For all you weight lifters....

Options
Hi!
I am 52 and have started lifting, using dumbells and now kettle bells. When I first started I was a weenie. Literally 5 lbs felt like a lot. I am up to 20 pounds on flies and curls and 15 -20 pounds on other stuff. I could squat a lot more weight but don't have access to it right now. Working on that.

I am starting to get some definition in my arms/shoulders. Legs look good. While I find 20 pounds my limit I have stopped having DMOS or very little of it. Is this good? I have also started taking a little protein drink within 15 minutes post work out.

Second question: I keep reading lift, heavier, lift more, keep going, at what point do you stop? I want to get to maintenance phase eventually and I know I have to lift at least 2x a week. At least I think that is right. I have no funds to get access to a trainer. So that is out I am on my own as far a learning goes.

I don't need to be a super strong woman, I want to look good and burn the fat and keep it off.

Thanks in advance

Replies

• kschimbeck
    Options
    Everything that I have read about lifting says heavy weights done with good form will help fight off osteoporosis, keep on adding your on a good track.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Everything that I have read about lifting says heavy weights done with good form will help fight off osteoporosis, keep on adding your on a good track.

Thanks. I do have osteopenia at that is another reason why I want to lift. I just don't want to over do it. Trying to find a happy medium. I have read a ton of sites but they seemed to be geared more towards competiition type lifting. I am in it for some strength and fat loss, bone density and general sculpted look.
  • georgie181
    Options
    it doesn't matter what your goals are, weight loss, better health, more muscles, lifting heavy will tick all of those boxes. Today I pushed 140kg with my legs!! but my arms are still very week loi. I am scared of getting arthhritis like my mother which has near completely crippled her :(
  • Mighty_Rabite
    Mighty_Rabite Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Your body will pretty much let you know when the weight is too much. As far as an actual number though, there's no set limit as to how much one should try to lift - I'd say take it as far as you can! The heavier weights require much more time to fully master, though - it's kind of a diminishing returns thing.
  • Bassgirl51
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I just found a book recommended by a thread on here. The NROWL for midlife.... It answered a lot of my questions.
  • wildcata77
    Options
    I'm a novice lifter, too, but I just wanted to say good luck and I'm glad to have this supportive group of lifters to ask these questions!