If you don't like it, then why do you eat it?

Options
13»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Food is more than fuel. It's fuel for the body, fuel for the soul, it's good for mental health, and it's a social thing as well.

That said, there is no reason to eat food you don't like. For example, there is NOTHING in oatmeal that you can't get from hundreds of other foods.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Great post! Very inspiring!
    I hate salad (yes, I am a vegetarian and I hate salad), but today I am going to eat it thinking about your post and trying to enjoy it as much as I can. Thank you :)
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Scott, you are the man! Love the post, as I love all of your posts.

Liz
  • rydersgrammy1
    Options
    I think most of us have to retrain our taste buds to eat what's good for us... Fortunately I like oatmeal but have a major problem with veggies...I finally have got to the point that I do eat some veggies but the ones I detest will never touch my lips....

Great post....
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Great post ...... thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts !

I was one of those kids, the kid sitting at the kitchen table long after the dinner dishes were put away, the kid staring at the lima beans LOL

And 4 years ago I said I would NEVER use skim milk ....... well, guess what ..... I gradually weaned myself off whole milk, off 2%, off 1% ...... now I use skim milk every day & find whole milk too "thick" .......

Still not crazy about lima beans though :drinker:

Only took my parents 1 time of me sitting at the table (sleeping eventually) for 6 hours and still not eating my 3 little teeny brussel sprouts to learn that I was more stubborn than they were regarding vegetables. However - I now eat brussel sprouts at least once or twice a month - not my favorite but I can eat them.

Your tastes change as you get older (and wiser!) so I've been re-trying some things I wouldnt eat before and some are ok, some I like - some not even going to retry -I'd eat roadkill before I'd eat liver!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    Options
    Learning about yourself is so huge in your journey to become healthy. I am so proud of you but I know that you must be even more proud of yourself...just as you should be!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Very insightful - thank you!
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Fat isn't bad for you, brah.
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    I do so love reading your posts...now I want my oatmeal. : )
  • elliemay63
    elliemay63 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Very insightful post. And WAY TO GO TEXANS!!
  • Seriousmom3
    Options
    I do so love reading your posts...now I want my oatmeal. : )
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    another great post from a terrific writer! thank you!
    I agree with a lot of what you said...sometimes, you just have to be an adult and do something because its the right thing to do. That said...if I really don't like something, I'm not going to eat it. Even if asparagus was a miracle food...I'm not eating it. BUT....I'm not going to reject a food without at least giving it a try or two or three. Tastes change. I know since I've been on this MFP journey, my tastes in food have changed a lot, and all to the better. If after giving that oatmeal or whatever a good try, I still didn't like it, I would find some other food that I did like, that I could make part of a healthy day, because I'm trying to make healthier eating a reward in itself, not a punishment. I could also find a way to make that same item palatable...oatmeal, for example, is great in smoothies.....asparagus, probably not so much.....
    I'm working hard to change my relationship with what I fuel my body with. Food and I have a sort of strange relationship...I cook for a living, I'm around food all day, every day, but that isn't the food that has caused my problems. That is all in a different pocket of my mind....its all the garbage I can have at HOME or at another restaurant that screams and tempts EAT ME and EAT WAY TOO MUCH.
    Scott, I wish you well on this journey we are all on...keep writing! I love reading what you have to say!
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Great post. Thank you for taking the time to really share your thoughts with us. I don't mind the length at all.

I've had the same struggle that you've had. I'm a very picky eater and most of the "healthy" stuff just doesn't taste good (in the best case scenario) or literally makes me gag (in some cases). I've slowly, very slowly, tried to introduce more healthy foods into my diet while still enjoying (albeit in much smaller portions) the foods I've always loved. It's a struggle, but like you I need to remove the emotional attachment I have to so many foods. This may be a lifelong battle for me, but I know that I'm strong, and I won't allow food to continue to have so much power over me. When I eat those "comfort foods" I want it to be because of a choice I made, knowing the consequences and allowing that it won't affect the rest of my day, not because I feel compelled to eat it to make myself feel better.

I commend your effort and just know that you're not alone.
  • c_smith_0789
    Options
    Great Post! And so true!
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Your posts are consistently funny, inspiring, true, and a joy to read. Keep on, man.

EDIT: Back on topic - I think there is a difference between learning to decouple food from emotion/comfort or attempting appreciate food that may be different in flavor than you have in the past, vs. eating stuff you outright dislike because it's "got the right numbers".

At the end of the day, if you HATE the food, you are not doing yourself a service by forcing yourself to eat it. I think that can be counterproductive to a diet change that you want to stick forever. There are LOTS of other foods that you could have for breakfast that would have an identical nutritional profile. They may not be "breakfast foods" but who cares about that?

That is, I hope this is a transitional phase for you, on the way to finding foods that you really do LOVE and are glad to eat for life. That's when you win.
  • surabhit
    surabhit Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    You are amazing. Inspiring!! And if most of us here could understand and live according to what you've written, we'd have won all our battles already.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I *make* myself eat greenbeans. I tried doing the same thing with oatmeal, and I just couldn't do it. Anything that makes me gag is a no-go. I'm so impressed with your will to make good choices, and, as always, I loved reading your post. :wink:
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Your posts are consistently funny, inspiring, true, and a joy to read. Keep on, man.

EDIT: Back on topic - I think there is a difference between learning to decouple food from emotion/comfort or attempting appreciate food that may be different in flavor than you have in the past, vs. eating stuff you outright dislike because it's "got the right numbers".

At the end of the day, if you HATE the food, you are not doing yourself a service by forcing yourself to eat it. I think that can be counterproductive to a diet change that you want to stick forever. There are LOTS of other foods that you could have for breakfast that would have an identical nutritional profile. They may not be "breakfast foods" but who cares about that?

That is, I hope this is a transitional phase for you, on the way to finding foods that you really do LOVE and are glad to eat for life. That's when you win.

Absolutely agree with this.
  • Eerinelizz
    Eerinelizz Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I force myself to drink fresh green juices because even though they're bitter, they make me feel like Wonder Woman afterward.

Me too! Not my favorite thing to eat/drink, but I love the way it makes me feel!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I liked this. I've been waiting to read it for days (been open in a separate tab) and glad I was finally able to.

I hated yogurt before I started my journey. One of the first changes I made was to start eating Greek yogurt. I'm glad I did but it took quite a lot of trial and error before I figured out what I liked to mix with it to make it taste good (stevia, honey, and black berries).