10 minutes at a time.

Hope you are feeling a little less chewed...... Hugs.
  • Just_Pam
    Just_Pam Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have had miserable periods all my life (now 50) and a couple years ago my GP gave me tranexamic acid tablets (might be called something different in US, this is in the UK). What a miracle drug! Take on heavy days and it transforms it into an almost light day and cramps disappear. I was told it may make my periods longer but it actually shortened them as well.

I still can't wait for menopause lol but at least I can managed in the meantime!
  • rmf626
    Options

^^Me, too! One of the best things I've ever done. I decided to go this route when I had one period that lasted for 40 days! It was a pretty simple procedure and the recovery was not difficult. Mine was not performed in the doctor's office, but as outpatient surgery under anesthesia. The other option that was given was a hysterectomy and I went for the less invasive option. I have not had a period since, which was a great benefit in my opinion.
  • BodyByButter
    BodyByButter Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    One more note about the ablation - in my case, either I had to be sterile or my husband had to be. He got a vasectomy so I could have the procedure done. The procedure makes the uterus unable to sustain a pregnancy again so most doctors will require this I believe.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas (and sympathy). Maybe I have to think more about ablation, too.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    yep right here with you...and I'm will not be going under any knife anytime soon so I'm gonna learn to deal with it. I have to pack my purse no matter what friggin day of the month it is..cuz hell I could be walking around the store 1 minute and be in the bathroom needing a transfusion the next. I HATE that! I have 1 little span of time that I can get on the scale and know what I am doing is actually working and I better relic in that moment cuz the next day I'm gonna gain like 20 lbs of water. BLECH!