Probiotics

Options
So I've decide to start taking probiotics. I'm looking to some opinions on what people think about it and has it helped.

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    Helped with what? Your digestion/regularity or with weight loss?
  • JennKoz529
    JennKoz529 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Helped with both I guess. I'm taking it more for digestive reasons but was also wondering if it helps at all with weight loss.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I make kefir at home which is all about probiotics. It is really good for my husband who has diverticulitis and keeps you healthy in general. Kefir and high fiber (metamucil) have literally changed his life. It also has been shown to lower your blood pressure.

Have no idea if it helps with weight loss.
  • jjl0412
    jjl0412 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    oYoplait lite!
  • russellma
    russellma Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I take a probiotic daily, mainly because they help to balance hormones.

I don't think they have worked single-handedly, but along with a good diet and exercise, I'm fairly symptom-free and I've exceeded my original goal!

I also rarely get sick, although I have 3 kids that tend to bring bugs home.

So, although I can't prove that they help, my opinion is that they definitely can't hurt!
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    After having my gallbladder removed I had a lot of digestion problems. Probiotics have taken care of most of them. I eat yogurt everyday and don't take the pill form. My favorite yogurt is Fage Greek yogurt.
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking probiotics and feel less turmoil in my stomach when taking one with each meal. No more gassiness when eating high fiber foods which is good since I just had my gall bladder removed and I need to increase my fiber intake.

Good Luck!
  • YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are a naturally occurring phenomenon in nature. Current mass production agricultural systems have destroyed probiotics and have stripped them and their health benefits from our diet. Science has demonstrated that reintroducing probiotics into humanoids has actually reversed or slowed the activity of some diseases and healed people from other diseases altogether.

And yes, it will help with weight loss, too!
  • JennKoz529
    Options
    Wow! Thank you so much for everyone who has replied! This just confirms that I should have been taking them a while ago! And yes, I had my gal bladder removed also. Since then I've had all kinds of digestion issues!!!
  • leska1216
    Options
    I make kefir at home which is all about probiotics. It is really good for my husband who has diverticulitis and keeps you healthy in general. Kefir and high fiber (metamucil) have literally changed his life. It also has been shown to lower your blood pressure.

Oh, I love Kefir!! And would love to be able to make some at home but I can't find any live culture locally.

Like your husband, I, too, have diverticular disease; through 2 resections I have lost over 4 ft of intestine. I take probiotics every day (Tu-Zen x 2) and have a high fiber mix (PEG 3350) that I can either sprinkle on my food (I don't) or mix into my water (2 heapings tsps to 2 liters). Both together these keep me functioning!! As I drink in excess of 8 liters of water per day, I have a lot of fiber in my diet, a lot of water, and the probiotics. I have been using both of these since 2003, and would say it does not help with weight loss.
  • meglet175
    Options
    I saw your post and just had to reply. Probiotic supplements were a lifesaver to my now 19-year-old son a couple of years ago. He was having all sorts of digestive issues - extreme pain every time he ate, gassiness, frequent diarrhea - and we couldn't find a cause. We saw lots of doctors, but every test they ran showed he was "normal." We even had him tested for parasites, but again - nothing. They said he had "irritable bowel syndrome," which is their way of saying, "We don't know what is wrong, so he'll just have to continue to suffer." This went on for a couple of months, and he was losing a lot of weight - down to 117 pounds at 6'1"!!! He said he felt like he was starving, but it hurt so much to eat that he didn't want to. At times, he was writhing on the floor in pain and sobbing. He said it felt like an elephant was standing on his belly. He truly didn't have any emotional or stress issues. This was a physical problem.

My pharmacist sister recommended a probiotic supplement with several different strains of good bacteria, and within a few days of taking it, my son's symptoms began to subside. After a few weeks, he was pain-free. He still takes them occasionally, but he has made an effort to eat more fruits and vegetables to keep his good bacteria happy and healthy. After some time and research, we think he had either had a virus or mild food poisoning that had killed off his good bacteria, leaving him unable to digest foods properly. Once healthy levels of probiotics were restored to his gut, he was fine. In his case, yogurt alone wasn't working - he needed the billions of units of bacteria found in the supplements.

What flabbergasts me is that NOT ONE doctor or nurse mentioned probiotics. It broke my heart to see my son suffer and starve, and my husband and I were terrified for his health, but the medical community offered absolutely no help. We spent thousands of dollars on doctor's visits, tests, and scans, but a $20 supplement from CVS turned him around.
  • mkzara
    mkzara Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering about this as well. Lately I have been trying to eat better, live better and all that jazz.

What that has led to is healthier foods, exercise and constipation. I have been thinking about starting up with probiotics to see if that helps my issue. We'll see how it goes, thanks for the info everyone.
  • youallonsy
    youallonsy Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Probiotics are a naturally occurring phenomenon in nature. Current mass production agricultural systems have destroyed probiotics and have stripped them and their health benefits from our diet. Science has demonstrated that reintroducing probiotics into humanoids has actually reversed or slowed the activity of some diseases and healed people from other diseases altogether.

:laugh: :noway:

Have you tried reading an actual science journal (or even a book without pictures)?
  • JennKoz529
    Options

:laugh: :noway:

Have you tried reading an actual science journal (or even a book without pictures)?

Hey now, be nice! I didn't start this thread for controversy. I started it for opinions and advice!
  • hellokitty41489
    Options
    I had my gall bladder removed a couple of years ago and had some digestive issues sporadically after that, which got way worse this summer when I had H-pylori. The doctor put me on probiotics and they've REALLY helped with my issues! I can't really say that they've helped with weight loss at all but my quality of life has definitely improved.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    http://lifeway.net

BEST EVER....... and if you are in chicago, go to the cafe

http://lifeway.net/LifewayWorld/StarfruitCafé.aspx

EVEN BETTER!!!!!!!!

probiotics are my godsend
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options

Oh, I love Kefir!! And would love to be able to make some at home but I can't find any live culture locally.

Like your husband, I, too, have diverticular disease; through 2 resections I have lost over 4 ft of intestine. I take probiotics every day (Tu-Zen x 2) and have a high fiber mix (PEG 3350) that I can either sprinkle on my food (I don't) or mix into my water (2 heapings tsps to 2 liters). Both together these keep me functioning!! As I drink in excess of 8 liters of water per day, I have a lot of fiber in my diet, a lot of water, and the probiotics. I have been using both of these since 2003, and would say it does not help with weight loss.

Yes, my husband also lost a few feet of intestines. The kefir was very helpful. Home made has a wider variety of flora in it than store bought (and is way cheaper), but the storebought tastes good.

I could have bought culture locally, but actually, of all things, bought it for something like $8 through ebay. If you search you can also find people who will send you culture for free. Mine has been growing for 4 years and I have given many, many cultures away locally. Every time I get too much I put in an ad in our college paper.

You can also buy it through http://www.cheesemaking.com/