What are some of your favorite healthy foods, not recipes?

Options
I see a lot of posts from people wanting help with foods or healthy choices for recipe ingredients, so here goes....
I was curious about what some of the other members had found that were healthy foods, not vegetables or fruits or complete recipes, just single grocery store items, that you had found to help with your dieting. For example, I will list some of my favorites.

- I Can't Believe its not Butter Spray

- Better 'n Butter Peanut Butter www.betternpeanutbutter.com
Serving Size: 2 Tbsp. Calories 100 Fat Calories 20 (Much, much better than most other organic peanut butters.)

- Mrs. Dash Salt-Free Original Blend

- Original No Salt Sodium Free Salt

- Butter Buds Butter Flavored Mix www.butterbuds.com
Serving Size: 1 Tbsp. (dry) equals 1/2 fl. oz. Calories 5 No Fat, No cholesterol

- Walden Farms Calories Free Specialties such as ketchup, BBQ sauce, honey mustard, most all salad dressings. Most all of their products are no calories, fat, carbs, glutens, or sugars of any kind. www.WaldenFarms.com

I use all of the usual fresh chicken, pork, fish, vegetables, and limited fruits but these others items have helped with seasoning and things to help improve the taste, or to especially provide healthier alternatives to salt and butter.

Replies

• AliciaMcNamar
    Options
    try PB2 at 45 cal per 2 tblsp
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I don't know that anyone would consider these healthy but I like Larabars. They average 180 - 200 calories each but most have no added sugar. Their sweetness comes from dried fruit. One of these with a glass of hour ends up satisfying my tummy so I don't reach for chips or a candy bar. Sometimes I'll eat half the bar between breakfast and lunch and the other half around 5:00 - 5:30 so I can make dinner without nibbling.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Lentils instead of either ground beef or veggie fake beef in things like sloppy joes and tacos.

I love Larabars! Especially Cherry Pie (such a strong cherry flavor, yum) and Ginger Snap. I find that regular (ie cheaper) protein-type bars are too sweet (I eat them anyway, but do they really have to make them so sweet?).
  • herrermimi
    Options
    Some of my favorites from the deli...YES from the deli:
    *Boars Head Low sodium roast beef
    *Boars head low sodium cheeses including, mosarella, muenster, baby swiss and Vermont cheddar
    *hummus...as a dip and as a spread for sandwiches
    *frozen red seedless grapes ( my daughters ideas and they are AWSOME)
    *lowfat cheese wedges like happy farms or laughing cow ( I use this to mely into pasta, as a dip for pretzels and as a sandwich spread)
  • effcla
    effcla Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I gave up baked goods and candy back in February so I stay away from those energy bars that to me are really glorified candy bars. It took me a while to find Larabars and while they are sweet, I appreciate the fact the sweetness is from dried fruit. And cherry pie and ginger snap are two of my favorite flavors too. :-)
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's Apple Cranberry Bran Muffins. Dense, tasty, satisfying, and only 80 calories per.
    (Larabars are good - I really like the Peanut Butter Chocolate - but they're just too calorically dense for my food plan at this point. Maybe when I can get more exercise in ... )
    Plain Greek yogurt - cut up some juicy fruits, like plums and nectarines, and mix in. Much more reasonable than the Greek yogurt with fruit already in there.
    Sirloin or London Broil - low in fat and carbs, high in protein and other nutrients. Trader Joe's sells an organic sirloin in a bag that you can microwave. For me it lasts two lunches, and I don't suffer hand-to-mouth disease those afternoons.
    Apples - core and cut one up, put the bits in a bowl, and nibble as you work. Pretend they're apple chips if you need to feel like you're indulging.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Any vegetable, meat, fruit nuts or seeds works just fine for me. I keep all these things in my house at all times!
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Almonds
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Mangos (mangoes?). Drool.
  • mela216r
    Options
    Thomasville 100 calorie, high fiber English muffins They make a great super-easy breakfast when topped with reduced fat PB and a generous amount of apple butter!! Yummy. Do a low sodium v8 and you have a nice, low calorie power breakfast.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Fry Light 1 cal spray, 1 skoosh on raw mushrooms then under the grill.. mmmm
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins! Love these!
    Egg whites in a carton
    Greek yogurt
    Wasa or Ryvita crispbread cracker thingies
    Laughing cow cheese wedges
    Emerald cocoa roasted almonds
    Frozen bags of edamame
    Tuna
  • Rebeccawks
    Rebeccawks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    MIracle Rice or Shirataki noodles: pasta substitutes, LOVE them. Lighter than regular pasta but ZERO cals. :) can't beat them. That, and Walden Farms and PB2
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The local health food store had Customer Appreciate Day on Saturday. I received a few samples of Larabars -- Apple Pie flavor. It was my first experience with them. I wish I had received more!

