Yellow for National Suicide Prevention Day

Options
today I'm wearing a yellow shirt for National Suicide Prevention Day. Are you?

http://www.iasp.info/wspd/

Replies

• Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    You are pretty darn awesome! I have my yellow on!
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I've got my yellow on! Wear yellow or write "love" on your wrist! I lost my uncle and a friend to suicide... losing a loved one is terrible but the confusion and devastation of suicide is beyond what anyone should go through.
  • TexanThom
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I lost my nephew 2 months ago tomorrow to suicide. I never knew how it could devastate a family.
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't think I own anything yellow. :( But it is close to my heart. Rest in peace, Glen Michael.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have "love" written on my wrist, and wore yellow.
    I have not lost anyone to suicide, but I attempted it many times myself. :( Was VERY close to succeeding and now my liver is ****ed. It's good to be able to talk about it. And for everyone who just thinks it is an attention seeking thing... it is not.. suicide and depression are real, if you know anyone who you think might be thinking about it, talk to them and if they won't talk.. tell someone! It will be worth it, you never know how you could save someones' life!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. I lost my nephew 2 months ago tomorrow to suicide. I never knew how it could devastate a family.

I am sorry for your loss. :cry:
    Options
    I have "love" written on my wrist, and wore yellow.
    I have not lost anyone to suicide, but I attempted it many times myself. :( It's good to be able to talk about it. And for everyone who just thinks it is an attention seeking thing... it is not.. suicide and depression are real.

for those who don't own yellow or are already at work, like she and others have said you can wear a yellow band or write LOVE on your wrist, if you choose to participate. I'm with you, I don't know anyone personally who has, but I have attempted myself many moons ago..... :frown:
  • CountryBoy65
    CountryBoy65 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Got my yellow on today as well. Lost a close family friend several years ago to suicide. His family will never get over the fact that the signs were there and they did not see them in time. I encourage you all not only to wear yellow and think about this today....but to also take a good look around you at yourself, your family, and your friends.....learn to recognize the signs and intervene before its too late. Sometimes, there is nothing we can do...but sometimes there may be. If you wonder, take action....what have you got to lose.

RIP Dwayne, we miss you every day.

Steve, thanks for bringing this day to my attention, and I am sorry for your loss as well.
  • JackieMac979
    JackieMac979 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I saw something last night about the color being orange ... since I was a little confused, I checked online and saw conflicting information: orange, purple, red, black, and of course yellow. Seems the legit color is debated.

Because I am wearing work clothes today and heading straight home after work, I'm participating in spirit (and the candle lighting at 8 pm) instead of my clothing today...

I lost a high school friend and my father and brother to suicide. I miss them so much.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    for those who don't own yellow or are already at work, like she and others have said you can wear a yellow band or write LOVE on your wrist
    I don't have any yellow bands lying around my office, nor can I as a professional person write on my skin at work. It would have been nice to see this yesterday.
  • FormerSuperHero
    FormerSuperHero Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    today I am in yellow x
  • amonroe1343
    amonroe1343 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I was not aware. I'm wearing red to support the Chicago Public School teachers on strike today. This is something that I think about all the time. Luckily my brother is still alive today but he has attempted suicide once before after being put on the wrong meds because of a misdiagnosis. I will write LOVE on my wrists to show my support!
    Options
    for those who don't own yellow or are already at work, like she and others have said you can wear a yellow band or write LOVE on your wrist
    I don't have any yellow bands lying around my office, nor can I as a professional person write on my skin at work. It would have been nice to see this yesterday.

they were just thoughts... if you can't, you can't. It's the thought that counts. I just happened to stumble across a post last night on Facebook about it being today and thought I would wear my yellow shirt in honor.
  • Daisy_Cutter
    Options

Ruth -- change your profile picture for the day to the one we're all using. Anything helps.

Got my yellow on....

Steve <3

I've had two family members attempt and my ex-husband's uncle was successful. It's truly devastating to all.
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've got my yellow on
  • minimaggie
    minimaggie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Next week will be the second anniversary of my 16 year old daughter's death by suicide.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I was not aware. I'm wearing red to support the Chicago Public School teachers on strike today. This is something that I think about all the time. Luckily my brother is still alive today but he has attempted suicide once before after being put on the wrong meds because of a misdiagnosis. I will write LOVE on my wrists to show my support!

I became depressed and suicidal after being on meds for my skin...
    But instead of taking me off those meds, they put me ON antidepressants
    Doctors really need to find the root cause of the problem, not just treat the symptoms.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    .learn to recognize the signs and intervene before its too late. Sometimes, there is nothing we can do...but sometimes there may be. If you wonder, take action....what have you got to lose.

I know you offered this phrase from a place of love.

But, sadly, even if you see the signs, even if you know it's coming like a fu(king freight train, even if you reason with them and point out all the reasons why this is a terrible path, even if you get them hospitalized and beg the staff to keep them longer than the 72 hours...............

you still can't stop it.

believing I could have is the most painful untruth I tell myself.

:cry: :cry:
  • heliumheels
    heliumheels Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I am not wearing yellow, as I'm already at work and did not realize today is the day. Plus I don't have any work clothes that are yellow. My pants are beige though... Maybe I will write love on my wrist. I'll definitely do the candle lighting later. Lost a school friend to suicide and came very close myself on a few occasions. Lots of battle scars here, but luckily tattoos kind of cover them up. I am so sorry for all of your losses and for those of you who also dealt/deal with depression/attempts.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bry. ♥

I don't own yellow clothing.. looks horrible on me.. but others have taken markers and wrote "LOVE" across their wrists. May seem silly.. but little things like that may have more of an effect on someone than you know.