Also, in no particular order:
    * Quinoa
    * Salsa -- as a side next to, or on eggs; as a salad dressing; with black beans.
    * Fage Greek Yogurt -- cools down the hot salsa, and gets some dairy.
    * PB2 -- dehydrated peanut butter. Try mixing it with greek yogurt
    * Kashi 7-Grain Nuggets -- mixed with almond milk or 1/2 cup of organic applesauce. (Vermont Village)
    * Bob's Red Mill -- especially steel cut oatmeal, Museli and old fashioned oats
    * Fresh herbs from my garden.
    * Nuts: Raw, unsalted. (Cashews, Almonds, Pecans, Walnuts) -- Bulk, from the tubes at Hannaford's or the Health food market
    * Peanuts: Raw and unsalted. (same as nuts, or River Queen brand from Market Basket)
    * Sunflower seeds: Raw and unsalted. (same as nuts)
    * Bragg's Healthy Organic Vinaigrette
    * Fresh broccoli (cut up and "steam" in the microwave)
    * Sweet Potato (baked in microwave on "potato" setting; sprinkle with cinnamon.) (Baked potatoes have a high glycemic index -- raises blood sugar, which makes you hungry. Sweet Potatoes are low glycemic)
    * Frozen vegetables in bags that can be microwaved. (Plain, without sauces)
    * Arnold's Sandwich Thins -- whole wheat, of course. (They can be a little dry. Put a little more liquid with the PB2, or put a little Greek Yogurt on them instead of butter or mayo.)
    * Salmon Burgers: SeaPak from Sam's Club. (Put on Arnold's Sandwich Thin with Greek Yogurt. Wrap in foil, and take in insulated container for a picnic at outdoor concert. Eat within an hour or so.)
    * Bananas: One per day. I try to get the smaller ones, and not too ripe (Lots of good stuff in bananas, but the more ripe they are, the more sugar/calories they have, so I aim for the greener ones.)
    * Wild salmon. (fairly decent price found at Wal-mart or Market Basket, in the frozen food section)
    * Tilapia (a nice white fish; fairly decent price found at Wal-mart or Market Basket, in the frozen food section)
    * Chicken (breast has less calories, less fat, but we prefer the taste of thighs. Sprinkled with garlic powder and either dried basil or tarragon; baked. Cook a big package, to have left overs in 1 or 2 days. (Eat plain, or make a chicken salad when mixed with greek yogurt and dried or fresh basil or tarragon)
    * New York Sirloin (doesn't taste as good as Rib Eye, but has far less calories!)
    * Eggs: 1 or 2 whole eggs plus 1 or 2 egg whites. Omelet with veggies. Scrambled (add minced garlic, dried tarragon or fresh tarragon and/or fresh basil, a chopped sting cheese; top with salsa and greek yogurt on the side.)
    * Black beans (cooked with red pepper, onion, garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper); served with brown rice.

Lunch: Sunshine veggie burger. (My husband prefer's Dr. Praegers). We put our "hard salad" on top, and then a bit of salsa. (He takes it to work every day.) Microwave for 1-2 minutes. I put the salsa on after heating, and have greek yogurt on the side.

Hard Salad: Every few days we make a HUGE bowl of raw veggies: carrots, celery, fennel, broccoli, onion. Sometimes cauliflower, leek, kohlrabi, jicama. We put a handful of this on our veggie burgers. For dinner, we put a handful of this in a bowl with "soft vegetables," including lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers. (Hint: To keep it fresh, put a piece of paper towel on top of the salad; the paper towel absorbs some of the moisture.) I top my salad with Bragg's vinaigrette. Sunflower seeds if I can spare the calories.

That should be enough ideas! :)
    Enjoy. We do!
  • fit1976
    fit1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thomasville 100 calorie, high fiber English muffins They make a great super-easy breakfast when topped with reduced fat PB and a generous amount of apple butter!! Yummy. Do a low sodium v8 and you have a nice, low calorie power breakfast.

I toast one of these every morning (cut in half of course), top with a tbsp of salsa, and add to each side one cooked egg white with a small amt of low fat shredded chesse. Great low cal breakfast.
  • LMPMOM4
    Options
    Greek yogurt
    Fruit
    Peanut butter
    Carrots and hummus
    Olives
    Granola
    Deli meat
    Frozen winter squash. Heat in microwave. Add a little honey.
    Bagels
  • fit1976
    fit1976 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great repost. Thanks for all the great tips. I am always looking for items just like the things that you have mentioned.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    boneless skinless chicken....do whatever you want with it (besides fry)
    tuna.....nuff said there
    oatmeal
    spinach salad
    salmon
    peppers..anything from green to ghost
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    sounds more like "food like" items...not really food. in any case, I'll answer the question:

--diet soda
    --eggs
    --greek yogurt
    --cottage cheese